How Long Do Flea Bites Last?

Missie

Hi, I'm new to the dog world and feeling a little dumb. :rofl:

Our Jack Russell started itching I think over the past two weeks. The base of her tail and tummy are red and some parts looking raw where she scratches, drags and rolls herself over the ground.

I purchased Advantage flea stuff and applied it as directed yesterday. I believe the fleas should die within 12 hrs but she is still itching.

How long does a flea bite last?

If I get bitten by a mossie the bite remains itchy long after the mossie has gone. Are flea bites of a similar nature?

I have cleaned out her kennel and replaced her blanket.

Any thoughts? :(

Edited by Missie

Dogs that are allergic to fleas react to the saliva and as Cavandra says it can take up to two weeks for the allergic reaction to die down. The original bites will still be itching even though the fleas that made them are long dead. I find Advantage to be very good, but if you have a lot of fleas in the environment it will take a while to eradicate them.

You have to wash all dog bedding, vacuum carpets etc. as well.

If mozzies are also a problem Advantix covers them as well as fleas and ticks.

Are you in a paralysis tick area? You need to apply either Advantix or Frontline fortnightly to cover paralysis tick.

Try pricelesspets.com.au

YOu can also get Permoxin and mix it up in a spray, and spray the dog daily for 14 days. It is also good to use on bedding/carpet.

it also takes Frontline/Advantage/tix up to about 3 days to start working on dogs depending on coat length.

I would recommend Capstar tablets as well. This will only kill adult fleas that are currently on the dog. It works within the first 24 hours.

But like others have said, you also have to treat the surrounding areas/bedding to prevent re infestation.

About 30 hrs have past since I applied the Advantage flea stuff.

I noticed she stopped itching about 4hrs ago and the redness is dying down. So it seems to work very well.

We have gone from having a misserable sad looking Jack Russell, that possibly would have needed vet treatment because of the scratched skin, to one that now almost looks normal.

Thanks for all the replies. :laugh: