When Is The Best Time To Give Main Meal.

moggy

When do you give your dog his/her main meal of the day? Is it better to give it in the morning or evening?We have 2 Chihuahuas, 3 years old and 4 months old. I have been giving them a chicken neck for breakfast, a small amount of dry food to nibble on during the day and their main meal.... mince, rice, peas and grated carrot stew at around 5 pm.

If they are VERY good they get a little icecream for dessert.

Moggy

Our GSD gets two meals being a pup, eats only after we eat first... then we put away her bowl... We used to feed her first to get it out of the way but her behavour was incredibly bad, she thought she ran the household. Had an amzing turn around in her behaviour now that we eat first, no matter what time of the day. She doesnt jump on the bench for food anymore, doesnt winge now she knows her place... Strict yes but it sure works...

I give my dogs their main meal in the morning - purely for my own reasons - I prefer them to poop during the day outside :thanks: At night they have papers for little accidents. :mad

Only for adult dogs - when they are young they get fed 2-3 times a day depending on age. :p I only feed my adult dogs once a day unless there's weight problem.

Twice a day, roughly even sized meals, morning and evening, and always after we have eaten.

Had intended to have just one evening meal once past the puppy stage, but our vet said that a morning meal would increase the dog's metabolism. This would assist weight control in our food obsessed lab/GSD, which would become a big fat bloater left to his own devices. Don't know if this theory is true - I know it is in humans - but the dog seems happy enough.