Prong Collars - Q&a

How would you respond to these questions: (my response is under each question)

legalities

Were you aware the use of this type of collar is illegal in some places and banned from use in many others?

I am aware this collar is illegal to use in Victoria, but not illegal to own.

I won't sell it to a Victorian.

(I really would though.)

collar

THIS COLLAR SHOULD BE PUT ROUND YOUR NECK NOT A DOG OR MAYBE YOU ARE A DOG

I wouldn't use this collar if it caused harm.

The prong collar causes less harm than most other conventional training aids.

A prong collar works by pinching the skin around the neck, the tips are blunt. The dog is taught not to pull it and the corrections are short and sharp.

I suggest you do some reading on studies that have been published in reputable journals on the harmful effects of other collars (head haltis, flats) vrs prongs.

I'd never walk my dog on anything other than a prong collar. My dog does not pull on lead with one, but will when using a conventional collar which can cause spinal injuries.

Would you prefer I subject my dog to long term health issues or short term pain?

Now go back to owning your ducks or whatever it is you own, you clearly have no experience using prong collars.

re collar

why are you selling this when it can harm an animal?

Conventional flat collars are more likely to harm an animal.

Blame the idiot who abuses the tool, don't blame the tool. I certainly don't want knives banned because some people use them as weapons - that is unreasonable.

dog collar

Hi

Did you know you a selling an item that is illegal to sell in AUSTRALIA...this is a cruel and dangerous method of so called training, and 1 for 1 cant believe you even have a bid...

Did you know this item is 100% legal to sell in all Australian states except Victoria?

Can you please point me to some peer reviewed studies on the dangers of training with a prong collar as I can certainly point you to some on the dangers of using these so called "safe" methods - head haltis? Please, give me a break.

-------------------

Whats the best way to answer these complaints? Ignore them or attempt to educate?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was selling or promoting them I'd pre-empt the questions by providing as much information as I could on my website, including links to studies, testimonials, legislations regarding etc. Then if people asked questions I could direct them to read the information and look at the FACTS, rather than get drawn into trolling :laugh:

I guess it's a judgement call on who is honestly asking and who is just being deliberately antagonistic. Either way my response would be much the same, suggesting that they find resource some factual info (suggest websites etc), but I'd be a lot more inclined to discuss it with the person who was genuine :laugh:

Either way I think it is very important not to get caught up in an argument, keep your answers simple and factual and don't lose your temper or give smart answers to someone who is being unreasonable.

ETA: I would simply ignore people who send you comments like the second one you quoted.

Edited by haven

I have wanted to get Indie a prong because I thnk its a far better choice than the flat martingale..But I have the same concerns as you with public perception.

What will people say?..I mean even when i correct her with the martingale people look at me like Im a bully lol..Well people who dont bother training thier dogs do anyway.

I know I shldnt worry about what other people think but its something i guess that does look harsh if your not educated on it..!

I cant beleive the comments you have recieved!Wow..

I agree with Haven, Midol.

I'd be inclined to calmly give a few basic facts but also add that they are entitled to their opinion even though it might not be the appropriate place or time to express it. Point them in the direction of a web-site which gives them information that might be helpful to their better understanding of the tool and certainly avoid getting caught up in a conversation that is non-productive and potentially inflaming. If you believe in something and are serious about it being in the best interests of your dog, you don't need to stoop to their level by responding to 'goading' comments. Just keep it factual. It's up to them how much out of it they want to learn, or not.

L&L - put a bandanna over the prong - then no-one will know anyway :( - works for me! And I get heaps of comments on how cute the bandannas are, and people seem less scared of them cause it makes them look cute :laugh:

Maybe PM Midol and have a look at the one he is selling L&L :(

Too late,I already brought it :laugh:

By the way Midol,

I'm guessing the same person also emailed me warning me about them,I didn't reply to them though

BAHAHAHA

DUCKS YOU NEED HELP

DUCKS YOU NEED HELP PUTTING A COLLAR AROUND A DOG WITH SPIKES PUT IT AROUND YOUR NECK AND SEE HOW YOU WOULD FEEL.NO WONDER PEOPLE ON HERE WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU I THINK YOU NEED A GOOD KICKING AND DRAGED WITH THE COLLAR

Sorry. That made me laugh.

As I said in the pm 4paws, sorry for being slow. Oztion and Ebay haven't been letting me login - nfi why, only got back on last night (I wasn't even aware it had sold.)

Edited by Lord Midol

Midol ..... by putting up the unproductive comments, even to laugh at them, is only bringing yourself to that level. The only treatment they deserve is no treatment. In other words, be bigger than they and ignore them.

yep i would have to agree with Erny; Depending on how generous i was feeling i might grace them with an informed response, these would be my comments:

legalities

Were you aware the use of this type of collar is illegal in some places and banned from use in many others?[/b]

The ownership of such a collar is not illegal in any Australian state.

THIS COLLAR SHOULD BE PUT ROUND YOUR NECK NOT A DOG OR MAYBE YOU ARE A DOG

This is not an appropriate forum for a debate about the uses of various training tools.

why are you selling this when it can harm an animal?

If used in the manner intended this tool will never hurt or harm any animal.

Did you know you a selling an item that is illegal to sell in AUSTRALIA...this is a cruel and dangerous method of so called training, and 1 for 1 cant believe you even have a bid...

This item is 100% legal to sell in all but 1 state of Australia. This tool is neither cruel or danagerous when used correctly.

Edited by Akitaowner

• 2 months later...

Hi Skuzy. A lot of misconceptions have been spread in relation to the "Pressure Point Collar" (PPC) or "pinch" or "prong" or "German Training Collar" as they are commonly known. They look dreadful, which is IMO why it is so easy for those opposed to them to convince those who are otherwise aware.

They do look dreadful. I looked them up out of curiosity after about the 50th debate on the US based forum I'm on. I was like, "my goodness! No wonder they're so controversial in some circles!".

I do wish they were more accepted in this country simply because check chains are worse and that seems to be the default. And because a dog can still pull a person over with a check chain and they couldn't with a prong.

They do at least cause the dog discomfort, though, or they wouldn't work.

I'd never walk my dog on anything other than a prong collar. My dog does not pull on lead with one, but will when using a conventional collar which can cause spinal injuries.

Interesting comment. Everything I've read from "experts" points to the prong collar as being a training tool.....a means to an end. A useful tool to train the dog to walk on a loose leash. The same way I used a head halter........the dog doesn't pull, praise him and use positive reinforcement for walking on a loose leash, then gradually reintroduce a flat collar or a chain and eventually ditch the training tool.

This comment tells me there's no training going on here......the prong collar is a permanant solution to the problem.

I love my boys prong collar as since we have had it he is a changed boy to walk and I keep both shoulders in there sockets.

He has never given any indication that it causes him any discomfort and comes running when he hears it. Not something you would expect him to do if it caused any pain or discomfort to him.

I hope to gradually change him back to his flat collar but in the mean time we are enjoying a lot more walks.

I did a lot of reading and had instruction on how to fit the collar before I got it, and Caesar has a much better time on his walks now and we go further and we can go to all sorts of places because I'm not in fear of being pulled over or drag in a direction I don't want to go. This was becoming a saftey issue for him and me.

Edited by Caesars mum