Groomer And/or Bc People

Muttly

Bella is a bush. She is working lines and I don't think I have seen as mutant boofer bush coat as she. I have read and sought opinions and keep hearing hair grows back bad yada yada. I want to clip as the heat is really hard on her. What do people think, will it make any difference in the regrowth? This is a reasonable pic of her winter coat which doesn't really fully shed til near winter again :laugh:

post-4653-1195467298_thumb.jpg

Does she spend a lot of time outside in the sun? You have to remember she will burn more easily.

While we can all say, no dont do it, sometimes it comes to a point where you HAVE to. I groomed a Kees like that. His coat just grew and grew and grew until he was a big huge ball on legs. In the end the owners opted to clip him back, and he was a different dog. I dont know if they kept it up, as we lost contact.

Most coats will grow back fine, but you will probably find you have to have your BC done annually once you start. I have done a BC who did not grow back very well at all, so they had to keep him short all year. He was a bit patchy, but he was also quite old, so it was not that big a deal.

Only you can decide.........good luck!

Thanks Rysup, she is outside a lot during the day but doesn't bake, seeks shade, though that is a good point. I used to have a non-pigmented short coat and had to use sunscreen on her. Maybe if it was half length it would give enough protection. Did the people who had to keep annual clips have to do so because of the direction of hair etc?

Her coat gets so so long and bushy that she looks like the head shrinkers have got to her :laugh: It wasn't quite as severe in Melbourne but it wasn't as cold. And it is almost like it is getting more mutant with age re/ length around paws etc

Edited by Muttly

To do a shorter clip without taking all the hair off, you will need to make sure she is thoroughly groomed through before the clip, and then the groomer can use a comb to do it at a longer length, to give her more sun protection.

Just realise too, that it may not start to grow back until the time of year she would normally blow her coat. Some dogs thats only once a year.

Thanks, she seems to be fairly constantly moulting so not sure it is only once. Seems to be worst now and again Autumn. She is well groomed but will matt from having a harness on for a car trip. Matts really quickly:(

Clip her :laugh: You say she's heavy coated, active etc..... I clip sooo many Borders and don't understand what the fuss is about. Once you clip, you never go back :rolleyes: Just make sure they do a #7 which leaves adequate coat on, quite a few groomers around here do Borders with a #10/15, which is way too short IMO. They look like puppies clipped and behave like them a bit too. I clipped a Newfy X Border last week, owners phoned me today to say it's given him a new lease on life.

Edited by Dru

A couple I am MADE to clip are that thick from being clipped every year have to be done with 10#. There is no getting under that matted undercoat any other way. Ive tried. I would never clip a BC if it were up to me.

Edited by Doggrooma

She is not matted and well loved :laugh: I can imagine in her in some one else's care :rolleyes: What do you think Jules? I am now leaning towards the Edward Scissor Hands? Furinator/Mars thingy.

Anyone recommend anyone in the ACT area?

I'd be trying to borrow the right size Coat King and try it yourself Muttley. It will definitely thin out the coat. If you can't borrow one with the right blade, you can buy them direct from their website and they offer advice on the right blade for your dog.

Thank you everyone :laugh: I don't mean to be a precious-pup, but don't want to bugger up any further that is a tad 'mutant' in proportions :rolleyes: I am going to try the Coat King or equivalent - I will post in the next couple of weeks the 1) Divine, 2) seriously divine pics :o :wink: