Difference Between Canon 20d, 30d, 40d

Winterpaws

I am looking online at prices for cameras as I really want to sell my Nikon and get a Canon.

Looking at pricegrabber I can see a huge difference in the price between a 20D, 30D and 40D. Is there much of a difference as I can pick up a 20D body for around $699

Also can I ask what lenses to get? Should I just get the kit lens or something else. Maybe a 17 - ?? and a longer lens up to say 200, 300 as well

My head hurts looking at all these different prices and models :)

They are just different cameras in the same series....the 20D was replaced by the 30D which has recently been replaced by the 40D. There isn't much difference between the 20D and 30D.....bigger LCD on the 30D and some minor picture style improvments and one or two other small things....pretty much a 20D Mark 2, but the 40D goes a step further with a self cleaning sensor (yay!) and 10mp as opposed to 8, as well as some other large and small improvements. I upgraded from the 20D to the 40D recently and my husband inherited the 20D to replace his 10D (which now belongs to my 13yo daughter).

All are superb cameras, all will give you amazing results once you elarn how to use them.

As for lenses....how big is your budget and what do you want to photograph? The best value lens is the Canon 50mm f1.8 which gives superb results from a cheaply built lens.....it's "big" brother, the 50mm f1.4 is my favourite lens of all time and the one I use the most. it's around $450, the f1.8 is around $150.

OK, in a nutshell, you're paying for the newer technology. The 40D is sweet - that screen alone makes the jump worthwhile and the high ISO is great. That said, virtually all of the people I know who have added a 40D are not getting rid of their 20Ds as backups and second cameras (most of my camera friends shoot weddings, portraits, etc professionally, so this sample is likely skewed) - they are even hunting down second-hand 20Ds and gobbling them up.

The 20D is a workhorse with very good high ISO capabilities. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon, I can tell you. On yesterday's shoot, I used both my 40D and the 20D.

Don't overlook the 400D (XTi, I think) - it's a fabulous unit, lighter and smaller. Very very capable.

What kind of things do you like to shoot? That will determine the focal length range you should start looking at. Sigma makes a great piece of glass that is a fabulous all-rounder...the 18-200. I have the old non-OS version and it's light, tiny and wonderful. I just lent it to a friend to use and she immediately went and bought one; she bought the newer version that has OS. It is also fabulous but it is heavier and bigger.

A lens that stayed on my camera was the Sigma 17-70. This thing is awesome and will stay with me for day to day stuff. I've added Canon's 17-55 IS 2,8 version for indoor work, but the Sigma won't ever be far away.

Like macro stuff? Canon's 60mm macro can't be beat. The 100mm is a gem, too, but more specialized and less versatile.

That might help you get started...once I see more of what you like to do, I might be able to add more stuff!

Well I used to dabble with landscapes when I had my old film camera but hese days lots of dogs pictures - so action shots as they are always racing around at the beach and stuff

I do like macro as well. I guess I want a camera to get me back into a bit.

I have a Nikon D70 and just don't like it compared to my old Canon film camera. I wish I had stuck with the Canon when i swaped to digital.

I'm trying to find something that will keep me going for a while but also mindful of price as I am swapping cameras again. I will sell the D70 and it's two lenses though (not sure what i would get?)

Can't help with resale value.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of Canon's offerings - those 400Ds are really nice. I'd be tempted to head that way instead of the 20D simply for the beautiful screen - it really does make life easier. All models suggested will allow you to grow and grow and grow photographically, so that's not a big issue. They are all extremely capable of coping with pretty much anything you can throw at them!

Lenses are always a thing. There's always one more to buy and there are so many opinions on what's "best" for a particular thing!

I adore the Canon 10-22 (Sigma makes a 10-20 that is also very very good). Great for landscapes and other wide shots.

What do you have now? What do you like/dislike about them?

For dog action shots, my favourite lens is the Canon 200mm F2.8L....not a zoom but to have a tele zoom with an f2.8 aperture, you're looking at more money than I ever want to drop on a lens.

My husband uses the Canon 70-200 f4L lens, another excellent one at a reasonable price.

That is an excellent site Tadpole - the forums ten to get a bit picky but for the actual information on cameras its the best one.

As has been said the 40D is simply the upgrade. I've now moved the 10D to the backup and small lens camera (when the 40D is being used at the same time). The only thing I dont like about the 40D is I find the screen ISNT as crystal clear as the 10D one is. Bigger and easier to see yes but harder to tell if the focus is spot on (as I do action images of animals going at 60km you always get one or two in the burst that are a little soft). Seems a bigger version of hte 350D screen rather than a bigger version of the 10D screen.

Other than that I am glad I waited for it but if you are not doing professional photography any of the Canons (400D, 20D onwards) will be more than you need. I'm even told the 40D can do stuff that I haven't even noticed yet (need to read the book a bit more throughly).

They all do the job very well, bottom line. I prefer the larger screen on the 30D but if money wasn't a problem I'd just go 40D solely because it's newer.

Btw, does the 400D have spot metering now? As the 350D did not :champagne:

swap ya...!!!!!!!!!

My Canon 350D for the Nikon D70....

Friends got the Nikon and I much prefer it to the Canon. I find I am forever chasing light in the Canon. I went Canon because I had an old 35mm Canon film lens and my 200mm lens would fit.. I ended up buying a f1.8 50mm lens to get better speed. The lens kit that comes with it is ok.

One day I will get around to selling my Canon and going for the Nikon.