Ear Mites?

laffi

One of my dogs has been diagnosed with ear mites a while ago. She has been put on ear drops (don't remember the name) that sort of helped but not completely.

After reading some threads I also started cleaning her ears using Malaseb, and that also helped but never totally.

This morning I checked her ears and one of them had brown liquid in it. I know how ear mites problem look like (brown stuff), but it was never liquid. Is it still ear mites or is it something else now?

ETA She doesn't seem itchy and she doesn't scratch it. The ear doesn't smell at all and she lets me clean if without any problems.

Edited by laffi

Don't muck around with ears - that's my best advice - I have a foster dog with blown eardrums due to ear infection not being treated, it doesn't take much.

Off to the vets for you.

I am booked for this Saturday morning... just wanted to know if I could do anything in the meantime.

Earwax can sometimes be that reddish- brownish colour. No smell, no itchiness/ scratching etc. sounds good.

That's my guess for internet diagnosis :rofl:

LOL, thanks!

Advocate treats and prevents earmites, among other things http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx...0&ItemId=73

Doesn't cover ticks if you're in a tick area, though.

She is on Advocate but I worry that maybe the last dose I gave her was too small. I haven't weighted her in a while :crazy:

ETA for spelling :rofl:

Edited by laffi

She is on Advocate but I worry that maybe the last dose I have her was too small. I haven't weight her in a while :crazy:

Pop her on the scales at the local vet.

I popped in once to see how our pup was gaining weight and wasn't even seeing the vet. No problems.

Though I asked nicely and we take both dogs there.

If that's awkward, you can hold her, get on the scales at home, then deduct your own weight off the total.

Won't be as accurate, but good enough to assess which weight range she's in.

eta: What breed is she, again? and how old?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

She is on Advocate but I worry that maybe the last dose I have her was too small. I haven't weight her in a while :rofl:

Pop her on the scales at the local vet.

I popped in once to see how our pup was gaining weight and wasn't even seeing the vet. No problems.

Though I asked nicely and we take both dogs there.

If that's awkward, you can hold her, get on the scales at home, then deduct your own weight off the total.

Won't be as accurate, but good enough to assess which weight range she's in.

eta: What breed is she, again? and how old?

great idea, thank you :crazy:

I would take her to the vet, just in case.

However, if you clean out the ear with Epi Otic, or something similar and put 1 drop of Frontline in each ear (2 drops if she is a large breed) that will kill the mites stone dead.

Be aware Frontline is not approved for use in that way for ear mites, but it works a treat! Some vets will tell you to use it, and I always do.

Classic Show Supplies (in Aust) sell it http://www.classicshowsupplies.com.au/cata...a995c02c1687022

LOL, that's where I found it!!!

Were you able to get any from CSS? Even though they have Thornits down on their drop down selection list for manufacturers it come up "There are no products to list in this category." :)

Give them a call.

When I called them they said they do have it in stock.

One of my dogs has been diagnosed with ear mites a while ago. She has been put on ear drops (don't remember the name) that sort of helped but not completely.

After reading some threads I also started cleaning her ears using Malaseb, and that also helped but never totally.

This morning I checked her ears and one of them had brown liquid in it. I know how ear mites problem look like (brown stuff), but it was never liquid. Is it still ear mites or is it something else now?

ETA She doesn't seem itchy and she doesn't scratch it. The ear doesn't smell at all and she lets me clean if without any problems.

Get to the Vet, I purchased a pure bred dachshound from a reputable registered breeder and he was profoundly deaf several days after breeder had apparently had him vet checked!! , 3 weeks after getting him we took him for his 2nd immunisation and check with the vet and was advised that he had ear mites which he would have got soon after birth and that sets off a second yeast/thrush type infection which is the brown stuff that you can see, unfortunately in the 3 weeks we had him he gave the ear mites to that other dachy and the cat so everyone had to be treated. we are still trying to get the gunk out and he may need to have his ears cleaned under sedation, this has been a very expensive and annoying process and we are just hoping that he has no residual effects and that his hearing returns.

Thanks everybody. :rofl:

We did go to the vet on Saturday. It turns out she either has a fungal infection or something (like a grass seed) stuck in her ear. The vet couldn't see anything stuck but it could have been deep enough and hard to see (according to the vet). No sign of ear mites. Her ear drum seems to be fine. She is on some medications now and doing much better, which indicates it probably was a fungal infection that Malaseb couldn't treat.