Dog Trainer Courses

The Delta course is a bit more expensive, but includes the cost of accommodation during the practical training blocks. I believe though that you are also expected to purchase a number of training books as course materials on top of the course fees, can anyone who has done the Delta course confirm?

ROM, your terminology is correct :wave:

Yep, they expect you to get a heap of books, I am not a fan of Delta at all, i have had a huge fight with people from there about a few things rolleyes:

I actually signed up to do it, but 2 weeks before i pulled out. I was also doing visits to nursing homes with Atlas, and dropped out of that. I wont support them in any way now.

The Delta course is a bit more expensive, but includes the cost of accommodation during the practical training blocks. I believe though that you are also expected to purchase a number of training books as course materials on top of the course fees, can anyone who has done the Delta course confirm?

How much is the Delta course :cheer:

Somewhere in the realm of $3500 I believe, plus whatever added costs are relevent.

$3500 :love: !!!!!

Cost shouldn't be the deciding factor when you are looking for education IMHO, although I realise it can be prohibitive for some. However, if it's the right course for you and it's a nationally recognised qualification the knowledge you gain is priceless.

Somewhere in the realm of $3500 I believe, plus whatever added costs are relevent.

$3500 :D !!!!!

Cost shouldn't be the deciding factor when you are looking for education IMHO, although I realise it can be prohibitive for some. However, if it's the right course for you and it's a nationally recognised qualification the knowledge you gain is priceless.

I'm sure you're right. I am shocked because I never realised what these courses actually cost.

I've just started the NDTF course by distance learning. Literally the stuff arrived this Monday morning. I have 4 DVD's to watch and notes and an assessment. They are trialling the practical blocks in Dural this year for NSW based students - I snuck in on the last place for my course. I've only just started but it is exactly what I wanted - the training and behaviour. First part is about senses and body language of dogs. I think it is a pretty comprehensive course and it seems the trainers are highly regarded by people who have had their dogs trained by NDTF trainers.

Just so you know lilli- the delta course docuses on positive reinforcement only training while the NDTF course it a bit broader. I do know people who have loved the delta course but i think it depends what type of training you want to do and what dogs your dealing with.

thanks cosmolo - is NDTF the only course that looks at all theories?

The Delta course examines all the theories of training and covers behaviour as well. It is as broad, if not broader, than the NDTF one, in the theoretical content of these topics. Training ability is also taught and evaluated as is instructing ability. Animal (canine) behaviour can be studied at a tertiary level but doesn't necessarily have the practical elements that the NFDT and Delta courses have. Because the NDFT and Delta courses are framework (competency based) qualifications they have many units in common. Understanding how a national qualification is built within this system is worthwhile when choosing what to study and who to study with.

Blu

Just so you know lilli- the delta course docuses on positive reinforcement only training while the NDTF course it a bit broader. I do know people who have loved the delta course but i think it depends what type of training you want to do and what dogs your dealing with.

thanks cosmolo - is NDTF the only course that looks at all theories?

The Delta course examines all the theories of training and covers behaviour as well. It is as broad, if not broader, than the NDTF one, in the theoretical content of these topics. Training ability is also taught and evaluated as is instructing ability. Animal (canine) behaviour can be studied at a tertiary level but doesn't necessarily have the practical elements that the NFDT and Delta courses have. Because the NDFT and Delta courses are framework (competency based) qualifications they have many units in common. Understanding how a national qualification is built within this system is worthwhile when choosing what to study and who to study with.

Blu

A lot of your information is incorrect or unsubstantiated Blu.

According to their course synopsis, the following is a list of the units of competency from the Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services course offered by Delta and the Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training offered by the National Dog Trainers Federation (NDTF). By clicking on the respective course titles you can go to their website for more information on what is covered in each unit. Units included in both courses appear in bold:

Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services

ALTFA1A Apply Basic First Aid: NB This unit is not offered by Delta, you must obtain it seperately from another RTO, probably at an additional cost

BSZ404A Provide Training through Instruction and Demonstration of Work Skills

RUV3101A Carry out Workplace OH&S Procedures

RUV3503A Work Effectively in the Companion Animal Industry

RUV3504A Monitor and Maintain Health of Companion Animals

RUV4101A Implement and Monitor the Organisation's OH&S Program

RUV4501A Manage Compliance in the Companion Animal Industry

RUV4506A Develop Enrichment Strategies for Companion Animals

RUV4511A Provide Training Advice to Companion Animal Owners

RUV4512A Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes

RUV4611A Prepare, Deliver and Review Animal Care Education Programs

21574VIC Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training

RUV2102A Follow OH&S Procedures in an Animal Care Environment

RUV2104A Provide Food and Water for Animals

RUV2105A Participate in Workplace Communications

RUV2107A Provide Basic First Aid for animals

RUV4512A Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes

VBN806 Apply Animal Psychology to Modifiy Canine Behaviour

VBN807 Investigate and Assess Canine Behaviour

VBN808 Conduct Dog Obedience and Agility Classes

VBN809 Identify and Manage Canine Behaviour Problems

VBN810 Monitor Canine Health Care

VBN811 Teach Dogs Complex Skills and Tricks

VBN812 Train Dogs for Basic Assisstace Roles

VBN813 Train Dogs for Basic Substance Detection

VBN814 Train Dogs for Basic Tracking and Trailing

Points to note in comparison:

The Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training includes some imported units (the 'RUV' units), however was largely written by the National Dog Trainers Federation to be specific to dogs, dog training and dog behaviour.

The Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services was not written by Delta or Delta instructors and it is not specific to dogs, dog training or dog behaviour. Delta claim that while they deliver the training package in accordance with DEST requirements, they have customised their delivery to have a "distinct Delta orientation". When delivering a training package or unit of competency, a small amount of additional information is allowed to be included beyond what is outlined in the training package, however you are not allowed to be assessed on information given that is not in the training package, nor can you recieve any kind of nationally recognised qualification for it.

As noted on their website, the Delta Society promotes the use of what they refer to as only humane methods and equipment. This basically means they advocate the 'positive only' style of training. Dogs attending the practical training elements must be on only flat collars, martingales, harnessess or headcollars. "If prospective students use or promote check chains this course will not be suitable for them". Given this, I really doubt that they teach a balance of all training styles and pieces of equipment and it certainly wouldn't be "as broad, if not broader" than that offered by the NDTF who pride themselves on covering a scientific, unbiased view of ALL styles of training and ALL types of equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done half of my NDTF course and will be finishing it later this year (after I get back from Thailand :laugh: ) and have been very happy with it so far.

The only annoying thing is that on the theory weekends they have to cram so much into each day that you get a bit sick of sitting in the room from 9am - 4pm.

But the trainers are great, although the lectures are long they are very interesting. I cant wait to finish it!

Well I have been accepted into the NDTF course and as a bonus they thought I lived in Sydney so they have accidently placed me into the Sydney metropolitan only course (practical) which I had previously been told I was not eligible for as I am not in Sydney, but it's their mistake and it saves me 8 hours in driving time!!

I am really excited and cant wait to start!!

• 1 month later...