Desexing

Hi all, my name is jess, i have a 22 week old male dobie, Kaiser. i was planning to get him desexed somewhere between 8 and 12 months, but was told by a breeder not to do it till hes 18 months.

what do you dolers think of this, is this a good age?? and does anyone know why i shouldn't get him done earlier.

thanks any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jess + Kaiser

I would desex between 6 and 8 months.

Don't wait till he is 18 months as his hormones will have kicked in and he will be marking everything and wanting to hump everything.

No offence meant, but that's rubbish. I have three entire males here and they don't mark and hump everything, neither do they jump fences to find females, really the myths that go around about entire dogs astound me. I wouldn't desex a large breed male until it was at least a year old especially if you're intending to do dog sports.

Guest Tess32

I'll be doing my puppy at about 12 months or after. I am definitely now waiting till they are physically mature.

I have an entire male 15 month old Dally here and he doesn't hump or lift his leg inside either because he knows the boundaries and hasn't been allowed to form bad habits (he tried humping cushions from a surprisingly young age!) He is a bit of a handful but who's to say he wouldn't be without the hormones coursing through his veins...he was a bolshy bugger the day he came home :confused:

Basically, if you are going to desex him between 6 and 8 months you may as well do it as early as 12 weeks as the studies show there to be no difference. However, the absence of testosterone after desexing delays growth plate closure in the long bones....therefore if you desex prior to growth plate closure you end up with a slightly taller dog (emphasised by less muscle development usually too). Whether this leads to joint problems down the track is a whole other story......there is no conclusive evidence.....probably because there are so many confounding factors, such as nutrition, being overweight, excessive exercise during growth etc etc. So in short, given the choice I would wait until the dog had finished growing before desexing. It comes down to priorities.....so you'll notice that rescue dogs and some pure-breeds (especially those that are 'fashionable') undergo early desexing because the most important thing is that these dogs don't breed.

I hope that helps and hasn't confused the daylights out of you :laugh:

Don't wait till he is 18 months as his hormones will have kicked in and he will be marking everything and wanting to hump everything.

No offence meant, but that's rubbish. I have three entire males here and they don't mark and hump everything, neither do they jump fences to find females, really the myths that go around about entire dogs astound me. I wouldn't desex a large breed male until it was at least a year old especially if you're intending to do dog sports.

No offence taken but my experience with undesexed male pugs and pug x's is that that's what they do. I guess it might be different in different breeds. And I suppose you are less likely to have a Dobe or larger type breed in a group playdate situation, like Pugwood, where it has the chance to be off lead and a chance to try and hump others. I don't believe that undesexed males try to jump fences to find females.

Any undesexed rescue male that I have had here has been a humpa maniac and has felt the need to mark. A month or so after thier desexing they have no humping urges.

I didn't get my boy done till he was 1 and 1/2 years old and he would hump toys and hump any other pug he could find when we went on playdates.

When I go to pug meetups and their is an undesexed male pug they are the ones that are always humping anything they can. Rather annoying and not funny.

I guess another concern of mine is that the longer people leave thier pet dogs to be desexed the less likely thay are to do it and the more likey they are to BYB.

I suppose I am coming from a rescue point of view.

Thanks alot for that everyone, i'll wait untill he's older. he's already started humping, although he started doing that at 12 weeks old :thumbsup:

im not really worried about the running away or peeing everywhere stuff, none of our other male dobes were ever de-sexed and they never did that.

but anyways thanks again.

Jess

No offence taken but my experience with undesexed male pugs and pug x's is that that's what they do. I guess it might be different in different breeds. And I suppose you are less likely to have a Dobe or larger type breed in a group playdate situation, like Pugwood, where it has the chance to be off lead and a chance to try and hump others. I don't believe that undesexed males try to jump fences to find females.

Any undesexed rescue male that I have had here has been a humpa maniac and has felt the need to mark. A month or so after thier desexing they have no humping urges.

I didn't get my boy done till he was 1 and 1/2 years old and he would hump toys and hump any other pug he could find when we went on playdates.

When I go to pug meetups and their is an undesexed male pug they are the ones that are always humping anything they can. Rather annoying and not funny.

I guess another concern of mine is that the longer people leave thier pet dogs to be desexed the less likely thay are to do it and the more likey they are to BYB.

I suppose I am coming from a rescue point of view.

I have a 7mo entire male gsd, he has NEVER humped anything

Hunta was entire until 11months, she NEVER did it either

I got to regular DOL meets that are offlead and none of my dogs has exhibited this type of behaviour

Jessca, listen to your breeders advice, she or he knows their lines best and has the best intentions for her pups

Puggy -puggy - it seems you need to be a little firmer with your dogs to stop that behaviour.

Between 6 and 8 months for a toy breed is perfectly acceptable - after all, they are almost fully grown then anyway :thumbsup:

However a male dobe is entirely different, and won't be physically mature until he is much older - you don't want to desex a large breed dog before physical maturity as the growth plate closures will be altered, thereby changing the skeletal structure of the dog. Chest development will also be affected adversely. Believe me, a narrow chested, overly tall doberman with lessened muscle development is not a good look and can be more prone to accidents when running, turning etc.

Humping is a natural growth stage for male and female puppies - if desexing occurs in the middle of this the dog may never grow out of it. I have seen many more serial humpers that were desexed as puppies than entire dogs.

Having never desexed a male dog in over 30 years I can honestly say that I've never had a humper, and I usually have at least 5 entire males at any given time.

I watched a wonderful seminar on DVD by Christine Zink (a vet and I believe an authority on jumping?? the seminar was on structure and function anyways) and she was quite definite on 13 months as a desexing age - as by this stage the growth plates would be closed - and after dogs are desexed the hormones that would usually close the growth plates are not present thus they stay open longer and you get uneven growth...?? or that is what I remember from it - probs have some facts wrong there - but for a performance dog it basically = less likely to be as sound as the dog kept entire until ALL growth plates close (as they close at diff ages)...

she was very convincing and had a lot of logic behind everything she recommended so I am certainly looking at >13 months as a good age to desex now.

Obv this is in the situation where the owner is responsible enough to keep their dog from having pups before this age.

Bridget

Just curious - did she recommend 13 months for all breeds? I know in my breed that growth still occurs after 13 mths, sometimes even after 18 mths, so if this is a general recommendation it is incorrect.

As for accidental matings, anyone with a male dobermann would be very careful not to let it escape - cars are far more of a risk than it somehow finding an accessible bitch in season that just happens to be big enough for him to actually mate.

PS - if the breeder says 18 mths is the earliest time, listen to her. I actually recommend 18 mths as the earliest time, but ask puppy buyers to consider not desexing males. As a tall, leggy breed they need full musculature - and for that they need testosterone.

Have to agree there - have a 6yr old entire male Boxer here - he's never jumped a fence, gone wandering, or hump anything (although our female desexed alpha female humps him :(:) ) He does mark the fence though - but only because the dog next door does it in the same place :birthday:

-WithEverythingIAm

What about bitches? I have a 14 week old Mini Poodle bitch here who I plan on doing competitive agility with. I was planning on getting her desexed before she is 12 months - I can cope with 1 season but wouldn't really want to have to wait until 18 months and go through 3!!

Trish :laugh:

Please post the link Tyler - my girl is a rescue so was desexed at 7 - 10 months, don't really know how old she is - definitly not mature though - she looks to be an amstaff type x. I hope it won't adversely affect her health.

Puggy -puggy - it seems you need to be a little firmer with your dogs to stop that behaviour.

Sorry but it's not only the pugs that I have had in my care that do the humping I have also witnessed many other pugs belonging to other people that exhibit this behaviour.  My experience is that humpa maniacs will settle down after they have been desexed. Pugs come in all different shapes and sizes depending on the breeding line so I really don't think that desexing at 6 to 8 months makes any difference in their eventual shape and size. The only differnece I have ever noted about pugs that are desexed young compared with pugs that are desexed later in life is that the ones desexed young don't get the donut butt and the big nipples that later in life desexed pugs get. There are certainly no adverse effects on their health.

But anyways I guess it is different for other breeds.

Trishalouise your poodle is a toy breed so obviously doesn't have that much growing to do.  I would get her desexed before she comes into her first season. Less hassel for you and her.

Mmm now people are going to be scared to get their dogs desexed because they think it is going to majorly adversley effect their health.

Having worked at a dog daycare where all the dogs had to be desexed, I can tell you that desexing does not always stop humping! :laugh: As it is behavioural not necessarily sexual. Seriously we had serial humpers and sometimes 3 or more humping each other :eek:

I desexed Zoe before her first season. Diesel at around 8 months, Kaos at around 9 months. Was going to wait with Kaos but he started getting a bit big for his britches and I wanted to curb his problem behaviour earlier rather than later (with training too). One thing I noticed, bitches desexed before their first season and males desexed early (like 8 weeks) have smaller um bits :mad not sure if it makes any difference long term.