Boris Is Getting Operated On Today

Back from the vet again, he is bleeding so much they have to operate to find where the bloods coming from.

I cant believe this happened so fast.

Today I woke to find his ear had burst overnight and it wasnt pretty, blood everywhere.

His beautiful face looks like a balloon of fur and swuishy fluid, as does his ear and neck/chest/chin

Im in shock and told them to get him fixed no matter what, i was a blobbering mess in the vets, I tried to

compose myself but hes my heart and soul right there.

Wish him luck, hes going to need it.

Edited by saintlysusan

What happened to his ear?

Poor Boris. good luck with his op. Keep us up to date.

I dont exactly know, I believe a ear infection caused him to shake his head vigoursly, that triggered a swollen ear lobe ( very swollen, like 3 inches thick)...then overnight the swelling spread to his neck, its 3/4 basketball size mass of fluid ( probally blood) then this morning the swelling spread to all his face, neck jaw jowels... then burst from the pressure and hes at the vets now to find where the bloods coming from and they should have done this yesturday I believe.

Thankyou everyone.

Hes home today, hes very sore and still very swollen.

He has one allmighty hole in his ear where it burst and I could literally stuck my thumb inside (wouldnt of course)

and I can see the white tendant easily.

Hes got a major staff infection, several different medications which he happily takes and has to go back again tomorrow.

The vet didnt drain his neck which I thought he would, he said it will (hopefully) go away over a few days.

He believes the infection has either dammaged or burst his ear drums, only time will tell.

So basically he has to stay in and shake the fluids out as much as possible before it can start to heal.

Hes not allowed outside for too long as flies could cause a much bigger problem and the vet is worried theres been alot of tissue damage and he may still lose the ear...........

Im going to give it a week and then if its not getting better, Im getting a 2nd opinon at a different vet.

OMG yet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor boris what an ordeal he is going thru.

As for seeking a second opinion.. i would be expecting to see some improvement quickly and would not be waiting a week. massive infection like this can get out of control rapidly as you now know. I would also be looking at a vet checkup visit on day 2 and every second day thereafter until both you and the vet are satisfied that the healing is progressing well.

healing thoughts heading out to boris

H

As for seeking a second opinion.. i would be expecting to see some improvement quickly and would not be waiting a week. massive infection like this can get out of control rapidly as you now know. I would also be looking at a vet checkup visit on day 2 and every second day thereafter until both you and the vet are satisfied that the healing is progressing well.

agree here !!!

Did the vet give you an insect repellant or anything?

If you want him to be outside... you can maybe make him a loose 'snood' out of some light cotton... it may also be helpful in absorbing some of the discharge.

The vet said to only have supervised outside due to flies being attracted to the open wound and suggested not covering it so it can drain freely, he believes covering it will make it spread and increase in size.

Thursday is his next check up and likely every few days after that so it wont really be a week, I do want to follow through with this vet as he knows his history and is the vet who has done all the tests etc.

To be honest I cant afford to get it all done again, the vet bill is a tad over $800 so far and only going to get higher!

He is on very strong drugs to fight the infection and im watching him like a hawk, I allready see a slight improvment, its slowly starting to decrease in size but will take time I guess.

However the vet didnt put in any of those drain tubes and he said that was because they are generally used when theres holes that wont heal and his wound was way open...and dont get me started on his neck, no draining there either!

I am about to give him a very careful bath, he stinks to billiow and is covered in old blood etc.

His cheeky personality is starting to come back so Im not quiet so stressed today.

Will try to post some pics..

Any advice warmly welcomed if it helps my baby...

post-12900-1195601875_thumb.jpg

post-12900-1195601906_thumb.jpg

Edited by saintlysusan

The vet said to only have supervised outside due to flies being attracted to the open wound and suggested not covering it so it can drain freely, he believes covering it will make it spread and increase in size.

Yep..that is why I suggested he wear the 'snood' when on his short toilet run . flies are so quick :rofl:

he does look more comfortable in those pics. Poor boy.

You will be very glad to see it all healed up!