Help Advice Pls

chuckie500

I have two shih tzu crosses (8kg each). i gave them lamb shanks late last week. they chew off the meat and have a go at the ends. Molly, the girl, vomited most of it back up i think, but seemed OK. The weekend went fine. Then monday night i gave them a bone to knibble on the ends of. Tuesday AM she sort of was vomiting a clear liquid just the once. I didn't thnk much of it. She ate her breakfast yesterday OK and last night too. Then this morning again she vomited a little bit on her walk, yellowy a bit, but not much in it. Today at lunch time she ate some grass and vomitted up her breakfast from this morning. She is pooing normally yesterday and this morning too. I just fed her a small dinner just in case. Her mood is normal - still wants to play.

Does anyone have any ideas re: this?

If her gut was obstructed with a bone (that what worries me), wouldn't the symptoms be worst than this? Has any one experienced this?

Thanks

her moods are fairly normal. The one eposide of vomiting i would not worry about. But now it's twice in one day. i read a site that suggested to withhold food for 24-48 hours. her apeitite is normal. i think if there was an obstruction, her apepite would be decreased quite a bit.

her moods are fairly normal. The one eposide of vomiting i would not worry about. But now it's twice in one day. i read a site that suggested to withhold food for 24-48 hours. her apeitite is normal. i think if there was an obstruction, her apepite would be decreased quite a bit.

Does your dog vomit very often or is this unusual for her?

If I had waited and withheld food for 24-48 hours from Dana she'd have been dead. She's not a dog who vomits but she did vomit her breakfast that morning and I noticed she couldn't get comfortable when lying down. This was not usual behaviour for her. We went to the vet a couple of hours later.

She was in good spirits and happily playing with the nurses in the waiting room. She needed emergency surgery and had 15cm of dying bowel resected. She's a Cavalier so she's a small dog.

I wouldn't take the risk if I were you, I'd take her to the vet.

Vet checked her over this morning. temp normal, no tenderness either. She thinks its just gastritis. i have to withhold food today. she on the doggie version of glucazade. molly sleeps normally and lies down quite contented. she even did a poo this morning that was very normal. she must be having some food still going through otherwise i don't know how she made the poo. i'm supposed to give her small bits of plain chicken to see how she goes. if she can't keep it down, i'll be going back again tomorrow afternoon.

cavnrott : how did they diagnose dying bowel?

Vet checked her over this morning. temp normal, no tenderness either. She thinks its just gastritis. i have to withhold food today. she on the doggie version of glucazade. molly sleeps normally and lies down quite contented. she even did a poo this morning that was very normal. she must be having some food still going through otherwise i don't know how she made the poo. i'm supposed to give her small bits of plain chicken to see how she goes. if she can't keep it down, i'll be going back again tomorrow afternoon.

cavnrott : how did they diagnose dying bowel?

That's good news indeed. She'll probably be back to normal for you tomorrow.

They opened Dana up and saw that section of the bowel was discoloured and necrosis was setting in. She had an obstruction caused by three loquat stones. Both the vet and I thought we could feel something in there but the xray didn't actually give us much information.

Thanks four all your thoughts. I syringe about a ml of the doggie lucazade very now and then in her mouth & she ahsn't brought that up yet. tomorrow morning is the test with a little bit of chicken.

Yes i hope she is much better tomorrow, as I think I have lost more weight, than she has, with worry. :cheers:

Molly is better today, thanks for asking Cavnrott. I walked her, just a small walk this morning. i managed to have some leave today, thank goodness. She ate some chicken that i cooked in the mocrowave. At 6.30am i gave a few pieces, and then again at 8.30am, and then few more at about 12.30pm. She even went to drink some of the doogie lucazade by herself (she normally doesn't drink much). Tonite, I gave her some more chicken for dinner at around 6pm, about a quarter a cup, and so far so good.

Tomorrow I'll go to about 2/3rds of her normal amount of food but keep to the chicken. And on sunday i'll introduce some of her normal kibble again. Does that sound like a good plan?

Both are asleep on the floor next to me.

I hope my apeptite picks up soon.

Good news Chuckie. It seems she's almost back to normal.

Don't we lose our appetites when our dogs are sick? Sleeping doesn't come easy either.

My Rottweiler Sophie, is going in for yet another surgery on Monday and I am not in the least interested in food. I'll be opting out of Christmas dinner because Sophie will be in some pain and I want to be with her. I was going to have the family dinner here but have decided that I'll do the cooking and my son can collect the food from me and take it to his place and the rest of the family will gather there.

There are too many people and too much noise and Sophie can do without the stress.

Yes fried chicken sounds nice. Anythng fried usually gets me going. Poor sophie - what is she having done? Will she be in and out on the same day? Yes we worry and loose sleep - i guess because they can't tell us whats wrong. I spent the night sleeping (pretending to sleep) on the sofa with one of mine all night when he had kennel cough. We give them our promise we do all that we possibly can for them when we adopt them. I hope sophie recovers quickly. I like u would opt out of the dinner to be with her.

Poor sophie - what is she having done? Will she be in and out on the same day? Yes we worry and loose sleep - i guess because they can't tell us whats wrong. I spent the night sleeping (pretending to sleep) on the sofa with one of mine all night when he had kennel cough. We give them our promise we do all that we possibly can for them when we adopt them. I hope sophie recovers quickly. I like u would opt out of the dinner to be with her.

Yes Sophie will be home on Monday night but we're not at all sure all is well. There's a possibility of malignancy. She's having a biopsy and we await the findings from pathology.

She had a biopsy 9 weeks ago but pathology came back with an inconclusive finding. She did look to be improving but the situation has flared up again. I'm hijacking your thread here. :)

Please keep us posted on Molly's progress.