A Few General Health Questions About Bubby (goldie).

Bubitty

Hi Folks,

Was wondering how often your dogs pee in a day. Am wondering if I should be concerned or not as Bubby seems to only pee in 2 lots a day or 3 at the very most.

He pees all over the park on his morning walk.

All the days when I am home he does not pee at all for the entire day. Even when we are sitting outside for hours I don’t see him pee.

He pees again during his afternoon walk and then once before bed.

He is drinking and eating well, solid poos (only twice a day though). Lots of energy, nothing I can see which may be a problem but am sort of worried as I expect dogs to pee more.

Should I get him checked out just in case or am I being paranoid?

Another thing is that he tends to be a bit on the thin side. Last weigh in at the vet was 27 kgs but he looks even leaner these days. I think he has a decent diet and gets plenty to eat but is lean. He has lots of muscle (confirmed by vet and breeder, plus you can see his muscles) but generally looks a lot thinner these days than most other goldies I see.

He eats:

Morning

1 large kongful of RC in the morning, 1 chicken carcass (or 7 necks), 1 novelty treat (one of these things: homemade biscuit, pigs ear – maximum only twice a week, few pieces of cheese, grilled chicken breast etc)

Dinner

2 carcasses or a mush meal (approx 500g – mince, sardines, eggs, pureed veggies) or a lamb neck

sometimes he will get another meaty bone at night

About 4 times a week he will get an after dinner treat as well. Usually a lean piece of cooked meat or fish we save him from dinner (always lean and nothing fried).

Should he be eating more?

Also should add that I trim off all the fat off his bones. For eg, the lambs neck is covered with fat but I cut it all off.

Hi Folks,

Another thing is that he tends to be a bit on the thin side. Last weigh in at the vet was 27 kgs but he looks even leaner these days. I think he has a decent diet and gets plenty to eat but is lean. He has lots of muscle (confirmed by vet and breeder, plus you can see his muscles) but generally looks a lot thinner these days than most other goldies I see.

Also should add that I trim off all the fat off his bones. For eg, the lambs neck is covered with fat but I cut it all off.

:rofl::rofl: :D Well done. Not many people can say their labs are lean and fit :) . Yours looks leaner cause most of them are too big. It is possible to have them too lean but you can easily check by looking at their rib cage - you should be able to see an outline of their ribs without them poking out completely. The other way to check is to make sure there is a distinct waist line between the ribs and the hips.

I keep my GSPs lean as well and get congratulations from the vets. The last guy said it was so unussual to see a GSP at the correct weight and fitness level.

With Bruno, who is still growing to adult size, I check his ribs once a week and increase or decrease his food slightly if needed. Some weeks he burns a lot more calories than others and needs extra food. I don't give fatty bones either.

Go out and show the other goldie owners how it's done :)

Most adult dogs are able to 'hold it' for quite a long time and may only go morning and evening when they are most active and most likely to eat/drink. Going too often can sometimes be just as much a problem as not going enough. If he seems to have a problem going or you are concerned, I would get it checked but the way you describe it IMO sounds fairly normal for an adult dog.

IT is great that you are keeping your dog lean. Keep up the good work.

I would also consider that fact the he may feel toileting in his yard isnt acceptable & he waits for his walks to toilet which is fine aslong as he always gets out.

Personally i think your feeeding too much chicken .& most likely not enough .

If his biscuits are going in the kong that isnt very much..

Bub, dog ownership is supposed to be enjoyable. You seem to channel a hell of a lot of energy into worrying unnecessarily. So yes, I do think you are paranoid.

Bub would look leaner than most GRs because your average pet GR looks a lot like a big sausage on legs.. no waist and a a lot of fat. If you want to know what a GR should look like, search for pics of working GRs.

Bub should have an obvious waist and belly tuck and you should be able to feel his ribs with the flat of your hand without placing much pressure on his side.

Lean dogs live longer and have fewer joint issues.

His toileting sounds perfectly normal to me. All that peeing in the park is marking behaviour rather than needing to go.

Personally, I'd not be trimming the fat off his meat. Dog's need a certain amount of fat in their diet. Fat is the primary source of energy and also contains nutrients essential for a healthy skin and coat. Does he get fish or an EFA supplement?

