Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

Ollie has started toileting inside of a night - the door is open, so no excuse not to go out... There is even a night light on, so he can see his way.

The motions are normal (for him), it is not like he has the runs and can't get out quick enough...

This morning was the second time in a week and it was right near where he sleeps - I always thought dogs did not go to the toilet where they ate or slept???

I will take him to the vet on Saturday or later this evening if I can get out of work early enough...

Anyone seen or heard of this before - opinions appreciated...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ollie has started toileting inside of a night - the door is open, so no excuse not to go out... There is even a night light on, so he can see his way.

The motions are normal (for him), it is not like he has the runs and can't get out quick enough...

This morning was the second time in a week and it was right near where he sleeps - I always thought dogs did not go to the toilet where they ate or slept???

I will take him to the vet on Saturday or later this evening if I can get out of work early enough...

Anyone seen or heard of this before - opinions appreciated...

Jodie I think this often happens with our senior dogs. He may be losing the sensation of needing to 'go' and by the time he is aware of it there isn't enough time for him to make it to the door. He probably sleeps deeply at his age, I know my oldie, Faith, sleeps very soundly. She's developing a few senior dog behaviours. So far no bowel problems but she's leaking urine when she's asleep.

I wonder if it would be an idea to lay a tarp or some kind of protection on the floor in the area where he sleeps.

I think of the beautiful Ollie often and wonder how he is. Please give him a gentle :thumbsup: from me and a :rofl: for you too.

Hope you are well and happy.

Thanks CnR, that is what I thought it might be - losing the marbles... lol...

Sleep soundly, is actually putting it mildly - I can come in any time of day or night after being out and if he is asleep, he does not even stir.. And the snoring is worse than ever bless him. It is funny, I can turn his snoring off and I don't hear it all...

Will pass on the hugs - being a staffy he is more than happy to accept hugs, pats, belly rubs etc from everyone as often as possible...

Apart from this one issue he has been great. Still loves the walks, the food, the lovin', so I guess he is staying for a while yet..

hey SL and ollie,

Glad to read that the old fellow is ao apart from teh toileting aspect. I too think it could be age related and that he is sleeping so deeply that by the time he wakes he cant hold any longer.

Older dogs ( and peple for that matter ) are more prone to bowel incontinence - the sphincter muscle may have got weakened and total control of defecation is lost, leading to occasional fecal incontinence.

Another possibility is that, some senior dogs suffer from a condition known as "canine cognitive dysfunction" (CCD), which is similar to Alzheimer's disease in people. Common symptoms of CCD include confusion and disorientation. The dog does not know where he is and he may have a bowel movement in the house thinking that he is outside! If you have an older dog who is incontinent and shows symptoms such as lethargy, staring at walls, not noticing family members, etc., he may have CCD. However it does not sound like Ollie has those symptoms. I reckon a chat with one of the holistic vets may help..

sending dearest ollie heaps of special staffy rubs and tickles... and happy happy doggy dreams

hugs

helen

Thanks CnR, that is what I thought it might be - losing the marbles... lol...

Sleep soundly, is actually putting it mildly - I can come in any time of day or night after being out and if he is asleep, he does not even stir.. And the snoring is worse than ever bless him. It is funny, I can turn his snoring off and I don't hear it all...

Will pass on the hugs - being a staffy he is more than happy to accept hugs, pats, belly rubs etc from everyone as often as possible...

Apart from this one issue he has been great. Still loves the walks, the food, the lovin', so I guess he is staying for a while yet..

If Ollie's anything like Faith, no marbles are lost. She's still got it together mentally. I think it's a physical thing and the body doesn't work as efficiently as it used to.

With Faith the leaking while asleep doesn't happen all the time, probably only when her bladder is full because she was too lazy to get off the couch and go outside to pee. She doesn't leak a lot when it happens.

Also like Ollie, Faith has had a few surgeries over the last two years. She has a malignancy and she's still doing well. The vet took large margins but they weren't clean, her tumour was bigger than it looked once the vet went in and he did what could safely be done. She's still happy and loves her walks and her food. She doesn't show any sign of pain.

Gotta love our oldies :winner:

More gentle :) coming your way for Ollie and for you. Belly rubs too but they're for Ollie :)

• 1 month later...

The boy was at the new vet a couple of days ago due to bloody diarrhea and general lethargy - turns out he had a bit of a bowel infection and that is all cleared up now or so it would seem.

This morning around 3am I was woken up to him 'coughing' or 'hacking' - he did throw up a small amount of dinner that was sort of foamy (great breakfast topic hey)... But he keeps doing the hacking thing - he has been doing it since 3am, poor lad, his throat must be sore now.

I will make a vet appointment and get him back down there again today...

He has got bloody kennel cough... I will be buggered if I know how that happened - he does not go to a kennel, he does not associate with other dogs and he is inside most of the time - apart from when he goes for a walk in the morning and some evenings... He is happy to lounge around and sleep most of the time these days.

He has meds for the next week and some cough mixture to help with the cough...

Thanks for the thoughts, I am sure he will be fine.. Poor lad, he really has had enough of being sick - it seems so unfair sometimes.

He has got bloody kennel cough... I will be buggered if I know how that happened - he does not go to a kennel, he does not associate with other dogs and he is inside most of the time - apart from when he goes for a walk in the morning and some evenings... He is happy to lounge around and sleep most of the time these days.

He has meds for the next week and some cough mixture to help with the cough...

Thanks for the thoughts, I am sure he will be fine.. Poor lad, he really has had enough of being sick - it seems so unfair sometimes.

