Oh Dear - Nasty Bot Bot Issue

A friend of mine called me tonight and he has an issue with a dog he rescued from his local pound.

It is a female dog and she has something protruding from her bottom.

I got him to take a photo so I could post to see what people think. I am thinking a prolapsed rectum?

The bitch is booked to see a vet first thing in the morning (for desexing) and I think that if the dog is showing no signs of discomfort or pain that he would be Ok to wait until the morning. Unfortunately his emerency vet is not the best.......

Any ideas?

post-3016-1199962164_thumb.jpg

Forget what it is called..

But basicly.. if the dog had a hard time pooing... a section of the inside of the poo tube can stick out.....

There is a cream you can buy...which will relieve any discomfort.. and that piece of skin will go back inside.

Not a great help.. cause I damn well cannot remember the name. The thing I am thinking of is not REALLY normally bad...

If the dog is going in tomorrow. mention it to the vets.

It looks like some sort of protusion of the rectum - maybe caused to too hard stools, or too much straining. It may well go back inside itself.

If the dog is going to the vet in the am, it will be find until then.

However, if more of whatever it is comes out - try to keep it clean, and perhaps make a little sling to keep it in, with a damp pad of wadding or material to keep it clean and avoid infection.

I wouldn't like the look of it much, but I wouldnt panic. No big deal. One of those things which looks bad - and the very worst is that a bit more will come out ---- and then do as I suggested above.

Probably it will stay as is, and will probably go back by itself, but worth having the vet check it, whether it is in or out.

• 2 weeks later...