Edited by poodlefan

He gets 2 fish oil tablets a day and 1 zinc tablet as well.

Definitely has a waist and ribs can be felt.

Am confused about the fat! I read so much stuff about fat causing pancreatis and being the root of all evil and then some ppl say fat is good!!!!!

PF: I do enjoy him!!! He’s just so darn perfect I need to make him stay around for as long as I can!!!!!

Was going to post about my concern as to why he doesn’t rip his toys (not even the ones with eyes) but I suppose you don’t want to read that! :laugh:

Was going to post about my concern as to why he doesn’t rip his toys (not even the ones with eyes) but I suppose you don’t want to read that! :laugh:

He's a gun dog Bub. His forebears were selectively bred is to fetch and carry prey, not bite and tear it. That's why he's got those big loose flews. His working cousins retrieve game without putting a tooth in it (or are supposed to) His behaviour is normal and desireable for a dog of his breed. I can't name a gundog that's a ripper although I know a few chewers. None of my dogs are rippers but if there's a hole, they will happily destuff toys.

If you want a ripper, head for the Terrier Group! :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Everyone else’s dog seems to have so much fun chewing and tearing! He seems to spend his days sitting around looking pleasant! I thought his life would be more fun if he chewed on a few toys instead of squeaking them and then stacking them in a pile!

I wonder sometimes if he was ever a crazy little puppy who dug, chewed and nipped. Or did he always sit around looking like Ghandi even at 8 weeks!

Everyone else’s dog seems to have so much fun chewing and tearing! He seems to spend his days sitting around looking pleasant! I thought his life would be more fun if he chewed on a few toys instead of squeaking them and then stacking them in a pile!

I wonder sometimes if he was ever a crazy little puppy who dug, chewed and nipped. Or did he always sit around looking like Ghandi even at 8 weeks!

If you did a poll Bub, you'd probably be surprised at how many dogs don't chew or tear. My dogs like to fetch and "kill' (shake) toys but they don't even squeak them.

You have a quiet dog. My guess is that he was a quiet pup. It's also my observation that the dogs that are most "into" toys have had a lot of play activity with them early on but play can most certainly be learned. My 10 year old toy poodle is just getting the hang of tugging games.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest Tess32

Bub, your dog is probably like my Ebony. She's very quiet and extremely well behaved without any training. She doesn't destroy toys either. There are all kinds of different dogs in the world, Bub sounds lovely but trust me, he's not THAT rare :laugh: It's great having these laid back, non silly dogs sometimes :rolleyes:

If you have given him a choice between chewing and ripping his toys and not chewing and ripping them, and he choses that latter, then he has chosen that and what he choses is him being happy! If these "issues" with Bub are the biggest concern in your life be grateful, and maybe try to get a bit of perspective. You have a well behaved dog, you have been told this umpteen times, why keep trying to make it out to be a problem. You love the dog, yes, we get it, maybe time to smell the roses instead of analysing every little movement or non movement he does.

Have you seen Best in Show, might help you see what people mean.

Thanks for answering my questions guys!

Especially PF for the explanation about Gun Dogs! You know so much about them! I bet deep down you are secretly dying to add a goldie to your brood? :rofl:

I was concerned about his peeing and weight but I guess the other stuff is more curiosity. He is my first dog and there are so many things I want to know! I wish I could sit there all day and have someone answer all the questions I have about what he does/doesn't do! I find him fascinating!

Tess32: My breeders tell me he is not rare either! Apparently his sister (same litter) goes to work with a solicitor and sits on a mat all day at his feet, looking pleasant as well!

My two GSD's don't rip or tear their toys either :rofl:

Also my older GSD can go all day without peeing...so can the pup if he decides to. I've toilet trained them both and they will also toilet on command so if we are to be inside all day or some such then i can be sure they will be comfortable by taking them out when i decide...but even so it may only be once during the day and they will still be fine.

The peeing on the tree's probably empties his bladder for the day for starters :rofl:

I wouldn't be cutting off all the fat either...if it's particularly fatty perhaps cut some of it off...but it is needed for their well being. It's only really a problem if they are getting too much fat or can't process it properly.