Bone Dust?

Hi DOLers

I went to my wholesale butcher to get some meat... and the butcher there went out back and collected like the "dust" from their cutter? like all the leftover "dust" from when they slice meat and stuff.. he said its really good for dogs cos its mainly bone and meat... and so the dogs get the calcium without choking...

Does anyone else feed their dogs this?

I've never fed my dogs 'bone dust' and providing it's just pieces of meat and bone it's probably fine, although I'd imagine that there'd be far more bone than meat. However I don't feed bones to give my dogs calcium, I feed bones so that my dogs can exercise their jaws, clean their teeth and just experience the sheer joy that dogs seem to receive from this activity.

Yes, I have fed bone dust in the past :cry:

It's incredibly rich and concentrated so if you do use it, only a little at a time. :cry: My partner fed it to the dogs like it was mince and BOY did they get the runs! :cry:

I'm with Miranda - give them a nice juicy bone. :o

Our dogs enjoy the bone 'dust; , but, yes it has a lot of marrow/fat in it usually, so feed sparingly :cool:

Does your dog have constipation, or is she just having to use some effort to defaecate ?

If she is just having to use a bit of force to 'go'..then that is fine..it also means that the anal glands will probably get emptied :(

If, on the other hand , she is straining without result, and uncomfortable, then maybe she needs some help in the form of a bit of canned food, or paraffin oil.

Bones should be fed in proportion to other parts of the diet :eek:

LMWS: i know totally off topic, but i so want a white shepard now after hearing about Hope :D

blacklabrador: sorry, could you explain what you mean? Is there another cut of meat I should give her?

I know your question was directed at BL but......simply put, meat is high in phosphorus and low in calcium. Bone, however, is high in calcium and low in phosphorus. A deficiency or oversupply of either mineral can be detrimental. Raw meaty bones provide the perfect balance. Hope that helps :cheer: