• My dog/s are territorial & bully the new dog
    • There are initial problems but nothing serious & they settled down
    • I have never tried this
    • It would be a disaster & I wouldn't do it
    • So long as there is no resource to guard everything is cool
    • My dog is scared & will not interact
    • My dogs shows initial interest, but quickly resumes normal life
    • My dog/s is much more interested in the person than the new dog

Just out of curiosity, how do/would your dogs react?

Of course I realise that a lot depends on the dog you are bringing in as well, so for the poll, let's assume a well mannered dog coming in, who is happy & not out to create problems.

I'm pretty proud of my lot. Lately we have had a lot of strange dogs coming over, puppies, adolescents & older dogs. 5 or 6 years ago, this would have been something I had to manage carefully and now it just seems like an everyday thing for them. Having 4 dogs, I generally try to introduce 2 at a time, since 4 curious dogs can be a bit much for newcomers.

Edited by Vickie

I've only voted once. I've never had any serious problems but one of mine is far less friendly than the others. Unless the dog is small or well known, none of mine are likely to play but we have new dogs visiting all the time.

I think 20 something dogs in my back yard is a PB. :offtopic:

I've only voted once. I've never had any serious problems but one of mine is far less friendly than the others. Unless the dog is small or well known, none of mine are likely to play but we have new dogs visiting all the time.

I think 20 something dogs in my back yard is a PB. :rofl:

20? :rofl:

:offtopic: I don't thik 20 would actually fit in my yard :rofl: . I think our PB is about 11 or 12.

I keep thinking of new options. The last one is particularly appropriate for my girls...stuff the dog...a new person to love me!

My girl has no real interest in other dogs or people, but we do have to be careful there is no food to guard. Toys etc aren't a problem.

My boy will play happily, but we have to watch as he 'owns' the toys and won't be bullied. The couple of play dates we've had have been really good for him.

I think 20 something dogs in my back yard is a PB. :rofl:

20? :rofl:

:offtopic: I don't thik 20 would actually fit in my yard :rofl: . I think our PB is about 11 or 12.

I keep thinking of new options. The last one is particularly appropriate for my girls...stuff the dog...a new person to love me!

On doggie chiro nights at my place, we usually have at least 10 dogs .. often inside. My dogs are all over any new person.. Lily almost has to be peeled off.

I haven't voted yet - I think mine would respond differently.

I have done it twice - once bringing the old family dog who they barked at and bullied a bit, the other time over xmas someone housesat and brought her dogs.

Diesel eventually became good friends with her Jap Spitz and they were together in the house when I got home! Zoe is dog aggro so I never trust her, though she accidentally got loose with housesitters elderly dog and apparently was OK. Kaos I was told barked at her younger dog from behind the fence and she didn't think they would get along. But when I got home we took them out front and then back together on lead and they ignored each other. Not friends but they didn't want to eat each other.

So I didn't know how to vote! Generally I don't do it as I am worried how they will react. I probably worry too much!

I voted twice - both dogs love other dogs and will play with intruders. Bella will guard resources with a dominant bitch.

The gate between my yard and the neighbours fell open one day and I found all four dogs running around playing tag. :offtopic: They'd never played together before.

I've had 2 strange dogs come in recently and my boy is not generally very good with strange dogs.

The first (female greyhound) was introduced in the house. He pushed her around a bit and didn't handle any crowding at all well. There was also some resource aggression when the other dog found a cat toy (I could have sworn I picked up all the bloody toys!).

After a bit he calmed down, but he really wasn't interested in the dog and didn't know what to do with her even after a couple of hours.

I learned from the first, so the next dog (female border collie) was introduced in the street out the front of the house, then they went for a walk together for half an hour or so. When they came back to the house we had no problems at all, although he took over an hour to become interested in playing with her. I didn't test toys with them, but I get the feeling he would have happily shared a tennis ball with her.

In the future all new doggy intros will be done the same as the second dog.

Edited by jaybeece

Entire adult unknown male, I wouldn't do it (I have four entire males). Females, desexed males, known entire males, puppy entire males assuming all are "a well mannered dog" no problems. My dogs will either ignore or want to play.

With the fosters who have come thru the house my dogs have been great. My westies always show interest at first and then resume normal life. Sometimes they engage in play. My BC x Britt generally engages in play when a dog comes to my place - he's young so loves a good play with another dog. However, outside the home - for some reason - not always so - but we will get there!

Vinnie and Cooper are initially jumping around and sniffing madly for a few minutes then resume what they were doing prior as if they were not there. (this is only if I bring the dog into the house. would be completely different if it just wandered in itself)

It would probably be a disaster. :wave:

My dog is too dog aggressive to make it worth the risk. (Although he displays aggressive behaviour far less often than when I first adopted him, and although I'm now way better at reading his body language and anticipating what he's going to do, it's still true that he's capable of quickly doing serious damage to another dog.)

The only times I have had other dogs in the home, we've had a strict "crate and rotate" regime in place. Even with my dog's one doggy friend, they're never never left alone unsupervised.

It's not a problem for me. I know my dog's boundaries, and I've arranged his life so that everyone is kept safe.

Edited by Amhailte

I have 4 lab bitches and 1 lab dog. The girls are all fine, with strange dogs, a quick sniff and then friends. My boy on the other hand, who is only young, feels a bit threatened. So we introduce him to other dogs on leads (both of them) and within a few minutes he is fine. Then we can let them off and they play.