Tick Information

sheree_e4

Can someone tell me when Tick season finishes?

Thanks

High peak is the warmer months, Sept through to March, but the little buggers can be an issue the whole year round.

Look out especially after rain fall.

Another tid bit to add is remember to avoid having your yard bushy. Trim back over grown areas, especially if your dogs like to hang out in those spots.

Have a question about Frontline plus - as I have two small dogs (under 10kg), and intend to start treating them fortnightly with Frontline Plus, can I buy the 10 - 20kg packs of Frontline plus and give the dogs half a dose each? Seems a much cheaper way to do it, and I wouldnt have to worry about storing it like i would with only one dog...

Thanks

Some people do split packs, but if the product is in ineffective or causes a problem, Merial (people who make Frontline) won't have a bar of you because you haven't followed the manufactures directions.

But if you do decided to do it, make sure you get a 1ml syringe so you can accurately draw up the correct dosage for an under 10 kg dog.

Having said that, with the bad track record Frontline spot on has had with flea control the last few years we are having second thoughts on recommending it as tick prevention. The spray still seems to be doing a good job though. For a tick control top spot, I would prefer Advantix. Just remember to be cautious when using if you have cats in your household and only ever apply it to dogs.

Thanks

High peak is the warmer months, Sept through to March, but the little buggers can be an issue the whole year round.

Another tid bit to add is remember to avoid having your yard bushy. Trim back over grown areas, especially if your dogs like to hang out in those spots.

Actually it really depends on where you live as to the higher peak times for paralysis tick,in our area ticks are around all year and are worst from march onwards they tend to die off a bit around sept/oct and its pretty quiet up until march again,in the last week we have had 4 cases.

Also if it rains and then is humid the next day you can almost guarentee ticks being active.

I typically live in a boiling in summer but bitterly cold in winter area, but we do occasionally see the odd tick case mid June/July. Often these tend to be the more severe cases, because tick control has lacked and so have the daily searches.

Guest Travvy
There has been lots of threads reguarding ticks lately so I thought I would post all info I have on them so everyone can read it.Maybe it could get pinned later for future referance.

For those who have found a tick on your dog - Remove the tick ASAP it does not matter if the head stays in it will die.

check your dog all over it could have more than 1 tick.

KEEP your dog in a crate or laundry away from noise and keep them quiet for at least 48hrs if they are NOT showing any signs.

If your dog is....breathing differently, temp,vomiting,wobbly at all (even slightly),gurgly,coughing,change of voice take the dog to a vet IMMEDIATLEY.

DO NOT feed your dog or leave water with it. your dog could choke and/or get pneumonia.

REMEMBER even if your dog is on prevention it can still get ticks.

If your dog swims tick collars are useless.

for maximum protection use frontline(every 14 days) in conjuction with proban(every 2 days)

or for cheaper use frontline(every 14 days) and permoxin(weekly)

or advantix.

eta I will continue to update this thread as I recieve more info.

I just used Advantix on my baby Pomeranian and found it scalded him baldy...very badly. Does anyone else have a puppy that has had this reaction to Advantix? The producut info says it can be used on puppies 6 weeks and older. I wanted to ensure my puppy was protected as we were heading into scrubby country for the Easter Shows.

What is the next best product to use on a tiny toy dog?

Just had a girl from work say that her dog picked up a paralysis tick in the Loch Sport area of Victoria (Gippsland) 2 weeks ago (April). Some friends and I are travelling to Gippsland in a couple of weeks for one week with our dogs.

What would you recommend we use on our dogs for a one week stay? Frontline Plus 48 hours prior to the trip has been recommended. Is this sufficient?

I just used Advantix on my baby Pomeranian and found it scalded him baldy...very badly. Does anyone else have a puppy that has had this reaction to Advantix? The producut info says it can be used on puppies 6 weeks and older. I wanted to ensure my puppy was protected as we were heading into scrubby country for the Easter Shows.

What is the next best product to use on a tiny toy dog?

I would use frontline spray on a puppy, you must make sure the pup is covered all over(wet), you are better off using too much than not enough.

Just had a girl from work say that her dog picked up a paralysis tick in the Loch Sport area of Victoria (Gippsland) 2 weeks ago (April). Some friends and I are travelling to Gippsland in a couple of weeks for one week with our dogs.

What would you recommend we use on our dogs for a one week stay? Frontline Plus 48 hours prior to the trip has been recommended. Is this sufficient?

Give frontline top spot 2 days before arrival, you could also give proban tablets every 2nd day, 1 tab per 10kg while you are away they are safe to use in conjuction with frontline. You MUST still check your dog twice a day for ticks - nothing is 100% effective

• 1 month later...

