Becoming A Groomer?

DOGFATHER

I've done both and you will never get me out of the salon again either. Each to their own and there's certainly a place for mobile groomers.

As for the Tafe course, I've not seen one person who's done that course, come out with a skill level that would see them able to work alone and do a good job. Training in a salon , with a top groomer, is the only way to learn. Tafe might be able to teach you how to do the books but that's about it.

I dont wash my own show dogs in a Hydrobath, they dont even get pet bathed in one, a far better job is done in the laundry tub if you ask me!

I think alot of salons wash the small /mediums/youngsters in a tub/bath rather than a hydrobath, a Salon I was in washed all the large breeds in a hydrobath, soaped them up big time then transferred them to a human bath for rinsing & conditioning/protein treatments etc...........If I was in a salon now I doubt I would use my Hydrobath, but I am forced to being Mobile.

I've done both and you will never get me out of the salon again either. Each to their own and there's certainly a place for mobile groomers.

As for the Tafe course, I've not seen one person who's done that course, come out with a skill level that would see them able to work alone and do a good job. Training in a salon , with a top groomer, is the only way to learn. Tafe might be able to teach you how to do the books but that's about it.

I am disappointed at the attitude towards TAFE courses by DOL members. Firstly there are a number of different types of courses available both short courses for the home groomer and more advanced for those wishing to start out in the industry. As with any training and profession the academic training is only the beginning of the process, and it will take years in some cases to be totally proficient. People attend university and study to become a teacher, and when they finish a 3 year degree they are not able to teach to a high standard and will progess their skills over time with practice, mistakes and advice.

For some people Tafe is the begining of a career and is the only way to get started.

People attend university and study to become a teacher,

Sorry not a good conparisn.

They study fulltime for how many years??

They have a highly qualified/experienced person teaching them.They do exams,work experience etc etc.

Tafe for grooming DOES NOT educate the novice for what the profession requires & many of us have seen the work of a tafe educated person.It wasnt there fault they just did what they where taught

I am disappointed at the attitude towards TAFE courses by DOL members. Firstly there are a number of different types of courses available both short courses for the home groomer and more advanced for those wishing to start out in the industry

Have you done either ?/Many on this list have after being advised what it would be like & where disappointed in the fact they wasted there money.

We have a number of clients ( some new to showing peoplle) who have done the home course.You take your own dog & this person took her showdog & was told how to groom it(2 day course ).Thankgod she had the sense to walk out before the person ruined the dogs coat due having no clue themsleves.

They have a highly qualified/experienced person teaching them.They do exams,work experience etc etc.

Tafe for grooming DOES NOT educate the novice for what the profession requires & many of us have seen the work of a tafe educated person.It wasnt there fault they just did what they where taught

I am disappointed at the attitude towards TAFE courses by DOL members. Firstly there are a number of different types of courses available both short courses for the home groomer and more advanced for those wishing to start out in the industry

Have you done either ?/Many on this list have after being advised what it would be like & where disappointed in the fact they wasted there money.

We have a number of clients ( some new to showing peoplle) who have done the home course.You take your own dog & this person took her showdog & was told how to groom it(2 day course ).Thankgod she had the sense to walk out before the person ruined the dogs coat due having no clue themsleves.

The point I was making about a teacher training is that it is like most professions and that is the formal training is only the start of the process in becoming a competent professional. All professions require years of experience to become an expert. I have dealt with a number of groomers who are working in the industry, and got their start in TAFE. Swinburne Uni in Victoria offered a course for existing groomers to advance thier skills and this course was conducted in a salon. The feedback from the students was excellent. TAFE courses are the same as groomers, there are some bad ones out there but the whole industry should not be tarnished. TAFE courses need to be encouraged as it is the only way to formally train people for the industry. For the industry to grow in status, training and qualifications need to be done in a formal and accredited way, not in an adhoc fashion by learning from a groomer with no quality control.

The point I was making about a teacher training is that it is like most professions and that is the formal training is only the start of the process in becoming a competent professional. All professions require years of experience to become an expert. I have dealt with a number of groomers who are working in the industry, and got their start in TAFE. Swinburne Uni in Victoria offered a course for existing groomers to advance thier skills and this course was conducted in a salon. The feedback from the students was excellent. TAFE courses are the same as groomers, there are some bad ones out there but the whole industry should not be tarnished. TAFE courses need to be encouraged as it is the only way to formally train people for the industry. For the industry to grow in status, training and qualifications need to be done in a formal and accredited way, not in an adhoc fashion by learning from a groomer with no quality control.

But we're not talking Swinburne uni... We are talking about the Adelaide TAFE grooming course which is not adequate by any standard. I started my grooming career doing a a cert II at the same TAFE and ended up finding a wonderful place to do work placement and I was kept on a trained.

The Adelaide grooming courses arent good enough even for the basics as you were comparing.

Pet Grooming Introduction

9 Week Course

Commencing: 5th Feb or 29th April

Tuesdays 6-9pm

The course is designed to provide people wanting to work in the pet grooming industry with introductory skills and knowledge necessary to perform a variety of pet grooming and clipping activities. Course covers basic grooming techniques, equipment maintenance, common skin conditions, specific dog breed grooming and cat grooming.

Students will need to purchase their own equipment. Equipment list supplied after enrolment. Equipment not required to be purchased until after the first class. As the course is largely practical, participants who fail to bring grooming equipment will not benefit fully from this course.

Cost: $675.00 Plus equipment (minimum $400.00)

5 Day Course

21st – 25th April

or 14th – 18th July

or 29th Sept – 3rd Oct

Monday – Friday 9am – 4pm

The course is designed to provide people wanting to work in the pet grooming industry with introductory skills and knowledge necessary to perform a variety of pet grooming and clipping activities. Course covers basic grooming techniques, equipment maintenance, common skin conditions, specific dog breed grooming and cat grooming.

Students will need to purchase their own equipment. Equipment list supplied after enrolment. Equipment will be required for the first class. As the course is largely practical, participants who fail to bring grooming equipment will not benefit fully from this course.

Cost: $675.00 Plus equipment (minimum $400.00)

One example(WA)

Janine Lumsden

This 5 day intensive course will be of interest to persons who want to further develop their dog grooming skills. At the completion of this course, participants will be able to bath, groom, slip, scissor and style most common breeds of dogs.

Pre-requisite: Students must have completed Box Hill Institute’s

Introduction to Pet Grooming.

BAS02

Fee $ 750.00 (GST exempt)

Home > Short Courses> BAS01

Introduction to Pet Grooming

Janine Lumsden

This 5 day course is designed for those interested in becoming professional dog groomers. No dog grooming experience is needed, although animal handling skills are useful. Practical grooming and basic pet care is a large part of this course. Information on the business and personal skills required to become a successful dog groomer is included as well as a reference book on dog grooming techniques.

BAS01

Fee $ 690.00 (GST exempt)

Vic)(

Edited by settrlvr

At the completion of this course, participants will be able to bath, groom, slip, scissor and style most common breeds of dogs.

This is where they get themselves into trouble. It does make it sound like you will be capable of going off and opening a shop.

Thanks for finding all that info btw

Edited by Ari