Staffyluv

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He looked wonderful last night when we stopped by. In great spirits!! :rofl:

He loves having visitors Moops... He was buzzing around the place for an hour after you two left.

He is really good this morning too. He is desperate for a walk but he has to wait until those stitches come out and then we will ask the vet what he thinks about going out. Hopefully next Wednesday as the stitches come out on Tuesday.

The lad has his stitches out yesterday and went to the park (because the vet said it was OK to go now). He loved it. He has not had a walk for two weeks and I think he pee'd on every vertical object in the park :love:

He was very tired after and slept most of the day away but came round late yesterday when everyone came home from work - he is bouncing off the walls at the moment. It just makes my heart sing when I see him so happy.

Thanks for all the support during yet another trying time with Ollie dog

Thanks so much Helen, you have been a tower of strength these past 3 years (yep it has been that long) with Ollies MCT and other stuff.

He is under the Christmas tree because someone sent one of the kids a box of something that obviously smells good and he can't stay away from it. Every time I get the camera he growls at me and leaves the room - I don't think he likes having his photo taken :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, on Thursday Maxi goes in for surgery to remove a pea sized lump from his chest/shoulder. It appeared before Xmas.

The vet thinks there could be cause for concern but didn't do a needle aspiration, and we are going to go ahead and remove the lump with margins straight off with the first surgery. I might also ask her to do a needle aspiration the "lipoma" on the side of his chest just behind the foreleg while he is under.

I am trying to stay positive and hoping it doesn't show anything too difficult to treat, but still looking through this thread to prepare myself just in case.

The histamine factor is interesting.

The anti cancer diet sounds interesting, is there a website with details?

sending positive thoughts that the limp is just a lump and nothing more.

the MCTs pump out histamines so if a MCT is suspected then Maxi should get dosed with antihistamine BEFORE surgery to prevent this.

The canine Cancer awareness site is a good start for information run by somne very special people:

http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/

Good Luck

Helen and the Maremma crew in particular Lucinda who has been living with MCT grade 3 since 28 aug 2002

Hi, on Thursday Maxi goes in for surgery to remove a pea sized lump from his chest/shoulder. It appeared before Xmas.

The vet thinks there could be cause for concern but didn't do a needle aspiration, and we are going to go ahead and remove the lump with margins straight off with the first surgery. I might also ask her to do a needle aspiration the "lipoma" on the side of his chest just behind the foreleg while he is under.

I am trying to stay positive and hoping it doesn't show anything too difficult to treat, but still looking through this thread to prepare myself just in case.

oh IDWT sorry to hear that

hope Maxi's lump turns out to be nothing bad

will be thinking of you both on Thursday, please let us know how he goes

Sorry to hear that IDWT - everything crossed for a fatty lump.

Personally I would have insisted on a needle aspirate to confirm MCT before going the the trouble of trying for clear margins without knowing what you are looking at but I am not a vet, I just know what my vet does. I think all lumps should be aspirated - because one of Ollie's MCTs was thought to be a lipoma and turned out to be MCT in a place that they could not possible get clear margins (on the front of his throat).

The anti cancer diet is amazing - I don't follow it to the letter anymore but we use the main foods. With MCT, I do believe that the combination of surgery, chemo and holistic therapy is what has given Ollie so much more time than even the canine oncologist thought possible. ALthough not cured (he still has MCTs) he is enjoying what our vet likes to call the longest remission in the history of MCT :)

There is a link to the canine cancer diet in the rotty thread somewhere - I will have a look for you tomorrow

Good luck with your pooch and let us know how you go.

Thanks Dogbesotted, RMC and Staffyluv, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind thoughts and advice. :)

The one on the chest is highly suspect, protruding through a thin layer of skin, about the size of a small pea, like a cross between a fluid filled blister and a blood blister. It's very ruddy, strange looking thing, the vet thought it immediately high on the suspect list.

It also looks fragile like it could easily burst or something, so I wasn't keen to suggest sticking a needle in it. I can't help but feel once it is disturbed, then it might spread or travel, so that is why I agreed with the vets opinion to remove it and the standard "margin" area as a first line of treatment.

The lipoma (at least that's what a vet thought a while back) behind his leg on his chest, has been there a while, so it would be a good opportunity to have it needle aspirated while he is under anaesthetic.

