Goodbye Gizzy

snarferama

It is a very sad day here.

Our last rattie boy passed away today. I woke up to Keith telling me that Gizmo had passed during the night/early morning.

We knew he didn't have long, we were going to have him pts very shortly if he didn't pass naturally within the next few days. He was in a bad way, had lost a lot of weight and had very little quality of life.

I've been teary all day and am feeling very frustrated because Keith's acting like nothing's happened and is narky because I'm not a-ok. :mad

My heart feels very heavy. All my boys are gone, it seems like only yesterday I first bought them home.

I will be cleaning out their cage and putting it in the shed. I can't bear to take on more ratties any time soon.

They're such special little creatures, they capture your heart and then in heartbeat they're gone.

I'll miss you Gizzy Guts. You were the greediest, bossiest boy of all the ratties which was quite an achievement! I hope you're finally pain-free and stealing your brother's food again.

Giz as a little baby doing what he did best:

2165900352_e84167eddc.jpg?v=0

All the lads (from left to right) Gizmo, Ramekin, Otto and Bonzai:

2165900448_b362236348.jpg?v=0

A very sorely missed sight, the rattie group nap time.

2165900528_3d9f0e5a9e.jpg?v=0

:mad so sad for you, and you have every right to be very sad - these little guys get into your heart. Size of our loved ones doesn't dictate how we feel loss or saddness.

As much as we love ratties, we have decided not to get any for just those reasons, so loveable and too short a time with us.

hugs from our clan

fifi

Thanks so much everyone. :rolleyes:

Fifi you're spot on. :D It's been a very hard 8 months as I've lost all my boys. Losing them so close together is just heart-breaking. The night before Gizzy passed I'd gone out and bought him lots of his favourite foods, I hope he had a good last meal. But now every time I open the cupboards and fridge I see his food and I feel like crying. :D

Snarf.

Sad to hear youve lost your boys.

I dont know how I will handle Wedge going.

They have such a huge place in your heart.

Its not easy to accept they are gone.

May Gizzy play with his brothers in Rattie Land over the Bridge.

Wags will be there to meet him as well.

He wont be lonely for a second.

Thank you so much everyone. :p It's surprising how attached you do get to the little stinkers. My very special boy, Otto, who passed away last year is what I'd call my 'heart rat'. :):) I've never felt as loved by any pet as I did by him. I miss my boys every day without fail.

I haven't put their cage in the shed yet, it feels sort of disrespectful, like I'm completely pushing them out of my life if you know what I mean? :)