Dog Seems To Be Scared Of Clicker

This is interesting because someone on another thread not long ago found the same thing. IMHO you should immediately stop using the clicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't even try another one during training. You are pairing something that is scaring your dog (clicker) with something you want only to be associated with great stuff and fun (training). I would use a verbal marker instead (I use yes but you can say whatever you like lol). I guess if you really really wanted to use clicker for some reason you could try pairing it with something fantastic like the best food your dog loves, OUTSIDE OF TRAINING, say in the lounge room or something. But I wouldn't go there if I were you. In saying this I've got nothing against clicker. I use verbal marker for most but have found clicker absolutely invaluable for teaching slight independence during stays, as an intermediate reinforcer. The sound of approval is the clicker and is paired with treat, so is very appealing. But, it is not my voice and has helped with independence. It's a bit subtle but just thought Id chuck that in. I just wouldn't go with anything scary during training though. :thumbsup: But your dog could still learn to love clicker in another context and you could bring it into training later if you absolutely wanted to. I love voice best though:)

I went through this not long ago with my kelpie......he used to freak out and try and run away or freeze up and shut down. I thought I would share how I went with him.....because I thought he would be scared forever and he turned around in about 5 weeks......

I was prepared not to use a clicker with him, however if anyone else near by was using a clicker he would freeze up and switch off. Not very useful if I ever get to obedience trial stage and other people maybe using them outside the ring or where ever. And I didn't want him freaking out at any time over a simple noise.

And besides i love a challenge........

So I got an i-click, its a much nicer click and would wander around the house with the i-click in one pocket and cheese in the other......using a very high value treat was the key, it ahs to be something the dog loves and will really do anything to get. Cheese was the answer for me.

I held the clicker tightly in my pocket (it muffled it so it was a lot quieter) and would click it and throw the dog cheese, landing it right in front of him, never handed it to him....wtihout making a fuss of it, without looking at him or paying him attention. I did not tell him he was good if he ate the cheese because it was up to him to realise it was no different than the kettle boiling or the microwave binging...it was a part of life. This was just something that happened randomly in different rooms about the house, at different times....close together of 1/2 hour apart. I didn't care if he was close to me or not .......as long as he was close enough he could just hear it. He never got this high value treat any other time except with a click..... At first he would take a few steps back away from the noise or move to the other side fo the room .....if he chose to ignore the treat I just carried on doing dishes or what ever......I left the treat as his choice....its there and its up to him to eat it or not.

Guaranteed it didn't stay there for long....especially if he was a little hungry!!!

Gradually I took the clicker out of my pocket but still held it tightly. And I would sit on the couch watching tv, and get him nice and relaxed next to me. And I would click and give him cheese (without looking at him) just radomly throughout the show......he fliched a few times and ignored the treat.....but I paid no attention, didn't tell him he was good for taking the treat or didn't tell him off if he moved away. It was his choice.

It took a few weeks and he stopped worrying about the click so much....the click had been happening at different times in different rooms and it never hurt him, never caused anything to happen.....so he started to realise he was safe......and the click ment cheese was on its way....and yummo who can resist cheese.

Then I started noticing that when he heard the click he would flick an ear with interest and wait for the treat.........the treat was winning over his fear of the noise.

I eventually worked up to clicking and handing him the treat while doing the tv exercise......and we did this for a few weeks.....until he associated the click and treat was from me. Once he was comfy with the click and treat from my hand, I started using it to teach him new things.

I have now been teaching him a few basic exercises with the click and treat.......touch my hand, touch a pointer and an in front exercise. He gets excited now when I pick up the clicker because he knows there is cheese to earn.

So although not every dog can be clicker trained, I guess some of them can be desensitised to it......lets face it most dogs get desensitized to noises around the house.......they aren't scared of the kettle or the microwave or washing machine.....because its a part of life. There is no reason the click noise is any different to these noises or the phone ringing......it can be a part of life too!

And in my case this worked.....I was prepared to give it up on advice from people....but now it was worth the time and effort to help him realise it wasn't going to hurt him, that it actually ment something yummy was coming.

Did you condition the dog to the clicker? As in click, treat, click, treat, click, treat and continue until the dog is looking for the treat? Have a look and see if you can make the clicker quieter, mine adjusts. if it doesn't you could probably muffle it in a sock or something until the dog realises it means a good thing. But you do need to teach the dog it is a good thing first.

I still wouldn't use a clicker in training until you've sorted the problem out, to avoid associating stressful stuff with training for the dog. He/she will make this connection all too easily!!!

I like the i-click too. it has a nice sound, is kind of nice 'ergonomic' lol to hold and is easy to press with that button, so easy to get timing right. :laugh:

I like the idea of training him to like the clicker - even if you decide not to use it later - at least you will overcome any issues you would face with other people clicking during training!

Perhaps start with a softer click (clicky pen, juice bottle top, the other brand of clicker ...) but I would think you would want to build as he gets used to each until you have him happy with the box also - since you dont really want them freaking at any of the noises you are likely to hear at training...

good post Shellybeggs! That method sounds good!

Bridget