Jack Isn't Himself Today -- Sore Shoulder?

Mooper

Hopefully some personal experiences that can help solve this mystery ...

Jack hasn't been himself all day today, which we put down to the warmer weather. He was outside for much of the morning, under the house in the cool, but panted a fair bit when he came in.

Whenever I'd move about the house, I'd come back to find him just standing there having what I thought was the canine equivalent of a senior moment -- you know, looking a tad confused. He's 8yo next week so I figure that's nothing to worry about too much.

I took him outside later and sat with him in the shade, rubbing his tummy. I held his left front paw and he let out a cry :) Thinking he'd stepped on some broken glass (OH dropped a bottle of olive oil in the kitchen last night) I checked his pads but there's nothing untoward there.

Outside again later, I ran my hand down the left front leg pretty firmly and got no reaction other than a wagging tail :) Until I got back up to the shoulder, and then Jack pretty much crumpled in a heap, crying again.

We took him for a short walk in the cool of the evening and he's happy as larry out on his lead. There's no sign of limping, but he is taking what you would call purposeful steps. If an aircraft flies overheard nearby, or a dog in the street barks, Jack seems to forget his pain and races to the door.

What could it be? What makes the fleshy bit of the shoulder (I think that's where it is?) suddenly hurt so much?

We mopped up the olive oil last night straight after the accident, so I don't think he slipped on that. And he hasn't really done zoomies today. He was well enough to bury a marrowbone in my zucchini garden bed :)

Any clues? :laugh:

I suspect we'll be off to the vet in the morning, unless it's just a short-term muscular thing that fixes itself with some rest overnight.

Oh, a few more facts. As I said, Jack will be eight soon. He's bang on 30kg, ACD x GSD (we think) who is the size of a petite German Shepherd. He's never had any muscular or joint issues before. He did have a grade 3 mast cell tumour removed from the other side of his body, down near the hip, in October but hasn't had any more lumps since then.

We're baffled ... and hoping against hope that this isn't another cancer of some sort. We hate seeing him in pain, and hearing the crying is even worse :rofl:

Edited by Mooper

Thanks, PR :) The boofer was hooning around the yard chasing the mynahs away from a bone this morning, and he's not panting. So who knows?

I'll take him to the vet anyway, to get their opinion on what it is/was. I've been meaning to get him in for a check-up, regardless.

I'll ask the vet about it, Warley. Paula_canberra's PM inbox is full but I reckon if I give her a call, she may be able to point me in the right direction. Although I think her vet in Weston Ck deals with her foster greys.

I was thinking the same as Warley - pinched nerve.

But with his history of MCT - I would definitely be getting him checked over to make sure that there is no further tumours, they can be small sometimes and hard to detect.

I know the wart like one on Ollies foot got sore and he used to limp before it was removed.

Best of luck and give him a hug for me

Jodes

Thanks, Jodie. Hugs delivered :laugh:

We're back from the vet. We saw Michael Archinal today. Jack thoroughly enjoyed his massage from Michael; he loves him :thumbsup:

The shoulder isn't the problem, it's the front left elbow, and Jack's compensating for that which is now making his shoulder tender.

It's likely to be the beginnings of arthritis, so Jack will finally have glucosamine added to his BARF and some fish oil capsules (1000mg a day). I've been so lazy in not giving them to him sooner :laugh:

Michael noticed signs of a low-level allergy in Jack's paws, and he does scratch a lot just after the lawn has been mowed, so the fish oil should help that. He's also on a five-day course of anti-inflammatories and while walks are still allowed, he's not allowed to have an off-lead romp. No fast games of fetch in the backyard, either, but he shouldn't need to be crated inside the house.

I felt like such a dingbat ... it was only once we got into the consultation room that I realise I've been running with Jack of a morning for the past few weeks instead of just walking. As soon as I thought that, and wondered aloud whether that's it, Michael said that will more than likely be the culprit. Why didn't I think of that before? :thumbsup:

So Jack's career as a distance runner is over :laugh: and, gosh darn it, I can't run in the mornings either :o

His weight is fantastic, at 29.2kg, and Michael was really happy with all his vitals and lymph nodes. He doesn't think any other tests following up from the MCT are necessary as we've found no lumps or bumps. But, of course, we need to keep checking allll the time.

Vehs, the vet also complemented you on your wash and blowdry of Jack as he's never felt such a soft ACD X The boofer got told his teeth are perfect, too :laugh:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, advice and PMs :laugh:

Moops, glad to hear that it's nothing serious.

You might consider adding green lipped muscle rather than just MSM to his diet. In addition to being anti-inflammatory, it also has some natural pain killing attributes. I've added it to Ted's diet on advice from our holistic vet and am very happy with the results.

You might consider adding green lipped muscle rather than just MSM to his diet. In addition to being anti-inflammatory, it also has some natural pain killing attributes. I've added it to Ted's diet on advice from our holistic vet and am very happy with the results.

Thanks for the tip, PF. Yeah, I got a tub of Joint Guard which does indeed contain MSM as well as glucosamine etc. I'll look into the mussel option. I presume it's available as a powder?

I still haven't made it to Cardowan in the last week so I'll ask the bloke when I eventually get there :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, PF. Yeah, I got a tub of Joint Guard which does indeed contain MSM as well as glucosamine etc. I'll look into the mussel option. I presume it's available as a powder?

I still haven't made it to Cardowan in the last week so I'll ask the bloke when I eventually get there :thumbsup:

Yep, available in powder and there is a specific one for dogs. You can order it online direct from Technyflex

Those guys should be paying me commission. :thumbsup:

Seeing he is 8 it could be some arthritis setting in if it turns out not to be his paw.

A course of anti-arthritis (I forget the name) injections could help him.

As it turns out, you were just about right! But there's no need for injections yet. We've caught it early enough that a course of anti-inflammatories together with dietary supplements and no more running on concrete should see him come good :thumbsup:

ETA Thanks for the link, PF :thumbsup:

Edited by Mooper

Phew!

Vehs, the vet also complemented you on your wash and blowdry of Jack as he's never felt such a soft ACD X The boofer got told his teeth are perfect, too

Yeah everyone in the shop was impressed with Jack's teeth as well... Dieter got a lot of bones last night to try and match up :laugh: my excuse is that D's canines are longer than Jack's :D

Anyways, glad he's on the mend :angel: