Jezy Destroying Every Toy!

Klattsy

Hi All and Happy New Year...

We just bought Jezy (6mnth bitsa) some new toys for Christmas and by Boxing Day she had chewed through all the plastic bits and they were appearing out the other end.

Some were cheap plastic ones from Big W (Cheeky Charlie ect), but we bought 'quality' items such as a Kong Wubba (she has already pierced that fabric within about 10 mins), she also ripped off all the fur from the tennis ball attached to rope type toys.

Digesting all this plastic and fur can't be good, but we are stuck with what else to give them. Jezy seems to loose interets in any item she can't destroy. We have rope toys but these are only good for a 10min tug of war session. Then she will attack the frayed ends of the rope and swallow them.

Can anyone recommend some specific names and brands of "tough" entertaining toys? They already have treat balls and rope toys.

Also, we are finding vomit in the laundry where Jezy & Charlie (pure cocker) sleep. This has only started recently and we thought it was to do with chewing grass or on these plastic toys. But it stopped for a couple of nights and last night it started again and the only thing she chewed on was the rope toys (we weeded and removed plastic toys). Could these be causing her to vomit or would it be something more sinister?

regards,

Mark & Suzie.

how big is she?

Give her bones (lamb necks, flaps etc) and remove all things for her to chew or contain her until she gets the idea that only certain things are to be chewed.

Try AUSSIE DOG TOYS they are fairly indestructible. The Wubbas are fairly small I would get her something hardier like a normal Kong and stuff her breakfast in it, have a look at www.kongcompany.com for ideas

Ongoing vomiting can be a sign of an intestinal obstruction.

I don't buy those plastic toys as they don't last long here, either. HAve you tried a KONG or similar? Mine like the multicolour rope toy that is all cotton with knots on either end. Cheap (Big W or Woolies) and no problems.

Raw bones with some meat on are also excellent chew toys, but be wary about too many marrow bones as the marrow is high fat.

Nylabone type chew "bones" are also favourites here.

Dogs shouldnt vomit a lot at all. It indicates an upset or an obstruction and its unhealthy for the dog.

DO NOT give the dog anything it shoudnt ingest and cardboard can cause a problem. There are chemicals used in finishing and processing that are not made to be ingested in a lot of products.

2Lt coke bottles with the lid and seal removed are good, you can even shove some large kibble in there so the dog has to try and rattle it out - just keep an eye on it

nero is the same, destroys every toy.

he gets the rolls out of garbage bags but since i just read in the previous thread he may not get them anymore.

he now has a cricket ball and that seems to holding up pretty good. As suggested coke or milk bottles with lid and ring removed.

i remember reading on here before about car tyres, we haven't tried that yet.

we also got him a big plastic ball from the royal show, about the size of a basketball. he can't grab it to sink his teeth into it so that has lasted a while

Hi...

at 6 mths, she can really enjoy large beef bones, frozen chicken wings and chicken frames ;)

Toys? Aussie dog stuff will not be wrecked in a hurry! Please don't buy cute plastic or fabric toys... they can be dangerous when swallowed :D

How big is she?

I would suggest one of the Kong chewy things(NOT the puppy ones!!! )....stuffed with a 'ziggie' or other tasty stuff, like cream cheese and peanut butter :D

Try her out on those dentabones from the supermarket ..ours like them. get the larger ones.

Do you walk the dogs or do any activity out of the yard??

Whilst some dogs are very destructive some will become destructive when bored.

Personally iw ould buy a couple of good quality toys & rotate them,dont leave her with all of them.Give her a different one each day until back to the beginning

Another one here for Aussie dog toys :D They are a bit pricey but worth every cent as they last so long.

My greyhound girl loves to play with empty coke bottles etc too.

Kongs are great and you can get the really hard ones for dogs that are more destructive than others (I think they are the black ones) I found that if you shove a chicken wing in the kong it kept mine occupied for ages ;)

I have toys that are suitable to leave with the dogs, that they won't destroy, and other special toys that they could destroy, but which they only get to play with when I am playing with them. So they look forward to playing with me, and they don't destroy those toys.