A Tin Of Dog Food.

Okay, so i feed Snot Eagle Pack Holistic, makes up 90% of his diet.

But i like to mix it up a bit and feed him pet mince and chicken necks a few times a week for variety, sometimes a bit of wet dog food with his dry.

So I bought him a tin of dog food today from the supermarket. Usually i will grab him a tin of Natures Gift as I have read on this forum that it's one of the better ones to buy from there, personally I find it pretty gross, it smells funny and the texture doesn't look right, dog gets smelly farts etc.

So this time round i bought a tin of "My Dog" Chicken, Veal pasta and vegetables.

When I emptied some on the contents into Snot's bowl tonight It looked and smelt, well.... delicious :laugh:

So I started reading the ingredients:

meat including, chicken, beef, lamb, pork and veal, vegetables, pasta, gluten, gelling agents, vegetable oil, cereal, beef by product, vegetable fibre, vitamins and minerals, colours, flavors, salt. no preservatives added

That's exactly how it reads on the label.. So is this a quality tined food?

Or is it just the same as all supermarket dog food and still crap?

I was just curious as this dog food looks exactly like human quality food..

Thoughts?

Would you eat a gelling agent?

Lack of gelling agent, colours, and flavours is why you find the nature's gift so unappealling.

If you cooked up some minced chicken, rice, garlic and vegetables, and then left it to cool down it would be every bit as gross-looking as the nature's gift is.

However if you were to add emulsifiers, gelling agents, colours, salt, and flavours to what you were cooking, it would look, smell and taste better wouldn't it? Would it be better for you?

One of the most popular flavourings used in dog food is caramel. Yum.

personally I find it pretty gross, it smells funny and the texture doesn't look right, dog gets smelly farts etc.

Thoughts?

I (for some sad reason) like the smell of it. (The Nature's Gift, not the farts :laugh: ). My boys aren't farty dogs at all, so dont have that prob. I've toured the Uncle Bens factory in Albury, where I saw many different types of canned foods made. I can never really look at it the same way now. Ewwww! My boys get a tiny bit of Nature's Gift each night amongst other things.

My little old Lhasa has the occasional "tin" of My Dog (it's more like a foil tray) every now and then as a treat and she quite likes it, but she much prefers the raw food I make up for both the dogs. Mince, raw veges, cheese, eggs, oatmeal, cooked pumpkin and whatever else looks good....yoghurt, cottage cheese, tinned fish etc.

If you want to feed a commercial food, try the Ecopet dog rolls. They smell nice and have no preservatives. Just slice and dice.

Who here makes Aeroplane Jelly??? What do you think the "gelling agent" is????? Gelatine!!!

What is Gelatine

If you read that.. you will never eat jelly again....!!!!

Emulsifiers such as Lecithins (E322), help mix ingredients together that would normally separate, such as oil and water.

Stabilisers, such as locust bean gum (E410) made from carob beans, help stop these ingredients from separating again.

Emulsifiers and stabilisers also give foods a consistent texture. They are used in foods such as low-fat spreads and other sweet and savoury foods.

The most common gelling agent is pectin (E440), which is used to make jam. Gelling agents are used to change the consistency of food. Thickeners help give body to food in the same way as adding flour thickens a sauce.

Also:

What is Dog Food

beef by product

ground up hooves, tails, noses and other assorted bits and bobs that they don't have to specify, usually made up from parts that don't quite make it into the food chain, and probably have fallen on the floor, etc...

Try the Eagle Pack tins also, or Ziwipeak, more recognizable ingredients!

Who here makes Aeroplane Jelly??? What do you think the "gelling agent" is????? Gelatine!!!

What is Gelatine

What is Dog Food

:eek: I've never been a big fan of jelly...But you're right Mystiqview - I'll never eat it again!!!!!

Who cares what things caome from or are, as long as they are not dangerous to eat and taste good!

Who cares what things caome from or are, as long as they are not dangerous to eat and taste good!

Well, I do! ;) :eek: And I also care about what my dogs eat! :rofl:

I also feed Nature Gift tin as treat every now and then. The dogs love it but I usually make them eat their veges before their McDonald's - if you get my drift :thumbsup:

But to the OP, if your dog gets a stinky butt after eating NG, then I wouldn't feed it :shrug: Gross for you and a rumbly belly can't be fun for your dog either :rofl:

I must admit I like the smell of Nature's Gift as well :(

Me too :confused:

I keep natures gift in the pantry in case of emergency. Even the fussiest of foster dog's i've had have liked it!

My mum used to buy My Dog allllll the time for her three... After nagging her for ages about all the crap in it, she's finally stopped buying it...

Yeah, I wont be buying it again. As I said, I only buy a can every second week or so..

I sometimes bought him the Advance canned food but it's really expensive.

I wouldn't mind switching him to BARF.. need to do more research as it all seems really confusing to me..

What is Gelatine

What is Dog Food

:confused: I've never been a big fan of jelly...But you're right Mystiqview - I'll never eat it again!!!!!

Gelatine is also something commonly used in many a pastry and sweet at your favourite restaurant or bakery. I did two apprentice blocks cheffing when I first left school... hmm we had it in powder form and also in leaf form.

I never did like jelly... Trifle, or anything else that has jelly in.... Chocolate on the other hand.. never can get enough!

I rarely use tinned food... I have used a tablespoon of the gravy style ones when I had a dog not wanting to eat dry food.. But prefer if I need to feed raw.. Get turkey tails by the 16kg box. chicken frames. pure 100% chicken frame mince... Much nicer than tin food.

What is Gelatine

What is Dog Food

:) I've never been a big fan of jelly...But you're right Mystiqview - I'll never eat it again!!!!!

That's just it Superkaz...Jelly never tasted great to me and now I guess I just have another reason not to like it! :)