Perfect Recall Training Using Ecollar

Ohhh, darn, I knew I missed something in my lesson :happydance2:

I'm more relaxed and I haven't even used mine yet. I was never a big believer in them till now. I wasn't anti e-collar and was willing to try but for some reason just the theory has completely won me over.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As midol said, the collar uses electrical stimulation. I wouldn't use it on a puppy until you've tried all other training. Some dogs are very easy to train and control off lead than others. Your puppy may be perfect without any extras. :thumbsup:

As midol said, the collar uses electrical stimulation. I wouldn't use it on a puppy until you've tried all other training. Some dogs are very easy to train and control off lead than others. Your puppy may be perfect without any extras. :thumbsup:

thanks for that BellasPerson. I can only hope my puppy will be perfect without the ecollar, but "puppy" and "perfect" don't usually belong in the same sentence GRIN. I am currently using positive reinforcement (praise and food) which seem to be working to get the basics. I'm sure recalls with distractions around us will be fun though hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the ecollar on my GSD for a while now, though only serious training for the past few weeks due to work commitments. The reason i got mine was cos my dog developed a serious love of chasing anything that moved, and particularly loved the geese next door :thumbsup: So far the results have been fantastic. I can have her outside on my property when Im doing things. She doesnt even look to run off now looking for kangaroos or anything. the other day I took her camping and was astounded. She did not try to run off once. She was an angel, or like the other 'normal' dogs there. This ecollar has changed our lives -I Love my ecollar :(

We are still working at the lowest distraction stages though. Apparently all moving distractions have the same value for her - VERY HIGH - and she finds it hard to focus, so Im trying to slowly add distractions in that she handle. Not an easy task. :cheer:

Today we had a disaster day though. I have been sick the last 2 days and she didnt get a walk today. So a little while ago I thought i was feeling well enough to take her out. We had been out 5 mins when she got the look in her eye that something had caught her attention, I tried to call her to me with a stim- nothing. Before i knew it she was off behind a bush. By the time I got there she was gone, no noise nothing. Knowing her love of my neighbours dam I headed that way. Nothing, then a black head appeared behind my neighbours house. I called her again with a stim, again she ignored it, so I slowly turned it up a bit, eventualy she listened and came back. This was a bit dissapointing cos we had been making such progress. This is what she used to do before we started ecollar training but has not happened since. Does anyone think that a dog can become used to the stim of the ecollar so much that it no longer works on them? Or is that a dumb questiona and Im just reading to much into it?

My dogs did occassionally forget the stim in the first 8 weeks. Turning it up works well and they do it less and less. They remember that you have more power and stop running off. This is not a setback, just a little test from the dogs to see if you really can get them back.

I now use my voice, if I don't get immediated response, I use a short stim, then a long stim and then I turn it up. The dogs are gradually getting more and more perfect :thumbsup: