Help! My Backyard Stinks!

sarahjane

We've had our gorgeous 5 month old staffie since August, and he is finally getting the hang of going outside to the toliet. The problem is, our backyard is mostly paved, and we both work, so are unable to stop him from going to the loo on it during the day.

We have been diligent with him, and take him out after his breakfast, dinner, and every hour or two and put him on the strip of grass to tinkle - but he must be doing it on the pavement when we are not there! It's coming into warmer weather now, and it is starting to smell like a horse stable! Can anyone suggest what cleaning products work best to remove the awful smell? How do I get our head-strong staffie to only wee (an poop!) on the grass??? :laugh:

We've had our gorgeous 5 month old staffie since August, and he is finally getting the hang of going outside to the toliet. The problem is, our backyard is mostly paved, and we both work, so are unable to stop him from going to the loo on it during the day.

We have been diligent with him, and take him out after his breakfast, dinner, and every hour or two and put him on the strip of grass to tinkle - but he must be doing it on the pavement when we are not there! It's coming into warmer weather now, and it is starting to smell like a horse stable! Can anyone suggest what cleaning products work best to remove the awful smell? How do I get our head-strong staffie to only wee (an poop!) on the grass??? :laugh:

Whereabouts are you? One of my clients makes cleaning products and has a cleaner/disinfectant that contains citronella as a fly repellent for just this sort of thing

Whereabouts are you? One of my clients makes cleaning products and has a cleaner/disinfectant that contains citronella as a fly repellent for just this sort of thing

I am really interested in ths product, I am in Sydney

Apologies for highjacking the thread, but sometimes, my 2 will go on the patio - especially when its raining and ours is smelling a bit too.

We have a paved courtyard too, and we scrub it down twice a week with hot water and Simple Green. It is an environmentally friendly disinfectant and is also, as I understand, not poisonous if ingested, which is great, as Dolly has kongs full of treats which she drags all over the place and eats, plus bones etc. Just makes me worry less about her ingesting poisonous residue. Also doesn't matter if you hose it down the drain. It does get rid of the smell.

How large is your yard area? Given that Citronella is commonly known as an aversive smell to dogs, I can't say I'd be keen on knowing that a small yard/courtyard in which my dog has no choice but to be housed, would comprise of the smell of Citronella that he couldn't get away from.

Don't know how much Citronella is involved in the formula referred to earlier, but remember that a dog's nose is far more powerful and sensitive than ours.

I have tried delete and it is very good.

Another alternative, which I was told about was enzymes in washing powders. I have tried Radiant with enzymes and it works really well, the smell is just great. You only need a tiny amount in a bucket of water. I hose off the area. Apply a small amount of radiant mixed in a bucket of water. Leave it on for ten minutes and then hose it off. The whole area smells great.

Good old Phenyl will do the trick cheap and from the supermarkets I think they call it Wheelie bin cleaner though now.

This works great.....my dog run is really my back verandah and has wooden deck......the smell was soaking into the wood and nothing could get the smell out.

The Phenyl worked great, no smell and no flies!!!!

It cost me $3 for Phenyl wheelie bin cleaner (it says for animal enclosures on it).....its 1 litre concentrate and you mix it 1 in 50.

It is a bargain and works wonders!!!!

I also use phenyl, in fact I use every product known to man.... and the only ting I don't like about phenyl is that your yard ends up smelling a little like a toilet.

I walked into a petrol station the other week and was greeted by a gorgeous scent. I asked the cashier waht it was and she said they used a lemon disenfectant. Lemon is such a fresh smell. I guess it wouldn't kill the odour though and would only mask it.

I use Pet Goe, its a natural product so is safe for your dogs and gets rid of the pet smell better than any other product I have used.

It leaves a pleasent smelling lemon scent for the first day and after that there is no smell at all. I have used it on the pavers outside and also on tiles inside and even on the grass outside (it wont kill grass or plants). Its an enzyme so removes the smell forever and also disinfects.

Here is their website: http://www.goeaustralia.com.au/pet/pet.html

You can buy it in WA at City Farmers in a spray, and I have also called them directly and bought it in bulk.

As I said in another thread try Delete, it's a deodorant and disinfectant and works wonders.

Delete is fantastic.

I use it for everything even washing my floors inside.

It smells great and is all natural.

Can be purchased in every state.

Leanne

Guest LoveMyCuddledog

I can imagine that the citronella would be a deterrant to the dog too?

LINK

Scroll down to the cironella disifectant.

They are at Riverstone but deliver all over Sydney

I had to dig this thread up to say - THIS PRODUCT IS BRILLIANT!!!

I purchased some on Janba's advice here and I tried it on the weekend and washed down all of my porch and pavers. I was concerned thinking that the smell of the citronella would be a bit yukko but it wasn't. The whole yard smelled fresh and clean and the flies, although they hovered, did not want to land anywhere.

I only used about 30 ml in a large bucket of hot water and used a soft broom to 'scrub' the pavers with. No rinsing.

I thoroughly recommend this stuff. I ordered it and it was delivered the next day too so it is great service as well!

I can imagine that the citronella would be a deterrant to the dog too?

It wasn't overpowering (I would describe the scent as fresh actually) and my dogs didn't seem to mind it. They havn't urinated yet where I used it either but this could be coincidental.

If you are using a Phenyl based product, make sure that you do not have cats or that you thoroughly rinse the area. Phenyl is toxic and can be deadly to cats.

The most economical and water saving method of using a disinfectant is by using in a weed pump/spray pack. This ensures the product is evenly distrubuted and that hard to reach area's are disinfected.

Edited by Vizsla