My Molly Ate Rat Poison

mixy

I've just come home from a 2 week holiday and brought home my pooches from their holiday at the kennels. We've had a rat problem for a while so my dad took this opportunity to put out baits and get rid of the suckers while the dogs were away. There was a careful checking of the back yard on our return to get rid of all the baits and such, but it seems not careful enough. I found my Molly chewing on the box and had to rush her to the vet along with Millie who was nearby and could have also eaten some. Poor things :(. Millie is in the clear but Molly had blue bits in her vomit so she's going back for blood tests tomorrow. I'm really annoyed for such a careless thing to have happened.

Not yet, she said they would wait until they get the blood results back. I took her to the vet immediately so she said there probably wouldn't have been time for it to be absorbed into her system.

Yeh I was wondering why she wouldn't just start her on it anyway. I don't normally go to her, but my usual vet was in surgery so he couldn't see her. I might give her a call and ask her about it.

Very pleased to hear molly is ok its leathal stuff!! a friend of mines dogs were baited with rat sack not so long ago 1 died the other was sooooo sick & hospitalized for days; it was touch & go for a while & he was on treatment for weeks after!!!IT should be banned!!

Guest Panterka

Sorry for my ignorance, but could someone briefly explain the benefit of Vit K in such situations?

Also, I thought that it was one of the non-soluble vitamins (i.e. those that get retained in the system and can "build up"), and you should be careful with dosage? But that's in humans...

I'm by no means expert in these things, but as I understand it Vit K is crucial in blood clotting, it's presence is necessary to activate clotting. I think the rat poisons which work by causing internal bleeding, like warfarin, do so by reducing the body's ability to make stored Vit K available for these processes. The common antidote for people and animals is to administer Vit K.

I imagine an excess of Vit K is possible, but it doesn't seem to have the same risk profile or consequences as overdoses of the other fat soluble vitamins. Happy to be contradicted if anyone knows more.