Why Is My Gsd Being A Turd?

Hi I need help!

My 8.5 month old GSD puppy is being a shit. She is terrible at Training (ADT twice weekly) and pulls the whole time towards other dogs and we cant get her attention at all. This is the main problem but this morning she did something unusual.

She is very well toilet trained, and has never had any accidents even pooping where we trained her to and but this morning she peed on the rug inside while she was looking at me, to which I growled, said 'NO' and led her outside and left her for 20 mins where she remained very quiet (normally cries when outside while we're inside)...

Im sure shes just doing this as a test being at 'that' age but my husband and I are now suffering bruised wrists/fingers from corrections which seem to go un-noticed when others dogs are around.. Im worried we will never be able to have her off lead and actually come back to us when we call if she wont do it now, Is this the case? Maybe were just not that exciting, we have tried using food as a reward but shes so smart that if she does a recall and doesnt smell food shes off again... I should add we have tried a halti but she drops and wont walk with it on, she gets walked twice daily and fed twice daily... Weve tried the TOT but it wasnt working so now one of us gives her commands before feeding her while the other jumps around with a squeeky toy... is this sending mixed messages?

Please help!

Oh and we have her booked in to get fixed in 2 weeks time, hoping she wont have a season before then but the breeder says 10-12months....

Edited by charli73

Have you approached the behaviourist or instructors at ADT?

We go to 2 centres and they have said to bring the correction chain up higher around her neck to under her ears, and to just swap direction or go back home when we she pulls. This doesnt really help when were at training around other dogs though... The weeing thing I havent asked about. Most of the time they suggest the usual things none of which are working.... Weve had one behaviouralist out but that was when she was 5 months and displaying semi separation anxiety behaviour, we were told were being too soft and she gave us heaps of good advice... it helps when were at home where she is generally great (apart from rug incident this morning) but again when shes surrounded by masses of dogs at training she just refuses to settle down... We walk her before training too ( but then if too tired out just constantly drops and wont get up) and dont feed her before training.. pulling my hair out.

Do you have her complete attention at home? i.e do you train using food in the backyard and have a 100% reliable recall, sit, drop or whatever? Is she comletely focused on you during training when you are in the backyard? I would suggest having some private lessons at home with her first, and build up to trying to train under heavy distraction (Which is what being around a whole lot of other dogs would be!) What area are you in? Erny, on the forum is excellent, I have had several private lessons with her which helped immensely :D Sounds like she is starting the teenage era of testing you out, but until she's 100% reliable at home where you can bring in distraction gradually, you wll probably get absolutely nothing out of taking her to a training club (My last 3 dogs were GSD's and I had no luck with them at all until I switched to private lessons for about 6 months before I took them out!)

I would suggest a couple of one on one private lessons. Personally, I didn't find group training helpful at all and went the way of a private trainer. The difference in my dog after only one lesson was fantastic.

As for the peeing, I'd watch carefully, she may have a UTI. This is exactly what my young dog did when she was fully house trained. A trip to the vet confirmed a UTI.

Sometimes bitches that are getting ready to come into season will change their toileting habits and a previously perfectly house trained dog may suddenly decide to pee inside, mine don't do it, but I know of those that do. Although large breeds usually have their first season later than small breeds there are no guarantees, most of my bitches come in at around 1 year, but I've also owned a bitch that started at 7 months and one that didn't come in until she was 15 months. You can even get variation among bitches from the same litter. I suppose that one could make a general observation that the majority of bitches tend to have their first season at around the same time as their dam did, but that isn't always the case and you certainly can't rely on it, like people all bitches are different.

What are her favourite things? Does she really like food, squeaky toys, tug, pats?

My GSD is also a socialite and would rather play with other dogs than train! :rofl:

Until you get a reliable recall I would keep her on lead (you can get a long lead to still allow her to explore). Diesel is fine at training and on walks, but once he gets running with other dogs he doesn't come back reliably, so if we are around a lot of other dogs he is on lead.

Maybe you could try not giving her the morning meal the day you go to training so she is more hungry if you are using food for training?

I dont correct dogs with correction chains up under their chin - NEVER give a hard check unless you want to hurt her throat. Dominant dog collars are made for that area NOT chains.

She could be coming into season and hence she's changing but if she has been a little more difficult to train then 1 on 1 help is better at home.

Do you have her complete attention at home? i.e do you train using food in the backyard and have a 100% reliable recall, sit, drop or whatever? Is she comletely focused on you during training when you are in the backyard? I would suggest having some private lessons at home with her first, and build up to trying to train under heavy distraction (Which is what being around a whole lot of other dogs would be!) What area are you in? Erny, on the forum is excellent, I have had several private lessons with her which helped immensely :rofl: Sounds like she is starting the teenage era of testing you out, but until she's 100% reliable at home where you can bring in distraction gradually, you wll probably get absolutely nothing out of taking her to a training club (My last 3 dogs were GSD's and I had no luck with them at all until I switched to private lessons for about 6 months before I took them out!)

Hi RB,

her recalls in the park with food on leed were great intil a while ago, she even sits in front, but at training she runs circles around us, fly bys etc.. I will never let hre off lead until shes perfect with recalls and we have along lead also.. I think some private lessons may be the go...

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions, I think some one on one lessons may be the go, although I am worried she may be hormonal coming into her first season.. Does that mean she will stay like this if we get her fixed shorly?????

Will get onto Erny.... Hubby and I are on leave next week and were taking her to the beach for few days, I think it will do us all the world of good!

Im sure shes just doing this as a test being at 'that' age but my husband and I are now suffering bruised wrists/fingers from corrections which seem to go un-noticed when others dogs are around.. Im worried we will never be able to have her off lead and actually come back to us when we call if she wont do it now, Is this the case? Maybe were just not that exciting, we have tried using food as a reward but shes so smart that if she does a recall and doesnt smell food shes off again... I should add we have tried a halti but she drops and wont walk with it on, she gets walked twice daily and fed twice daily... Weve tried the TOT but it wasnt working so now one of us gives her commands before feeding her while the other jumps around with a squeeky toy... is this sending mixed messages?

I think you're probably sending mixed messages but it isn't to do with the squeaky.

If something isn't working, stop doing it - whether it's food or corrections. All you're doing by attempting ineffective reinforcement is teaching the dog that you're an optional extra.

Personally I'd backchain in this situation rather than making it a battle of wills. Slice up the tasks you're asking her to do into more managable bits so she can succeed, and let her know when she's done the right thing more often, or at least as often, as you tell her she's done the wrong thing.

Re seasons, "the age" or "fear periods" or whatever - there are many excuses we create for ourselves to explain why our dog has suddenly and inexplicably become a pain in the arse. Usually it's the human element, not the dog. Either we've been frosty with our spouse, or working long hours, or stressed out about a family issue, or whatever. How you are affects how your dog is.