Having Trouble Finding A Groomer

Hi All,

I'm looking for a groomer in the Maroondah/Whitehorse/Yarra Ranges area who is good with poodles, the groomer I was looking to use is retiring, and my pup's breeder does not know my area at all, and knows of no-one there.

I am looking to learn how to groom Chaconne myself eventually, but I want her to be introduced to gromming in the most stress free environment possible, and I would like to learn from a person, rather than just the book.

If anyone has reccomendations that would be fantastic

:rolleyes:

Its an insurance issue.

I think it's a business issue too. I would imagine groomers prefer repeat business, so it's unlikely you'd find one who would teach you to groom your own dog, cos then you wouldn't go back.

Phone around & see if you can find a mobile groomer that can clip,some can't. That way you can stay with her & watch. Going to a salon is not stress free. Puppies often kick up holy hell & shriek & wriggle. If you learn to clip yourself you have to be firm & confident & be able to control her. Start now,if you haven't already. Stand her every day for a brush & comb. Doesn't matter if she needs it,its training. Talk to her so she learns what you want her to do. This leg,head up etc. Get your clippers now & run them near her so she is not scared of them,even if you don't clip yet.

Some salons use very harsh discipline,are rushed & time is money. Someone who grooms on a hobby basis & will let you stay & watch is often a better option.

It is likely that she will carry on initially,most do,but you may be lucky so expect firm & persistant handling from the person grooming,thats fine,they have to have control & they soon learn & stop after a couple of clips but if you object to any part as excessive stop them & find someone else.

Learning from a book is fine,hair grows back if you stuff up, but you need her to stay still.

Oooh - I would be very wary about the mobiles - we have seen some hideous results of people using them - many are not trained and know nothing about dog grooming. I guess Reservoir would be too far for you to travel but, if not, please feel free to PM me - my partner does a beautiful job of grooming & clipping my poodles. She actually used to work at the vet in Box Hill, till we set up our shop about 3 1/2 years ago.

Here's an example of her work!

LOOKATME.jpg

my boy, Harrison

I think it's a business issue too. I would imagine groomers prefer repeat business, so it's unlikely you'd find one who would teach you to groom your own dog, cos then you wouldn't go back.

Actually many groomers will teach but there is a difference between a client dropping off for a groom & explaining how to use equipment safely,how to train the pup,what to use & why etc etc.

We do train but it does cost more as you have to explain what you are doing in detail & it takes alot longer ,it isnt learnt in 2 hrs.

When we do this we dont book other dogs in for a set time frame .

Many off the people we have taught groom the dogs themselves then bring it to us twice a year to get a good groom so they have a line to follow.

The key for doing it yourself is to do it more often(4 weeks).It is easier to groom when the coat is easy than when its out of hand,knotty,this is often when self groomers go wrong..

For us the only time people watch is if there paying to learn otherwise we wont have people around when grooming.

If people expect quality handling & safety of there dogs they also need to understand that people watching moving about on an inexperinced young dog or nervy/over the top dog can llead to accidients .

http://www.dogs.net.au/carlandy/album1.asp

Edit: just realised you are looking for someone to teach you. That would be a very individual thing and would depend on the groomer. Generally it is not in their best interests to teach you, as they would then be losing your business once you are comfortable to do your own dog.

You can only chat to groomers and get their thoughts on the matter.

Or, you can do a grooming course. I am sure Box Hill TAFE offers them.

Edited by Toohey

If you were willing to travel to Dandenong, i know a groomer there who is just wonderful and i'm sure she would be happy to teach you some things at some point. She works from home and only does a few regular dogs, pm me if you would like the number

True, if a groomer teaches you, then you won't go back to them.

Lots of people ask me to recommend a groomer, though, because they assume I'll know having poodles!

Many groomers really don't need any more clients, so it will be a personal thing.

Don't expect groomers to be too "lovey- dovey". They need to be firm (but fair) and puppies can be terrors.

No-one thanks them if they're too gentle and pup bites a sharp blade.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find someone to help.

