Anal Glands

I reckon if you got discharge out and have all your limbs intact you were probably on track.

I always offer to teach owner how to express anal sacs, yet they keep coming back :D

Golden rule: Always keep your mouth shut. :whip:

Edited by Rappie

we do it at bath time too & the smell is easily elimated this way especailly of the dog.

Some dogs express them themselves with there tongue( No who likes kisses from there dogs) or when toileting but we always check ours & the dogs we groom as its very easy & the less there the better

:o ;)

It's gross, especially the first couple of times, but keep doing it, as settrlvr said in the bath, and you'll get used to it.

Give me dog anal glands, poo and vomit any day over the human equivelant. (No I dont have kids yet :o)

Does this normally have to be done on a regular basis?!?! :o

I've only done it with guinea pigs, and only because they had impaction. Never done it on a dog and not particularly looking forward to it. Memories of doing the guinea pigs are flooding back and causing grief!!!! ;)

I had a rottie before and didn't know about anal glands. (thank God)

Now I have small dogs and even when I worm them they would sometimes scratch their bum on the ground ( bum-scoot!).

So now my vet does them each year at their vac time. I asked her to show me and she said it was better if she did it? But it sounds like everyone else does their own and would once a year be enough?

I find the more often it's done, the less offensive it is. I do my dogs anal glands every time I bath them.

I reckon it would be a bit like changing nappies though - not to keen to try it on a dog I don't know! :coffee:

OH rather empty the glands than change nappies :coffee:

Joey and Renae have theirs done every few months, either at the vets, or when there's a Cav club fun day on (a groomer does it cheaply for us all)

They both are good with having it done, considering eeeek !

I don't want to do it in case i do something wrong at the time :coffee:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

How do you empty the anal glands and how can you tell when it needs emptying?

Hi :coffee:

I can tell when my 2 need doing because they start licking their paws a fair bit, and also scooting along on their bums (even when they have been wormed)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Try dealing with dane sized anal glands that need expressing!!!

I thought he did his own :D

Budyjelle - Angus is 14 months old and has never had any problems or required them expressed. My understanding is that somedogs need it, others don't, some express as a routine rather than as necessary.

I'd say - if you have not noticed a problem - Stormie tells me that as strong fishy smell is an inidcation then I would not be worried!