Photobucket + Image Quality

ruthless

Does Photobucket affect the colours in an image when you upload to it? I think I just noticed a big difference to my orig pic in Photoshop and the uploaded version. I remember Ripley mentioning it before. Has anyone else experienced it?

First is a snapshot from Photobucket, second from Photoshop.

post-10864-1206243431_thumb.jpg

I've noticed it before as well. Photos just look a little different.

I'll upload 2 to see if you can tell - but I'll upload a dark night shot. This is how I spent last night after taking mum out to dinner somewhere.

Photoshop

post-485-1206339277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley

This is Photobucket hosting site versionof the same shot.

ETA: I can't tell with that shot, it was taken too late at night. :(

ruthless, are you right clicking on the image, saving to your computer and then uploading? Just trying to see how you are uploading them. I uploaded both from my hard drive but one was saved from Photobucket, is there another way you do it? I'm 'challenged' on this sort of stuff.

post-485-1206339387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley

I'm on a mac. I plug the cable into the camera, it opens the camera software and I download all the images onto my hard drive. I go through them and select the ones I want to upload. Uploading directly to Photobucket rarely works for me so I downloaded Flock [after prompted to do so by PB when I got my Pro account] and bulk upload my images through there.

http://www.flock.com/

Next time I'll try the bulk uploader inbuilt in Photobucket to see if there's a difference.

I just tried the bulk uploader in PB and it's the same. I put 2 side by side. The techies there told me to upload at the highest res, but surely that would prevent me from posting my images on bulletin boards :(

Just double check to see that your images are sRGB when you put em up on the net as that's what "most" browsers use. And the colours will look a lot different if you are uploading RGB!

In PS you can change it under the Edit menu at the bottom "change profile" (or something like that). Select srgb and you're good to go.

Not sure if this is the problem but I know when I space that change off my uploaded images look blah.

A lot of image hosting places resize the photos as part of the upload process. Depending on what tool they use to resize, and what quality level they save at will determine the quality you actually see out the other side of the conversion.

You'll notice your two pics are very slightly different dimensions, and also different file sizes - the second/photoshop version being 40k bigger.

I use http://www.filedump.net for posting stuff on forums. It only accepts one file at a time, but its quick and easy to use. And since it just hosts the file, regardless of what it is, it doesnt play with the image quality on the way through.

EDIT: If you want to examine the differences between pre- and post- photobucket, grab the Exif Viewer addon for Firefox. It lets you right click any image and do 'View Exif Data' which is all that hidden stuff saved in a photo, such as quality setting and camera details :rolleyes:

Edited by ~ Andrew ~

The best way is to do the photos in photoshop.

There is a "save for web" option under the file tab. You can save the image as a jpeg, gif etc. Adjust the sizing as well. This allows you to put a larger photo up on the web without dramaticly increasing download time.

The thing I hate the most about photobucket images from people who post them on here is they still take AGES to open, and they take up the WHOLE screen. At least by pinning the thumbnails, it does not take as long to download and the screen is not taken up by huge photos.

I am on broadband here and some of the photos posted still take an age to show up.. Imagine the poor souls still on dial up. I know of a few people who have images turned off because of this reason.

If you reduce the resolution, you will reduce the quality. No way out of it.