Dog 'digging' On The Couch

Moosashi

Hey guys,

Im after suggestions on how to correct a problem. My 6 month old spoodle has decided, in the last month or so, that 'digging' on the couch cushions is something she'd like to make a hobby out of.

My wife and i don't have a problem with her sitting on the couch with us in the evening - she usually just sleeps next to us quietly. However, her latest trick is to 'dig' on the couch, like she would out in the yard.

It started off as a gradual thing, where she'd come and just scratch at the cushions a few times, we'd tell her 'no' and she'd generally settle down. However, in the past 2 weeks or so, it's become a big deal. She'll jump up and dig as fast as she can, will ignore any attempts at correcting her and it generally winds up with her in 'time out' where we put her outside for a while. This happens throughout the day now, and it's usually always when one or both of us are in the room.

I don't really know how to go about stopping it, i've tried ignoring her to see if it's just an attention thing, have tried distracting her with her toys etc. Even scruffing her wont work - she thinks it's a game. If it is an attention thing, then what is the best way of correcting it without 'giving in' to her?

Thanks in advance,

-Moose

Hrmmm our 5 year old mini foxie likes to do this :confused: and decided to do it when we had the covers off in the wash... lets just say we have a big hole now in the foam grrrr so sorry I am not much help because given the chance our boy will do it when he thinks he isnt being watched.

You'll find you dog is making a "nest" to lie down/sleep in. This is very normal and my dogs do it in their beds prior to settling down, but in your case quite annoying when its being done on the couch.

Personally to stop it I would just put the dog on the floor every time she does it without speaking at all. She will most likely jump back up as she is allowed to sleep on the couch, but just keep putting her down each time she does it without saying anything and no eye contact. She will soon get the picture.

Maybe get her a bed set up next to the couch where she can dig and make herself a nest all she likes ? She will continue to dig until you set new ground rules as its a natural behaviour. Maybe sleeping on the couch is not one of them if you dont want scratched couches.

Good luck :confused:

My dog does this in the car when she's on the back seat, and now that I think about it, it usually is before she lies down like BC said.

Unless you want your couch shredding to bits I'd suggest you buy her a bed of her own, or get a really strong couch cover!

BC and everyone else,

Thanks for the replies - it had been suggested to us before that it might be a nesting thing, like trying to get comfortable almost. I have noticed every now and again she does it to her bed.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any further ideas then im all ears!

BC and everyone else,

Thanks for the replies - it had been suggested to us before that it might be a nesting thing, like trying to get comfortable almost. I have noticed every now and again she does it to her bed.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any further ideas then im all ears!

Not sure if this is relevent but most of my dogs will do a few scratches before lying down but Jedda will scratch madly if the weather is hot. Her bed has a foam covered mattress in it and she will attack it when it's hot. I just take the foam out and put a cotton sheet in and she lies down straight away. She was doing the same on the couch until I put a cotton doona cover over it. Maybe worth a try?

Hi Moosashi

Both our girls do this little digging regime .... not all the time .

As other have posted, they seem to like to make a little ' nest' to lie in

I agree with BC , when you see your dog doing this, remove her straight from the couch

Good luck :laugh:

If you want it to stop- you can put the dog in the floor soon as it starts (as previous post).

Or, say, "uh, uh" in a deeper, displeased sort of voice.

If they fail to stop, put dog on the floor immediately (so they connect being put on floor with the digging).

Dog will get the idea if you're consistent.

Dig, and it's no lounge!

My dogs do this in their beds or if the kids leave a blanket or pillow on the floor.

My puppy does this when she's tired and trying to find a comfortable spot on her pillow/bed. Thankfully she hasn't ripped either up yet! :D

We noticed that sometimes she would go into this wild frenzy in her crate digging away at her bed, with her head on the bed, and forepaws digging away furiously. It was the most hilarious sight!! The bewildered look on her face when she stopped to look at us was priceless!! :) She hasn't done this for a while now though.

Roxy does this to anything she is trying to make comfortable (the couch, her bed etc).

Missy has started to do it as well.

We used to sit there and find it quite amusing how they'd go round and round in circles trying to get comfortable!

However, we just got a new lounge suite this weekend and we've had to make a new rule, no dogs on the lounge at all. They've learnt already that they are not allowed on the new lounge suite, they got a loud "uh uh" when they attemped it. They got the idea pretty quickly. But teaching your girl that she can't go on a couch that she has previously been allowed to use could be a bit of a task!

Maybe you could put a blanket down on the part of the couch that she uses, and teach her that she is only allowed to lye on her blanket which she can dig at all she likes. Changes are if there is a nice fluffy blanket on one end of the couch, that's the end she will want to lye on.