Pug And Bad Teeth

Netti

I dog sat my DIL's pug over the weekend. He is a dear little fellow and we enjoyed having him except for the extremly bad smell coming from his mouth.

I had a look at his teeth and they are either black or very decayed along the gum line. His gums also seemed swollen to me but he wasnt real keen on me looking so I am not so sure about them. At the moment he only eats mince, when he was with me I blended some raw vegies and put it in his mince and he ate it. He wont eat anything hard but I dont blame him as I am sure his teeth and gums would be very sore.

The pug is 7 years old and was purchased as a retired stud dog, he is being desexed tomorrow. My DIL is concerned about his teeth and asked the vet to have a look at them while he is under te anesthetic.

I read up on the subject but I could only find out about prevention of tooth decay, not what to do if they are already bad.

If the teeth need to come out how do you feed a toothless dog, are pugs prone to tooth decay, any suggestions, experiences or information would be appreciated.

Cheers Netti

Any dog is prone to tooth decay but the littlies do seem to suffer a little more. IMO that is mostly due to owners feeding littlies soft food assuming they wouldn't eat kibble or bones. The vet will probably give them a good clean. At that age he *shouldn't* need removal but you never know. If he does lose a few teeth they adapt pretty well and I'm sure they'll have diet tips. I had quite a few little fluffies (foster dogs) that needed a whole load of teeth pulled, but they still managed dry food and the odd cut chicken neck. Otherwise if it's just a clean beg your DIL to start feeding the dog a more sensible diet. ie- quality kibble and bones (under supervision).

efs

Edited by Clyde

My DIL is trying to everything in his best interests, I can't beleive that a breeder would sell a dog with such dental probelms.

The breeder who has had him for the 7 years obviously neglected the poor little darlings dental hygene.

I did give him a chicken neck which he loved but had trouble chewing it, he kind of gummed it to mush and then swallowed it.

As Pugs are a little risky under anestheatic I would ask the Vet to do the dental work while he is being desexed. It will save putting him under again at another time.

I recently had a 7 year old bitch have some dentistry work done. They removed approximately 3 teeth and cleaned the rest up. She also had bad breath but it is great now.

Some really good advice here.

Our 2 little ones have had mixed fortunes ....

I girl has had many teeth out - she is now 11 .. she still chomps up her food , but sometimes I will chop her food a little smaller.....

Our other girl still has all her teeth - she is 5

We give chicken necks to chew , as well as dry food

I also clean their teeth daily and they have regular dentals.

I guess dogs are like people .. some have more problems with teeth than others ...

Best thing to do is take him to the vet for a check up - but Puggles has good advice ..... best to do it at the time of desexing to avoid an excess of anestheatic...

I am sure the little man will be feeling a million dollars in no time - with a happy , healthy puggy smile !!!! :laugh:

Desex and a full dental at the same time.

When he's recovered from the op and his mouth is no longer tender ( assuming that that may remove teeth ), he can have chicken wings, chicken necks and other raw meaty bones. Supervise while he eats them and take them off him if he stops chewing and hansn't finished.

Thanks for your replies.

He was desexed and had all but eight teeth removed. Poor little darling.

The vet also found a strange lump with his testicles which was removed and sent for testing. When my DIL contacted the breeder she said that when he was young he had an undesended testicle and because they wanted to show him he had an op to anchor it (my words not the breeder). The breeder had no explanation about his teeth.

Just as well the family love him as he has cost them over $1000 so far and he is seven years old!!!!!!! :laugh: The vet was disgusted with the breeder in that she allowed a stud dog to get in such a state and then to sell him. Vet said that he would have been in considerable pain with the condition of his teeth.

Just proves that not all breeders are reputable.

Anyway he is now vey happy, pain free and in a loving home.

Netti

Poor little man. I am rather disgusted that the breeder didn't desex the dog before it was rehomed. All the breeders I know desex before rehoming and the new owner usually just pays for the desexing cost. Mmm dodgy breeder for not desexing and also tacking down the testicle.

Pugs are prone to getting rotting teeth and gums because they have such squashed little mouths and still the full amount of teeth to fit into them.

My girl pug, nearly 5 years old, had her teeth cleaned and 3 taken out last year. She has a tiny mouth and gets feed the same stuff as my boy pug. He has no teeth problems. So it really depends on the dog.

Glad to hear your DIL is taking good care of him.

I think she did the right thing having his teeth done under anaesthetic and not friggin about.

Mince would tend to stick to teeth, promoting decay?

My 7 year old mini poodle has good teeth- dry dog food (nothing special) + regular bones (to chew as well as brisket, chicken necks etc. which are all gone quickly).

Interesting.. I saw a poodle in the showring last weekend - was only 18 months old, but already teeth looked worse than my 7 year old's- back ones looking discoloured :laugh:.

Am sure the pug people can give you good diet advice :(