Is there a vet in the Northern Beaches of Sydney that would be better for this kind of thing? The one I would normally go to has left the area permanently. Should I ring the vet about the antihistamine treatment first?

hmm yr description sounds very like one that Lucinda has had on her back now for 3 years.. my vet feel it ius possibly a hemangioma but we are leaving well alone as L does not copw with the stress of surgery etc .. as we did not get clean margins with her MCT there is little point in subjecting her to further trauma.. she has had a happy life for over 6 years post dx.

I also think that a fine needle aspitare is not a bad idea.

re speaking with vet do as much research as possible and go in armed to the back teeth.. write your questions down before hand so you do not get side tracked etc .. make notes of answers if you like, get copies of lab reports.

cheers

helen

IDWT, I would wait and see before I start antihistamines.

I don't think they need to be knocked out for a needle aspirate - Ollie has them done while he is just standing there on the table and they don't seem to bother him at all.

Hopefully it will just be a mole or a wart that has become a bit infected.

I am in Canberra, so don't know many Sydney Vets - I know of a good one called Jason Pollard I think he has a couple of surgeries butnot sure where they are - pretty sure he is on the north side though. I have only heard good things about this man, so maybe he can help. Perhpas ask in the General forum for a good vet - most are happy to recommend a vet they have had a good experience with. I would recommend our wonderful vet but he is a bit far for you to travel.

There is also All Natural Vet Care in Russell Lea on Lyons Road up that way. ANVC Link

Good luck

Edited for spelling :laugh:

Edited by Staffyluv

IDWT the antihistamine comment was for just prior to surgery.. this was not done with Lucinda and she had a major antihistamine release and was very very ill for quite a while after wards. the antihistamine would have at least minimised the release.

there is no need to start antihistamines now and I am sorry if i gave that impression.. it should be discussed with yourvet prior to surgery.

L also was treates by All Natural Vets at Russell Lea...

cheers

helen

IDWT the antihistamine comment was for just prior to surgery.. this was not done with Lucinda and she had a major antihistamine release and was very very ill for quite a while after wards. the antihistamine would have at least minimised the release.

there is no need to start antihistamines now and I am sorry if i gave that impression.. it should be discussed with yourvet prior to surgery.

L also was treates by All Natural Vets at Russell Lea...

cheers

helen

Good idea Helen, I completely forgot about this happening - Ollie had the same thing when they went back the second time to try for clear margins.

IDWT talk to your vet first as Helen has suggested to get their opinion.

re speaking with vet do as much research as possible and go in armed to the back teeth.. write your questions down before hand so you do not get side tracked etc .. make notes of answers if you like, get copies of lab reports.

Helen, it's very heartening to hear that Lucinda is doing so well.

Up until yesterday, I knew nothing about Mast Cell Tumors, although I had heard of them I had never taken the time to learn about them. Maxis lump does not resemble a Hemangioma.

The lump is perfectly spherical, sits well above the surface of the skin, and appears to have a fine mebrane over it, there is no normal skin layer or hair over it.

Thanks for the clarification Staffyluv, re: the antihistamine, I will mention it to the vet anyway.

I am beginning to wonder if a fine needle aspirate, then in-clinic assessment, then sending the sample away would be better, but wouldn't a biopsy need to be done to get conclusive results? This could confirm MCT or any other kind of irregular growth and whether benign or not.

But when I weigh this up against the characteristics of the lump, how it gets bigger and smaller, and what I am learning about MCT, it certainly seems suspicous. Therefore going straight in and removing lump and margins, in a fairly accessable region of Maxis body, where there is plenty of loose skin and tissue, to compensate for tissue removal, then sending the whole sample with margins away for pathology, would be more conclusive, in terms of incomplete/complete lump removal and indicate more clearly the next step that would need to be taken.

I spoke to another practice to get an overview of how they handle this kind of thing, and while doing a needle aspriation is common, I was advised that with most obviously suspicious growths, the vet often recommends removal straight away.

With the other Lipoma type lump, it is very ambiguous, and would not rush to remove it at all, however will certainly be anxious to get the result of the needle aspiration, and if positive for MCT will give a go ahead for removal.

I'm just trying to get it clear in my mind so that I can respond quickly and make informed decisions.

If the surgery was more radical and on a less accessable part of Maxis body, I would think more conservatively.