Desexing

Tiger_bluez

I am going to get my 5 months old pup 'Zoya' desexed on wednesday. It's slightly more expensive than RSPCA but it's convenience because it closes to my house. I asked receptionist if there any other cost. and she mentioned about 20$ extra to remove her baby teeth and 30$ extra to remove her dew claw (?) if she has any.

My experience with vets are they are seem always charge extra for things that i only acknowledge when it has done. Until now i haven't found a good vet with reasonable cost that i can go to all the time.

My cats (1 deceased) only been to vet for annual vaccination or when something that i concern about.

my question is: is it necessary to have her baby teeth/ dew claw removed before she is desexed?

cheers

I have never had a puppies baby teeth removed unless there was a problem with the way they were erupting and that has only happened once.

I would probably consider removal of hind dew claws if she has them as the are not attached by bone and can get caught in things and injured easily. Front dew claw removal is a lot more major in an older dog as they attached by bone, so the recovery time is longer and it is more painful.

ETA I have never had a vet suggest tooth or dew claw removal when I have had a pup neutered. The only things my vet normally asks is about pre anaesthetic bloodtests and if I want the dog on a drip during the op.

Edited by Janba

I've never worked at a Vet Clinic where they didn't charge extra for those things- you can't do it yourself, you're paying for the Vet's expertise to do so.

I think the all important word there was IF she needed them done, does she have hind dew claws? Because these days we tend to leave the front ones on. Also if there's a tooth (generally a canine) that has been pushed aside, will not come out of it's own accord, and will cause decay to the new permanent tooth then you wouldn't want to have to pay an extra anaesthetic to have it removed in another few months would you?

Mel.

Neve heard of removing puppy teeth, Dante's came out by themselves with the help of chewing some apples and toys.

Dew Claws would be good to get removed, saves them from ripping them off, although I do have an old girl here still with them and no issues.

Edited by sas

i realise that i have to PAY for those extra things but it will be nice if i am informed before the procedure be done so i know how much money i need to pay the service. Of course if my dog has the problem regarding the issue mentioned i will definitely get her treated straight away. My question was if it's necessary to get her baby teeth removed and her dew claws removed (IF SHE HAS ONE) prior desexing time. There is no need to be harsh

cheers

i realise that i have to PAY for those extra things but it will be nice if i am informed before the procedure be done so i know how much money i need to pay the service. Of course if my dog has the problem regarding the issue mentioned i will definitely get her treated straight away. My question was if it's necessary to get her baby teeth removed and her dew claws removed (IF SHE HAS ONE) prior desexing time. There is no need to be harsh

No one has been harsh with you :laugh: It seems your dog has not yet been desexed so you have been informed before the procedure.

I would not agree to having puppy teeth extracted unless the second teeth have already erupted and the baby teeth are in the way and interfering with the alignment of the second teeth. Of course if the baby teeth are loose they will come out on their own. My dog didn't start teething until she was 6 months old and yours is 5 months old? Has she started teething yet?.

Re: dew claws. Do you know what they are? I ask because you said IF SHE HAS ONE. If your pup has rear dew claws on both hind legs it is probably a good idea to have them removed. The dew claws on each front leg are usually left as they are.

I personally wouldnt be going to a vet that suggests removing baby teeth !unless like said b4 there is a problem with them; I also agree with other comments re dew claws ;some of my dogs still have thier front ones & provided they are kept under contol (by trimming)you shouldnt have any problems

my question is: is it necessary to have her baby teeth/ dew claw removed before she is desexed?

No, definitely not. Baby teeth fall out on their own without any need of surgical intervention, in some breeds you may get a retained canine tooth and if this is the case you can ask a vet to remove it, but at 5 months your puppy hasn't even finished teething so I would suggest that you tell the vet to leave her teeth alone.

If your dog has hind dew claws by all means have them removed, but if she's like most dogs and only has them on her front legs then leave them, she is unlikely to have problems with them and removal isn't necessary. Some breeders remove dew claws a day or so after birth when it is easily done, but it's a far bigger procedure to have them taken off at 5 months.

Just have your dog desexed, the other procedures are totally unnecessary and it sounds like a money making exercise to me, if it were me I would be finding another vet.

Hi

sorry for taking some of the replies in a wrong way. I am pretty sure no one try to be harsh with me. yesterday was my rough day. I have been in this forum for awhile and i have been experienced and seen some nasty comments from people in here.

anyway :) today i took Zoya to the Vet and i have to leave her there cause they only can operate her in the morning and i am working very early and can't drop her at 9 am. So she has to stay in the vet alone ( i am so worried and house feel empty without her) tonight and tomorrow afternoon i will come and pick her up when i finish work.

The vet said that Zoya has very good teeth and everything in perfect condition. So I am quite happy.

thanks again for the replies. this forum is the only place i can get information regarding my puppy health. please be patient with my might-sound-so-stupid questions :cool:

cheers everyone

xoxo

Sorry perhaps I misinterpreted your first post. :cool:

We don't take out baby teeth unless they are causing a problem. :cool:

You always have the liberty of requesting that the Vet phone you whilst the surgery is in progress to ask your permission for any extra procedures, and you can also request that they call you with a total cost before you get there (or generally they can tell you when you call in the afternoon for a progress report).

Mel. :)

I just picked up Zoya from the vet this afternoon. It cost me $238. I am not worried about the cost at all though prefer if its cheaper :( but my puppy far more precious that anything else.

Zoya looks so sleepy and abit sook. I feel sorry for her and tomorrow morning that i have to leave her early at 5 am to go to work.

Thanks for the replies...

cheers

xoxo

If a 5-6month old dog comes in for desexing in our clinic and still has their puppy canines (by this I mean that the adult teeth are fully down, but the puppy canines have failed to fall out, as the adult teeth did not erupt directly under the puppy teeth) we remove them. Saves the owners having to come back in a few months and have another anaesthetic to remove them if/when they still haven't fallen out. Generally speaking, often if they haven't fallen out by the time the adult teeth are completely down, they won't come out on their own and can lead to over crowding of the teeth and other problems.

post-16998-1196238188.jpg

If a 5-6month old dog comes in for desexing in our clinic and still has their puppy canines (by this I mean that the adult teeth are fully down, but the puppy canines have failed to fall out, as the adult teeth did not erupt directly under the puppy teeth) we remove them. Saves the owners having to come back in a few months and have another anaesthetic to remove them if/when they still haven't fallen out. Generally speaking, often if they haven't fallen out by the time the adult teeth are completely down, they won't come out on their own and can lead to over crowding of the teeth and other problems.

This is similar to what my Italian Greyhound's canine looked like. It wasnt until he was about 6 months or so that it finally fell out. I would say that it might be a good idea to base it on the breed cause if it was my case it would have then been a waste of money for me.(not that I would get my boy desexed as he is my show boy) I would probably advise owners first to offer a couple of good bones over 1-2 weeks and see if it comes out on its own and then if it doesnt then look into it further etc etc.

Just my opinions but I think it is important not to jump the gun and put our beloved dogs through undue pain.

This is similar to what my Italian Greyhound's canine looked like. It wasnt until he was about 6 months or so that it finally fell out. I would say that it might be a good idea to base it on the breed cause if it was my case it would have then been a waste of money for me.(not that I would get my boy desexed as he is my show boy) I would probably advise owners first to offer a couple of good bones over 1-2 weeks and see if it comes out on its own and then if it doesnt then look into it further etc etc.

Just my opinions but I think it is important not to jump the gun and put our beloved dogs through undue pain.

I agree with you, but its mainly just about convenience and being cost effective for owners. It doesn't do any harm to remove the teeth, and usually only costs about $30 on top of desexing. If the teeth don't end up coming out on their own, then the animal will need another anaesthetic, which can be stressful for the pup, and expensive for owners.

this forum is the only place i can get information regarding my puppy health. please be patient with my might-sound-so-stupid questions :)

Hi Tiger. It takes a while to find a good vet that gets back to you or rings you at work say, to tell you the dog needs "extra" work done. It took us years but for us, we needed an experienced vet for our show dogs and wouldn't compromise until we found the right person. we found one now who i ask for a quote straight up and he never wavers off that quote he's given me.

if you find a good vet you can ask him/her anything and they will be able to answer you. its all about trust too. for us, its all about working together and having a good vet as a backing.

but this forum on the other hand is quite good at obtaining info about dogs too. :thumbsup:

cheers

Louisa

pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are the 'dew claws' ? what do they look like and where are they located ? do all breeds have them ?

Dew claws are located on the inside of the front legs just above the paw, most dogs have them on their front legs, but some dogs also have them on the rear legs and in some breeds rear dew claws are required as part of the breed standard. They are just a claw that grows out of the side of the leg. If you have dew claws on your dog (some breeders remove them at 2/3 days of age) you need to clip them in just the same way that you clip the claws on their feet otherwise they will grow in a circle or in some cases grow into the dog's leg. This is a common occurrence in SWF's who aren't properly groomed as frequently the owners don't even know that they're there.