Just do your research and ask to see some pics of dogs they have groomed etc, regardless of salon or mobile.

Check around your area for any dogs you see groomed and ask them where their dogs are done etc. Call around and make some enquiries and I'm sure you will come up with a great groomer.

I will let people watch as long as the dog does not misbehave, but dont teach as such. I would avoid the TAFE courses like the plague, total waste of money and there is no one on one time spent. Spend the money wisely and find a salon that also teaches grooming on a one on one basis.

And for those out there, I am mobile and dont really appreciate the generalisation that we are all crap, do hack jobs, rush and generally have no idea what we are doing !!!!

Yes, some mobile groomers are terrible, and will do horrible jobs or completely shave the dog as they have no idea about scissoring or shaping, but any average jo can open up a grooming salon from home or in a shopping strip also and call themselves a dog groomer.

I have been in both environments and can say many a bad thing about salon environment groomers too.

Those who have had their dogs stuffed, obviously did not do their research regardless of whether mobile or salon, and there have been many jobs I have had to fix up too, even from salons.

Just do your research and ask to see some pics of dogs they have groomed etc, regardless of salon or mobile.

Check around your area for any dogs you see groomed and ask them where their dogs are done etc. Call around and make some enquiries and I'm sure you will come up with a great groomer.

I will let people watch as long as the dog does not misbehave, but dont teach as such. I would avoid the TAFE courses like the plague, total waste of money and there is no one on one time spent. Spend the money wisely and find a salon that also teaches grooming on a one on one basis.

And for those out there, I am mobile and dont really appreciate the generalisation that we are all crap, do hack jobs, rush and generally have no idea what we are doing !!!!

Yes, some mobile groomers are terrible, and will do horrible jobs or completely shave the dog as they have no idea about scissoring or shaping, but any average jo can open up a grooming salon from home or in a shopping strip also and call themselves a dog groomer.

I have been in both environments and can say many a bad thing about salon environment groomers too.

Those who have had their dogs stuffed, obviously did not do their research regardless of whether mobile or salon, and there have been many jobs I have had to fix up too, even from salons.

It is interesting that you don't really appreciate the generalisation that mobile groomers are crap, but you then generalise that Tafe courses are a total waste of money etc.

Swiburne Tafe offered an excellent course conducted by two groomers at their salon, and it was attended mainly by professional groomers who were advancing their skills. I get annoyed when people put down the entire industry or Tafe when they are not fully informed.

It is interesting that you don't really appreciate the generalisation that mobile groomers are crap, but you then generalise that Tafe courses are a total waste of money etc.

Swiburne Tafe offered an excellent course conducted by two groomers at their salon, and it was attended mainly by professional groomers who were advancing their skills. I get annoyed when people put down the entire industry or Tafe when they are not fully informed.

I have done TAFE courses and find they did not have anything on one on one salon training that you can get so much more out of when you are first starting. There is a difference between learning to groom and being taught basics, and then taking a course to further your skills. IMO when learning to groom a class environment is not the method of training I would recommend at all. Remember many of the mobile groomers that are so crap have undergone many different TAFE courses in grooming. When you are already a skilled groomer and are just looking at picking up extra bits here and there then they are fine. Just IMO though.

Some salons use very harsh discipline,"are rushed & time is money" \This doesnt apply to mobile groomers :whip:

Maybe try the Poodle club of Victoria for suggestions

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this. Of course it applies to some mobiles too. My point was that you are there & I did say that if the dog is diciplined or handled innapropriately to stop the session.

There are good & bad groomers in salons or mobile. Groomers are not given years of formal training,its a learn as you go process or a short course. The rest is up to the natural talent & expertise of the individual. Some may groom for 10 years & only be mediocre,passable, where others can have a years experience & be excellent.

I have seen dogs with dreadful haircuts & their owners were delighted,others want perfection.

Starting out one can only learn to handle the dog,no use going any further if you cant do that,then the grooming. How expert one becomes is up to the individuals capabilities not where it is done.