Where do they pick these bugs up from? My Cav has pneumonia and he's never around other dogs. He's always inside a warm house apart from a short walk 2 or 3 times a week. He's recoving from a laminectomy so only short walks if it's not freezing outside He's been on antibotics for a month and was xrayed again yesterday. He's improving but not clear so a/biotics for another month. How the hell did he get pneumonia?

I hope Ollie recovers quickly and without any problems, the poor boy. Give him a gentle hug from me.

Thanks, hugs given and greatly received - he still loves a cuddle...

I have no idea but the vet said he could have picked it up in the park we walk at...

Poor boy was hacking a bit last night but he is curled up asleep on the lounge now.

Hope your little cav improves, poor baby - I hate it when they are sick...

more hugs to my favoutite Ollie dog... get well soonest little manikin!

tummy rubs and warm cuddles from us all up here in chilly Coominya

H

and the maremma crew

PS. bear says an electric blanket on your humans bed makes a lovely snoozing spot dueing a cold day

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Helen, sorry I did not post sooner. He is much better, still a bit of a cough first thing of a morning but mostly he is on the mend.

He is not real fond of the medicine he has to take - can't say as I blame him, it smells bad. One of those 'wild cherry' flavours - man are they wild...

Just a quick update - I went looking for Jesterbelle's thread on Vada and could not find it, so wanted to let everyone know that I got a message to say that Vada is still doing well... Just had to share - it warms my heart to hear when they do well and are enjoying life... Missy (9yo stafford) had a grade 2 tumour removed but is doing OK now on the anti cancer diet...

Just wanted to share the good news.

As for the old man, well he is great. Still cruises the local park every morning like he owns it and is enjoying retirement on the lounge in my office... His hearing is really not so good anymore and he does not hear anyone coming or going and he seems to have lost a lot of his night vision but is OK if I leave the outside light on of a night time (or maybe the big bad stafford is afraid of the dark :laugh: ) His daytime vision seems fine though and he thinks he can see things all the way across the park (even when they are not there :rofl: )...

Cheers

Hi Staffyluv

I just read this post and am interested in this anti cancer diet I have a 12 yr old boxer who had a spindle cell removed last year and similarly could not remove a safe margin as it was in a joint.So far so good the tumour hasnt regrown but I would like to try this diet with him.

Could you please give me some more information.

Mac also picked up kennel cough earlier this year,took me by surprise also I was worried that the cancer had emerged in his lungs so it was good news in a way he got over it fine as will Ollie

Just a quick update - I went looking for Jesterbelle's thread on Vada and could not find it, so wanted to let everyone know that I got a message to say that Vada is still doing well... Just had to share - it warms my heart to hear when they do well and are enjoying life... Missy (9yo stafford) had a grade 2 tumour removed but is doing OK now on the anti cancer diet...

Just wanted to share the good news.

As for the old man, well he is great. Still cruises the local park every morning like he owns it and is enjoying retirement on the lounge in my office... His hearing is really not so good anymore and he does not hear anyone coming or going and he seems to have lost a lot of his night vision but is OK if I leave the outside light on of a night time (or maybe the big bad stafford is afraid of the dark :D ) His daytime vision seems fine though and he thinks he can see things all the way across the park (even when they are not there :) )...

Cheers

Hi Staffyluv

I just read this post and am interested in this anti cancer diet I have a 12 yr old boxer who had a spindle cell removed last year and similarly could not remove a safe margin as it was in a joint.So far so good the tumour hasnt regrown but I would like to try this diet with him.

Could you please give me some more information.

Mac also picked up kennel cough earlier this year,took me by surprise also I was worried that the cancer had emerged in his lungs so it was good news in a way he got over it fine as will Ollie

Hi mac'ella,

Effectively the 'anti cancer diet' is based around removing carbs from the diet but adding other supplements as well. When I say carbs, I don't mean the good stuff like fruit and veges - it is more the white stuff like bread, grains, rice, pasta, sugars etc.. The theory is that carbs feeds cancer...

If you google canine anti cancer diet (I know I have a link here in this thread somewhere but have removed it from my favourites and can't remember the exact one I used)... They are all pretty good as long as they follow the theory of carbs removed or limited. Meat should be cooked too (obviously this means no bones but the occasional treat is OK)...

We also used an holistic vet to help us with the correct supplements for his diet.

Basically Ollie eats:

Meat and veg (beef, chicken, turkey, roo, kidney (occasionally) and venison - with a bit of fish now and again too). Veges consist of anything - he loves sweet potato or pumpkin mixed with zucchini and peas (that has been his favourite for ages) but I do mix it up and give him a bit of roasted eggplant mixed in or carrots as treats. He loves fruit, always has - strawberries, watermelon, apple, pear...\

He also has cottage cheese with about a teaspoon of flax oil (use this sparingly as some dogs don't do well with it), yoghurt is another favourite too...

Good luck with it. Don't forget to make a thread here for your Boxer - I hope the tumour never grows back...

• 3 months later...

Ollie dog and I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and wonderful 2011.

And to thank everyone for still thinking about him and sending good vibes when he is not well from time to time.

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

PS we are 5 years post dxd now and still going!

Ollie dog and I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and wonderful 2011.

And to thank everyone for still thinking about him and sending good vibes when he is not well from time to time.

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

That's fantastic! Well done to both of you!

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

Merry Christmas Jodie and Ollie !!

Its great to hear Ollie is doing well, best wishes for 2011 :thumbsup: