Bark Busters?

Has anyone tried Bark Busters? And what were your experiences? Were they expensive? When they talk about using the dog's language, does that mean I have to bark at my dog (the neighbours already think I'm weird).

I haven't used them and I wouldn't use them :rofl:

They don't have a very good reputation. They are a franchise so you might get some good trainers, but overall I would not recommend.

Has anyone tried Bark Busters? And what were your experiences? Were they expensive? When they talk about using the dog's language, does that mean I have to bark at my dog (the neighbours already think I'm weird).

I wouldn't use them either.

IncrediJack you seem to go from one extreme to another. Maybe we should start from the beginning:

- what specific problems do you have with your dog?

- is he pulling, barking, digging, destroying stuff?

Maybe we can help you how to deal with this rather then send you or your dog to a boot camp :rofl: ?

I haven't tried bark busters, but just wanted to warn you that they are a franchise. So even if one person here has had a good (or bad) experience with them, the people who run the franchise in your area might be completely different. Just FYI.

I have read the barkbusters manual, and was unimpressed. From what I remember, it mostly involved establishing dominance over your dog by making him follow certain rules around the house, and then punishing your dog when he performs undesirable behaviour (for example by saying "BAH", throwing "squeaky pillows" at him, or spraying water in his face).

I do know that you don't actually need any experience of dog training to buy a Bark Buster's franchise, though. Apparently they put you through an in-house training course. So that alone would set my alarm bells ringing. :rofl:

But like I say, they are a franchise, so it's possible that some people that work for Bark Busters are really experienced and really good.

I wouldn't use them either.

IncrediJack you seem to go from one extreme to another. Maybe we should start from the beginning:

- what specific problems do you have with your dog?

- is he pulling, barking, digging, destroying stuff?

Maybe we can help you how to deal with this rather then send you or your dog to a boot camp :rofl: ?

Thanks Laffi. My problems are barking, digging, and mouthing. I have tried more than several methods recommended to me by preschool and training guides, but I am really seeking a professional to see/understand my dog first-handedly and help us.

You have a 4 month old pup right?

Unless you are having serious problems with your pup (where a qualified behaviourist would be useful), if you are looking for obedience work with your dog, why not try a local obedience club?

I can't remember if you said where you are in the other thread, but if you do someone can let you know of a good place, and they are cheaper than boarding/training or a franchise like Bark Busters. Good ones also use more positive techniques and show you how to communicate and train your dog.

Where are you based? There are some excellent professionals on this forum....I'm sure a recommendation could be given :rofl:

As for BB - I've heard nothing positive about them (apart from the previous post by ruthless).

Okay, no to Bark Busters. I'm on the Gold Coast.

A four month old puppy is just doing what comes naturally..exploring/challenging his world!

Unfortunately for him, human rules of engagement are different to canine ones :rofl:

YOU need to acquire the knowledge to communicate this to him... not just the ability to effectively 'correct' him or to physically control him :)

Your idea of someone visiting is an excellent one.... we just have to find the most suitable 'some-one'

Guess it is hard for you to spend time alone with the pup..as you have young kids?

If you are having problems with your dog I suggest that you PM Erny or K9 Force on this forum and ask them to recommend someone in your area, both Erny and K9 Force have impeccable reputations and you can have full confidence in any information they provide.

I don't know how old your dog is, but I don't think you've had him very long (might be wrong here)? Perhaps you're just expecting too much too soon. Do you attend an obedience club with your dog?

What you need is someone to train you how to train your dog which is one of the reasons why sending the dog away isn't a good option IMO, especially when you don't know what methods they will use or how experienced they are themselves. No dog can be trained in one week, there are no quick fixes, you just have to do the work and it does take time.

Thanks Laffi. My problems are barking, digging, and mouthing. I have tried more than several methods recommended to me by preschool and training guides, but I am really seeking a professional to see/understand my dog first-handedly and help us.

What breed is your dog?

What did you try?

Do you walk him (or her?)

Do you train?

Do you give him things that can keep him busy (like stuffed kongs or bones)?

Your puppy is only 4mo, I totally agree with Kavik, it's too early for the hardcore solutions (like the ones you mentionned on both threads).

What breed do you have?

golden retriever

When does your pup exhibit these behaviours?

mouths the kids all the time, barks during our mealtimes and when he's outside, digs when he's left outside

What have you tried so far to remedy the problems?

Mouthing--putting toys in his mouth, keeping him on a lead so that I can control him, grabbing the skin at the back of his neck and saying a firm "No Biting."

Digging-- offering kongs and bones to occupy him, filling holes with vinegar, poo, or bricks, offering him one area he is allowed to dog, which is just a pot from an old pot plant, crate training-- he is happy in his crate at night but barks if left there in the day, so I have been locking him in the bathroom with his crate, water, and toys when I'm out of the house

Barking-- I exercise him and train him and try to take control as the pack leader by not allowing him on the furniture and feeding him after we eat, food reward if he stops barking at "Enough! Quiet!"

How do your kids act around the dog? Running, screaming, rough play excites puppies and excitement often leads to mouthing. So I would suggest having the kids be calm around the pup, and try to have the pup calm around the kids. That probably means keeping the pup on lead around them. A good recall will be invaluable here too for when you take the lead off as you can call your pup to you before things get out of hand. Also depending on the ages of the kids they might be able to do some training - ask for a sit for example, for a treat, then the pup learns to listen to them and learns that sitting not mouthing gets rewarded.

ETA: remember to reward calm behaviour, when your pup is lying quietly around the kids. Maybe also teach 'on your mat' - for your dog to go to a mat/bed and lie quietly on command.

Edited by Kavik

What breed is your dog?

What did you try?

Do you walk him (or her?)

Do you train?

Do you give him things that can keep him busy (like stuffed kongs or bones)?

Your puppy is only 4mo, I totally agree with Kavik, it's too early for the hardcore solutions (like the ones you mentionned on both threads).

It is a lot to expect from a four-month old. This all started at seeing my friend's new perfect dog come back from that boot camp, but I don't feel right about the choke chain. As far as normal puppy problems, chewing and digging are a nuisance but bearable. I know he will eventually learn. But the mouthing has to stop. And the barking has gotten really bad. We're going away for a weekend next month. He's staying with the in-laws and I'm worried he is going to bark the whole time. Barking and mouthing are problems I need sorted now.

And I do take him to training, and love it. It's good for teaching commands but hasn't helped much with the problem-stuff.

I have a golden retriever too and I have to say that the stages 4-6 months and then 9-12months were the hardest. She is very independant and can be quite naughty. I think you should persevere with your training, exercises and kong/bones. They do get better :D. You have to remember that retrievers (labs or goldens) are very boisterous little terrors. They mature into beautiful dogs though.

I find that be best way to stimulate my dogs is clicker training (tricks, obedience, agility, flyball... whatever you want). We train everyday for about 5 min. But after that they go straight to sleep LOL.

ETA At 4 months he is teething. He needs a lot of bones! Laffi was mouthing too. We would just say "no" and ignore her (by that I mean just walk away from her, don't look at her). It worked very well for us. But I do realize that it might not work for everybody.

Edited by laffi

What about having a chat to Ann Bulke - at Camp Tailwaggers. She is a goldie breeder and is sure to be able to provide guidance. I am not sure where on the Gold Coast you are but she has started a club each Sat at her property. I can send you a weblink otherwise just google Camp Tailwaggers.