Confinement After Desexing

Hi guys,

I had my newfie desexed yesterday and was told to confine him and keep him dry for the next 5 days. I am staying at my father's property in Victoria, and some of you will know, it is forecast to rain for the next few days. He is not allowed inside, he does have shelter in his run, but loves the rain and plays out in it. He is also really active, he's running around a lot.

I'm at my wit's end a little...do I keep him confined? Or do I take him out for a short slow stroll to get some energy out? Should I dry him after each time it rains?

Would love some advice! Thanks in advance :bottom:

Most important is to keep the wound clean and dry. I'm not sure it matters about the rest of him, so much :bottom:

Were there any complications? That would affect whether or not to strictly confine him, too.

Big no-nos are things like jumping up which can rip stitches.

A controlled, on-leash walk sounds reasonable.

It's only 5 days. He'll be OK even if you do confine him.

Thanks guys.

There were no complications. I took him for a 5 minute walk around the block then and he enjoyed it...just mainly let him sniff around and we did some training to work his mind a bit. Checked his stitches and they're fine.

I was thinking I might take him for a drive? He likes to look out the window...

Hi newnewf,

My foster boy was desexed last Firday adn apart from keeping the wound clean and dry I haven't confined him or doen anythign special and he's been fine. I sometimes think we overdo it a bit 'cos the vets err on the side of caution - I find most puppy dogs who are in good health are pretty robust and bounce back well after surgery - particularly with a bit of extra TLC!!

Cheers,

Westiemum :cheers:

NOte that the risk declines steeply . . . days one and two are much more of a hazard than three and four . . . five is lighter still. If you've survived a few days . . . it's not that long. Also, if you can tire him with mental activities . . . eg, a few training sessions a day teaching non-strenuous things (find hidden objects, scent detection, shake) may tire him as much as a 20 km run.

Thanks guys!

He is a pretty robust pup!

I have put him in a very nice boarding kennel for a couple of days as I cannot keep him dry (he loves rain, and as anyone in VIC knows, we're having tropical storms at the moment!). The people at the kennel know about his condition and are keeping him dry. If the forecast had of been for clear days, I would have kept him here, but I don't want to risk infection. Thanks for your help everyone!