Skin Problem

laffi

My aussie shepherd has these skin problems, where her skin gets really itchy and she bites it and bites off her fur. The skin doesn't look very irritated but there is brown crust around it on the edges and the edges look brown. It seems to be very itchy, located near her anus and at the back of her leg. The one on her leg healed but not the one near her anus.

I washed her with Malaseb a few times and it didn't seem to work.

The vet said that the brown stuff looks a little like flea dirt, but she is on Advantix and Sentinel Spectrum, so even the vet said it wasn't very likely....

Then the vet said it could be allergies, but still couldn't explain what the brown crust was..

Any ideas?

post-13994-1197679476_thumb.jpg

I would almost guarentee that it is fleas,Advantix does not have a growth inhibiter in it so it will kill adult fleas but they can still lay eggs.

My advice is use frontline in conjuction with permoxin spray and also treat your house as the eggs will be hatching,it could take up to 6 mths to get rid of all the fleas.A excellent product for the house and anywhere your dogs go is KO tabs you get 2 tabs that make up 5L of spray.DO not put it on your dog. you can get it HERE

Also if there are eggs in your dogs bedding it has to be washed in HOT water or better yet just hang in direct sunlight as it will kill them.

Permoxin is great for flea allergy.

Edited by sheree_e4

It may be allergy to fleas. Even one flea bite can start the reaction, and it's pain to treat. We had an Airedale terrier before with that problem and it was difficult to manage. However, it's possible. Your vet may also try to reduce your dog's sensitivity to fleas. Not sure how it works though.

I don't think it's flea dirt. I googled it and it just doesn't look the same.

Her "dirt" looks more like tiny scabs...located on the edges of her itchy spots. (I think she licks off the scabs on the spots that's why they only stay on the edge).

It definitely looks like something Bubby had last year.

He started with tiny red postules, which turned into little scabby dots afterwards. He was itchy and agitated.

We went to a chinese herbal store and got some chinese pills for him which worked wonders.

It definitely looks like something Bubby had last year.

He started with tiny red postules, which turned into little scabby dots afterwards. He was itchy and agitated.

We went to a chinese herbal store and got some chinese pills for him which worked wonders.

That's exactly right. It started with tiny red postules and turned into scabbt dots. It's so hard to describe.... :)

I will PM you about the herbal meds :rofl:

Doesn't look like flea dirt to me either.

I have an allergic puppy and he gets that too. Often starts with a pustule. Constant licking and chewing at an area will cause it too, from the saliva.

Regular baths with malaseb will help with any secondary bacterial infections.

Because she swims alot, I think it might be a good idea to make sure she is properly dried, everytime she gets wet. More time consuming and a bit of a hassle if it's so frequent, but the areas you mentioned sound like a nice warm moist environment for bacteria/fungus infections to fester. Not sure if it will work, just an idea though.

I'd also try and give her a quick wash down after swimming in dams etc, just in case there's something in the water that she reacts to slightly.

agree with sir WJ.We groom a number of dogs that swim in water that have skin issues,many dont but for some it does create issues especially if the water isnt pristine.

In one case a dog ended up with fox mange as the dog was swimming in the same water hole the foxes where hanging around