Skin Issues

rizenstar

Hi Everyone,

I am needing some help/advice with our young Amstaff boy, he is just under 6mths of age and is losing his hair around his flank and stifle - its seems to be very even and not patchy. He is red raw on his belly and under arms from rubbing his belly on our grass and on our carpet and I am getting sick of getting up him for scratching. He seems to have gotten worse when we gave him his final vacc and we have been told by some other exhibitors that it is caused by the vaccine and there is nothing we can do about it :rofl: I have asked our vet about it and they say that it would have nothing to do with the vacc and that it is more than likely food allergies, so we cut him back and started him again with individual foods and it has made absolutley no difference. They have not done a skin scraping as they are sure that it is not any type of mange, they have sold me that many different shampoos and spot - ons since it first flared up, its not funny.

If anyone can maybe shed some light on this subject for me, i'd really appreciate it. :(

Did your vet not prescribe any anti histamines or steroids to help the dog?

Are you having him allergy-tested?

My only tip would be to dose him on low/no acid Vit C powder... couple of teaspoons a day..and keep him away from the lawn/carpet/ laundry detergents.

Get him clean cotton sheets(double rinsed) to sit on..and don't let him RUB on the lawn :( Wash him in the soap/shampoo with the LEAST number of ingredients :rofl: he doesn't need extra chemicals in his system atm....

I would be asking the vet for something to relieve the itch/inflammation...

Hi Poodlefan, We feed all of our guys(both AST & SBT) on a diet of raw mince, cooked rice & pasta and raw veg - we're not big on feeding dry but the do receive about 1/2 cup once a day. I will definitely look up their posts :rofl:

Hi Persephone, Im confinced our vet doesn't care :rofl: I've asked on quite a few occasions different things about how we can help Luca(our boy) and they just keep telling us to continue on with what they have sold us(shampoos etc) and monitering his diet, they reckon if we give antihistmines, cortizone(can't spell lol) etc that it will just mask his problem :rofl: I feel so sorry for him and am seriously at my wits end with our vet. I will go and chnage his bedding right now - he has a wool mat. Thank you so much for your advice :(

Rizenstar, the first thing I'd do is eliminate wheat from your dogs diet. It's such a common allergen, I'd be taking it out straight away. I'd also be looking at boosting the Omega oils in your dog's diet.

The next thing I'd do would be to track down a decent holistic vet and work through some alternative solutions for the skin problem. Skin issues are bread and butter stuff for holistic vets and they get some good results. Steroids really aren't a viable long term solution I'm afraid - too many side effects, ironically some are skin related.

I expect that long term, you'll have more success treating this internally, rather than externally. Allergies are often symptoms of a depressed immune system. Additives like Vitamin C and E can help that.

Edited by poodlefan

Pasta is the worse product for causing allergies,

Do you feed beef??If you do this is causes many skin issues in dogs

What dry do you use???

I would consider feeding kangaroo & veges for atleast 6 weeks with no other treats that could also contribute

Hi Settrlrv,

The meat we feed is a combination of beef and chicken, I have found that when we have fed roo to our Staffords in the past it seemed to strip weight of them and make them really toned - if that makes sense? I was worried feeding it to our pup would be a bit too much for him, we also kept his sister from our litter and she seems fine - Luca only seemed to get bad about a week after his final vacc :(

Should we stop feeding him rice aswell?

ETA: We feed Purina Puppy food (I'm not a big fan of feeding soley dry though) so they only get a small amount a day, along with their wet food.

Edited by rizenstar

Yepp cut out the pasta..and the rice :rofl: Lots of fresh raw meaty bones instead... and some veg.

It is a shame about the vets not wanting to give antihistamines... yes it will 'mask' the condition...perhaps..but it will also make the poor dog more comfortable, stop him causing any more damage to his skin ( maybe breaking it and letting in bacteria) and make YOU feel that you are helping.

Not all the time..but just to give you some breathing space....

Honestly ..I think that is almost being negligent... in tha they are not relieving his pain/discomfort :(

High doses of Vit C will maybe help reduce the inflammation/itch. I used to get my boy Mitchell injections of it..and it did help for a while...

Ideally, I'd say yes. However, try wheat first. My dogs don't get any cereals but that's hard to do if you still feed some dry. I'd be definitely switching to a rice based kibble though.

Do you have a particular one in mind? And do you feed it on its own - no meat?

It's very worthwhile doing skin scrapings just in case it's demodex, and find a new Vet. A Vet that won't give your dog a cortisone shot and some tablets in the interim is not worth your money or time. If he continues to scratch himself red raw he will end up with deep skin infections as well.

Where in QLD are you? Some members might be able to suggest a Vet. Not sure if you're in Brissy but Powderpuff on this forum has a great Vet who will help you out or can refer you on to a Dermatology Vet if you need.

Mel. :(

Ideally, I'd say yes. However, try wheat first. My dogs don't get any cereals but that's hard to do if you still feed some dry. I'd be definitely switching to a rice based kibble though.

Do you have a particular one in mind? And do you feed it on its own - no meat?

I'm a raw feeder Rizenstar - don't feed any kibble at all. However most of the premium ranges do an allergy one that's rice based. I believe Eagle Pack? does one but others will have suggestions.

Rizenstar, the first thing I'd do is eliminate wheat from your dogs diet. It's such a common allergen, I'd be taking it out straight away. I'd also be looking at boosting the Omega oils in your dog's diet.

The next thing I'd do would be to track down a decent holistic vet and work through some alternative solutions for the skin problem. Skin issues are bread and butter stuff for holistic vets and they get some good results. Steroids really aren't a viable long term solution I'm afraid - too many side effects, ironically some are skin related.

I expect that long term, you'll have more success treating this internally, rather than externally. Allergies are often symptoms of a depressed immune system. Additives like Vitamin C and E can help that.

I had not thought of vit c & e!

Rizenstar - I too have been at my wits end and appreciate what you are going through - Goldie here. I have my boy on EP holistic duck formula, but am going to change him or orijen as it has no grains at all, i am changing from tabs of oils soon to Mega oil soon (health food shop sell it) and I have him on zinc and kelp daily, plus wash him in EPO shampoo weekly.

Have started him on homeopathic therapy through a homeopathic vet and will let you know how we are travelling after our second visit on the 8th of March. See the solution he made up for Benson has increased his itchiness, but he said that is quite normal as the cortisone and antihistamines have covered the allergies and suppressed the immune system for some time. Sorry I am not the best at explaining how he said it but I certain;y have seen his energy levels increase and he said that would occur so I am being quitely optomistic about the doc actually repairing his immune system!

Yepp cut out the pasta..and the rice :rofl: Lots of fresh raw meaty bones instead... and some veg.

It is a shame about the vets not wanting to give antihistamines... yes it will 'mask' the condition...perhaps..but it will also make the poor dog more comfortable, stop him causing any more damage to his skin ( maybe breaking it and letting in bacteria) and make YOU feel that you are helping.

Not all the time..but just to give you some breathing space....

Honestly ..I think that is almost being negligent... in tha they are not relieving his pain/discomfort :rofl:

High doses of Vit C will maybe help reduce the inflammation/itch. I used to get my boy Mitchell injections of it..and it did help for a while...

The vet we used to use at the surgery has had a baby recently and we really felt obligated to use them after she went on maternity leave, the new vet is only young and doesn't seem to listen to what we have to say. I've told her that the diet watching wasn't making any difference to him and she just said to keep monitoring his intake :( We have been looking for new vet but we're worried that we will just have to go through the same stuff again with them. I thought it may have been a mange as he was losing hair but they said that it was too generalized and not in the right place to be demodex or scaropitc. Time for new vet I think, as scary as that is, Im sick of going around in circles.

It's very worthwhile doing skin scrapings just in case it's demodex, and find a new Vet. A Vet that won't give your dog a cortisone shot and some tablets in the interim is not worth your money or time. If he continues to scratch himself red raw he will end up with deep skin infections as well.

Where in QLD are you? Some members might be able to suggest a Vet. Not sure if you're in Brissy but Powderpuff on this forum has a great Vet who will help you out or can refer you on to a Dermatology Vet if you need.

Mel. :(

Yep we are South of Brissy, we have just moved but we're still traveling back to the old vet as Im a bit wary of new vets - if you know what I mean, fear of the unknown I guess