Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

Ollie has been really good but had a bad day last Saturday and Sunday morning. He started to pick up around lunch time on Sunday,

I have pain meds here for him and administer if he looks like he needs it and we used them on Saturday. These days are so few and far between now that the vet is happy for me to deal with it unless I think he needs to go in.

He just gets real flat, won't eat and seems to have some pain (he drools really bad). So he just curls up on the lounge or where ever I am and stays with me until he feels better. I never offer him food but tend to put some manuka honey in his bowl of water as a sweetener for him to drink some more.

The only meal he missed was breaky and dinner on Saturday. I gave him some breaky on the Sunday but it sat there til lunch time when he scoffed it (was a chicken thigh fillet).

But he is back to his usual self now.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel so bad right now. A few days ago at the park I stepped on Ollies back foot and although he yelped at the time, there was no bleeding and he kept walking like everything was OK.

Well yesterday I noticed that his toe was swollen and red so off we go to the vet today. Samples were taken and looked at and the vet wants to send them away because he thinks it may be another type of tumour in the nail bed - not MCT...

I so hope it is not... I thought his toe was swollen because I stepped on his foot but the vet seems to think that it is just a coincidence that I stepped on it and now this 'tumour' thing is there...

Will update when we have more news and the results of the pathology is in....

Just an update the old man is in hospital tonight. He has come down with some stomach bug and can't keep water down, so is dehydrated and needs the drip tonight..

The pathology came back on the lump on his toe and it is a different type of tumour - a round cell tumour. It means removing his toe and that will be the end of it...

I really need time to think about everything...

Just an update the old man is in hospital tonight. He has come down with some stomach bug and can't keep water down, so is dehydrated and needs the drip tonight..

The pathology came back on the lump on his toe and it is a different type of tumour - a round cell tumour. It means removing his toe and that will be the end of it...

Staffyluv, I am sorry to hear that your old friend is in hospital. Every now and then I check in to see how he is going as you are both such an inspiration.

I can't begin to imagine all the hurdles you have crossed to come this far. Jake and I had a scare with a lump on his foot late last year which turned out to be a benign histiocytoma, but even going through a couple of days of uncertainty was hell. Not to mention the fact that Jake went into a staffy sook for several weeks after the op!

Sending you healing and pain free thoughts for Ollie from a fellow staffy lover.

Jess and Jake the dog. :rofl:

Jodie I can imagine the worry and stress you are going though with Ollie in hospital..and the toe.

This boy of yours is a trooper. Nothing seems to get him down for long.

I hope by morning he has bounced back to his usual happy self.

Sending healing vibes to Ollie and calming ones to you.

Thanks all,

I am going to leave it til around 11am to call and find out how he is. He is having full blood work done today and was on a drip overnight, hopefully he is going to be OK but I won't have him in any pain - I will make that decision before it gets to that...

I feel like crap today, I am so tired - I hardly slept at all because I could not hear him snoring on his bed beside mine...

Fingers crossed

A quick update:

So far he still has not eaten anything but the vet said he is bright enough. So I have taken up some chicken and pumpkin to see if he will have a go at that.

The blood work that was done inhouse all seems good (except for a kidney enzyme that indicated that he was dehydrated but we already knew that).

The other tests won't be back for a day or two but if he eats what I took up and keeps it down and is still bright later this afternoon he can come home...

Fingers crossed

He is home. Very quite and still not eating much but had a nibble on some BBQ chicken... He is sleeping on the lounge inside at the moment - I hope he picks up a bit for a tiny bit of dinner (only going to give him some pumkin, rice and chicken breast - just a few tablespoons will do).

His toe has to be removed because it is another type of cancer that apparently can spread quickly, so a decision needs to be made. The vet seems to think it will be fine and that he can handle it. I don't know if it is the right thing to put him through any more.. But if it is not removed the vet says that it will become painful and I don't want that to happen either...

I would really like to know why my boy seems to get all these things wrong - it just breaks my heart...

Your vet is fantastic, Staffyluv, so I'm sure he wouldn't even suggest removing Ollie's toe unless it's the lesser of two evils.

Great news that the boofer is home, and was tempted by some BBQ chook. I hope he picks up a little with your TLC tonight :confused:

Your vet is fantastic, Staffyluv, so I'm sure he wouldn't even suggest removing Ollie's toe unless it's the lesser of two evils.

Great news that the boofer is home, and was tempted by some BBQ chook. I hope he picks up a little with your TLC tonight :love:

I agree Moops, our vet is definitely one in a million. I know you are right but it is another surgery - on the one hand it will remove the cancer but on the other, I hate putting him through it... It will be done, OH and I talked about it last night and as Ollie is otherwise well, there really is no reason not to do it... His MCT is still in remission according to the blood work that was done this week - so that is BIG plus for us. All his other organ levels are fine - it was just the tummy upset this week, than dog...

oh jodie.. i missed this....

sending heaps of positive and healing energy to my fav staffy

love

helen

Thank you Helen - how are you holding up?

Jodie.. boy am i gladdened that Ollie is HOME and heading in the right direction. It seems that you have not tracked down ollies cache of medical conditions... so he keep popping up with something dofferent... i know staffies are smart but reading medical books???????? taking smart a bit too far methinks.

give the dear lad a cuddle from me.

We ( the pack and i) are doing ok up here.. missing Lucinda terribly tho. The days seem a little less bright without my gorgeous girl here physically but I think she is still overseeing everything here. Had guinness to the vet on Monday he was running a temp of close to 41deg c......scary. but tyoday it seems he has turned the corner and is oon the improve. Guinness has lost 8kgs over the past few months which is a worry.. so we are going to keep a close eye onhim. Tony the vet does not think this has anything to do with his oral tumour... so keeping fingers crossed.

hugs

helen

Hi Anne,

Very quiet. He does not appear to be ill and I have had to make his low carb diet, also low fat just in case it was a bit of trouble with his pancreas (vet suggestion)...

He wants to go for a walk, poor little lad just sits at the door waiting for me to take him. I am giving him a bit of rest after being unwell and in hospital but will take him for a small stroll tomorrow early while it is cool.

Thanks for thinking about him. Hope all is well with you

Jodie

Jodie, you and Ollie are always in my thoughts. I worry when I see a post from you in Ollies thread. I should know better, Ollie seems to be able to overcome the impossible, he's the little miracle man.

All here is as ok as it can be. Yesterday was the 6 month anniversary so was a bit of a tough day.