A very important topic.I have just recently lost my kelpie Bo to a paralysis tick, I live in a tick prone area (Marlo, Vic) but had never encountered them before. I used frontline and checked her for ticks and despite vet care we still lost her. It is a devastating thing to happen to your dog so I advise everyone read tick imformation and be aware. I have got a pup ordered from a breeder and am terrified it could happen again. I think proban maybe the go if it is safe on pups. Has anyone tried Rose geraium, citronella and bayleaf mixed in water as a repellent? Cheers Kaye

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent tick prevention ideas!

A question..... I go to a tick infested area once a month on average. Now we will be taking our six month old cocker spaniel.

What do others suggest I do with Proban? Start it on the morning we set off on our drive, or a day or two earlier?

I have never heard of Proban before reading this tick stuff so it is great to learn about it.

I use Frontline for flea control and understand I can still use this in conjunction with Proban... which is good because Pup loves to swim and frontline protection gone when he does that!

Thanks

Actually it really depends on where you live as to the higher peak times for paralysis tick,in our area ticks are around all year and are worst from march onwards they tend to die off a bit around sept/oct and its pretty quiet up until march again,in the last week we have had 4 cases.

Also if it rains and then is humid the next day you can almost guarentee ticks being active.

certainly depends on where you are. On the NSW south coast - Jervis Bay area - we have noted that we get ticks all year round now, no break from them during winter months. Rotten things.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Can you use a tick collar and proban together? My girl is at the vets at the moment fighting a tick that I pulled off her 2 days ago. Or should I just use the proban and the permoxin?

can you use advantix and proban together? as my dog loves the water so tick collar no good. :thumbsup:

+ 1 for checking daily! Our Westie is an absolute magnet for paralysis ticks - so much so hes developed a bit of immunity to them.

the other day while bathing him I found a paralysis tick on the outside corner of BOTH eyes . We check him daily.. but had missed these 2 little buggers. Hes already been in the vets once and had the anti-serum - luckily we caught it in time.

Please please check your pet all the time !

Edited by Bordeaux

Okay I have had no experience with ticks so thought I'd come and ask some advice please! I've lived here (Penrith, Western Sydney) for about 30 years and never had a tick on a dog. My grass is short, no garden in the backyard and the dogs haven't been out this week. I was minding a dog for someone and she came here on Monday. She was picked up this morning and her owner has just rung to let me know she had a tick on her. She didn't take her to the vet - her daughter removed the tick - apparently her daughter's dog has had ticks a couple of times and she was sure it was a tick. Is it possible that the tick came with her on Monday? She said it was blackish and looked like a wart? Her daughter had to dig it out as it was embedded. Would that have been a paralysis tick? I did say that I thought paralysis ticks were lighter in colour and she said it may have been so not real clear on that.....

Three years ago I found a tick on my dog and the only place he had been was Sydney Park. Sure enough, vet said that had the odd case came from there. I only found it because after living in the bush on the NSW coast I was used to feeling my way over the dogs all the time.

I also think you feel them more easily with your hands, than you find them by looking (if that makes sense). And checking in ears and up the nose with a little torch if you have one.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you use a tick collar and proban together? My girl is at the vets at the moment fighting a tick that I pulled off her 2 days ago. Or should I just use the proban and the permoxin?
Okay I have had no experience with ticks so thought I'd come and ask some advice please! I've lived here (Penrith, Western Sydney) for about 30 years and never had a tick on a dog. My grass is short, no garden in the backyard and the dogs haven't been out this week. I was minding a dog for someone and she came here on Monday. She was picked up this morning and her owner has just rung to let me know she had a tick on her. She didn't take her to the vet - her daughter removed the tick - apparently her daughter's dog has had ticks a couple of times and she was sure it was a tick. Is it possible that the tick came with her on Monday? She said it was blackish and looked like a wart? Her daughter had to dig it out as it was embedded. Would that have been a paralysis tick? I did say that I thought paralysis ticks were lighter in colour and she said it may have been so not real clear on that.....

Seita - Do NOT use tick collars with proban if they have the same ingredients they can be toxic. You would be much better using proban and frontline or proban and permoixn together.

Gretel - From the description your friend has given it sounds like the tick was a bush tick or a nymph paralyais tick(also called grass ticks) - they do not cause paralysis

If it were a adult paralysis tick it would have been a grey colour... they cause the paralysis

It is possible the tick came on the dog but in saying that ticks can be blown into your yard or be dropped in by native animals etc so no way of telling really.