Which Perth Dog Obedience Clubs ?

Hi,

I already take my gsd female to an obedience club but it's about 45mins away, we will still go to that one but I was thinking of joining another one in the new year that is closer and to work Abby in more new distractions with more dogs....but she needs to wear her prong collar... Am I likely to be turned away from many clubs if she has one on ?

I do most of her training with food, and I'm wanting to trial her in obedience in the near future if I ever get around to it :wave: the prong is on her to discourage her from playing with other dogs...........I do have a check chain but I would really much prefer to use her prong :laugh:

Anyone know of any clubs ??

thanks in advance, :love::love:

Katie.

Edited by kateshep

Rusky are there any that allow there use but don't necesarily advocate them?

No clubs use prong collars in WA. You won't be turned away, you will be asked to remove the collar. I don't know what else to tell you.

We were actually discussing this at a dinner tonight, although NSW laws may be different. Apparently in NSW it is illegal to use a prong collar except when training for schutzhund and only under a qualified instructor. One of the ladies was saying that she was told to use a prong on her dog by the schutzhund club she has joined but she refused. We hadn't even realised they were still allowed.

Can't you just train her not to play with the other dogs and to remain focussed on you? Seems like that would be much easier than trying to find a club that will allow the collar, especially if she responds to food rewards. Im sure there are plenty of people who could offer advice if you decide to go down that path. If I wasn't so tired at 2.30am I could write some now, but bed is calling to me... message me if you are interested in some different training ideas to try.

Hi Kateshep

I was told prong collars are illegal to use in WA???

The GSDWA has also banned the used of check/choke collars too due to recent studies of huge neck damage on dogs.

Can only use a normal collar or a halti style collar on the grounds now...

Have you tried a halti with her? I find they are the easiest to control a dog with... My big male was dog agressive and it worked a treat.

You could always go to training at the GSDWA or the CAWA if you are near Canning Vale :banghead:

I was told prong collars are illegal to use in WA???

In order for something to be illegal, there needs to be mention of it in legislation. If you do a search on the legislation in your state you will find no mention of prong collars....therefore they are not illegal. Many will claim that prongs are illegal to use, but unless you live in Victoria, they will not be able to show relevant legislation to support that claim.

The only restriction that Federal legislation places on the prong collar is that they cannot be imported without a permit.

Can't you just train her not to play with the other dogs and to remain focussed on you? Seems like that would be much easier than trying to find a club that will allow the collar, especially if she responds to food rewards. Im sure there are plenty of people who could offer advice if you decide to go down that path.

There are times when she is more interested in playing with other dogs than food that just shows what kind of positive value she has for playing. I just wanted to join another club where I have an opportunity to further proof her in different distractions and get her to work more consistantly around other dogs which is what I need to do if I want to advance her training. If you do any have ideas I may not be familiar with I'd appreciate and would be open to hearing them :banghead:

Can only use a normal collar or a halti style collar on the grounds now...

Have you tried a halti with her? I find they are the easiest to control a dog with... My big male was dog agressive and it worked a treat.

I had a halti on one of my other dogs, I didn't find they worked for me. A prong collar I found is a much more better suited for my dogs.

Edited by kateshep

Can't you just train her not to play with the other dogs and to remain focussed on you? Seems like that would be much easier than trying to find a club that will allow the collar, especially if she responds to food rewards. Im sure there are plenty of people who could offer advice if you decide to go down that path.

There are times when she is more interested in playing with other dogs than food that just shows what kind of positive value she has for playing. I just wanted to join another club where I have an opportunity to further proof her in different distractions and get her to work more consistantly around other dogs which is what I need to do if I want to advance her training. If you do any have ideas I may not be familiar with I'd appreciate and would be open to hearing them :banghead:

Sounds like my Charlie. I have to train him with a tennis ball as that is the only thing he puts high value on. Food works for some things but only if he knows he will get the ball thrown at the next available break (sometimes there is only time to throw it into his mouth once before we go back to heeling).

You need to really build up the value of focusing on you. Try to find some sort of reward that is higher in her mind than other dogs. Whether it is a toy that only comes out for training, something really delicious, a really happy squeaky voice from you, lots of pats, the list is endless you just need to experiment. You will get much more out of her by making you a positive rather than making the other dogs a negative. Associating pain with other dogs could end up leading to aggression towards those other dogs (for making her neck hurt).

Are the other dogs trying to play with her aswell or are they focussed on training? The lower classes are often full of dogs trying to play/kill each other and it can be really hard for some dogs to concentrate. If that is the case try speaking to one of the instructors about letting her train in a higher class with more settled dogs and see if it makes a difference. I did that with Delta and she quickly tired of the other dogs as they werent paying her any attention and focussed on me as that was where the attention and food was coming from. Now I can train her in the right class and she is very well behaved. If you explain how serious you are about trialling in the near future they may be able to help you out.

We were actually discussing this at a dinner tonight, although NSW laws may be different. Apparently in NSW it is illegal to use a prong collar except when training for schutzhund and only under a qualified instructor. One of the ladies was saying that she was told to use a prong on her dog by the schutzhund club she has joined but she refused. We hadn't even realised they were still allowed.

Which club?

And who would be considered a qualified instructor?

Edited by myszka

• 2 weeks later...