Constant Whining

hacky

:( My jrt is 7 1/2 half weeks old and has only been with us for 2 nights. She sleeps in the kitchen area and we,ve blocked off the rest of the house. The first night she was fine but last night she would not have slept a minute, she whined non stop. We didn't want to give her attention by attending to her but eventually gave in at 3am when we let her in our room where she continued whining until we let her on the bed. What do we do? We know we shouldnt let her get her way but we need to sleep. I don't know why she is whining or how to disipline her. HELP!

Hacky.

Why does the pup have to sleep in the kitchen? It is hard to leave Mum & siblings and then be left in a dark cold area with no companionship etc. I use crates in the room I am in so I can reassure or chastise when needed and then move them out as appropriate. My older dogs slept on beds on the floor beside the bed and settled easily and immediately. Either be prepared to rough it out or change what is expected.

An artificial heart available from baby stores as well as a chew safe heat source would help also.

I hope it works out for you soon.

:o My jrt is 7 1/2 half weeks old and has only been with us for 2 nights. She sleeps in the kitchen area and we,ve blocked off the rest of the house. The first night she was fine but last night she would not have slept a minute, she whined non stop. We didn't want to give her attention by attending to her but eventually gave in at 3am when we let her in our room where she continued whining until we let her on the bed. What do we do? We know we shouldnt let her get her way but we need to sleep. I don't know why she is whining or how to disipline her. HELP!

Hacky.

Hi Hacky,

I have just put a post called 'Crating Sucess, Toileting success' which you may want to read - hope it is some encouragement to you.

I can empathise ... our Noodle did the same when we bought her home. Noodle hasn't been in our room (our decision and I realise other DOL's have differing opinions - whatever works for you).

Noodle was in a penned area in the kitchen with the crate inside the pen and the door of the crate jammed open so she could get used to it but get out to toilet. We chose to use absorbant pads in the penned area and as Noodle became more predictable we would also toilet her during the night - usually me taking her out at 11pm, 2am and 4am and again at 6am .. yes, like having a new born baby. Gradually she has become used to going on the same spot outside and as you will read has only had one accident in three weeks. I have also been saying 'Go wee' and she will go now.

Noodle has had the pen taken away and is now only crated at night. The first night of shutting the door on the crate was awful ...sounded like we had cut her throat!! What a noise .. best advice ... do it on the weekend when you don't have to get up for work or anything importnat the next day!! Speaking from experience on this one. Over the next week she would occasionally 'crack it', but it became less frequent. We did use treats in the crate but she would eat them and then start up ... just delayed the inevitable really :( I must admit that a couple of times we crated her for 1.5 hours and went OUT! At least we didn't have to listen .. when we got homw she had been asleep - probably wore herself out and worked out there was little point in her howling.

Inside Noodle is on a long lead tethered to the kitchen drawers ... we spend most of our time in the kitchen area. Noodle can't be trusted in other areas of the house as yet for obvious reasons. At night I will often let her off when the house is quiet and she is quiet and she will often sit by herself or following me around.

Outside Noodle was initially penned (we have two pens ... now that we are not using either I am keeping them in the wings in case I need to pen the washing .. so far so good!!) with a small bed area. Over perhaps 3 weeks we removed the pen and she was able to have full reign of the back yard.

As one of the other forum members has suggested .. try wearing your pup out with games etc. so that 'sleep' comes a little more easily. Having said that I also wonder if Noodle gets a little too tired and becomes a ratty child!! :laugh:

I must admit to being a bit of a 'crate convert' ... as you will see from my post .. she went camping with us last weekend and is now going to her crate of her own volition when she wants to sleep.

Let us know how you are going. Some pictures too would be great (hint hint) :hug:

Hang in there hacky

Guest Nicedoggy

When mine was a puppy I locked her in a crate and made her sleepin there. Gave her toys, a wincheater with my smells on it so she felt me there.I refused to get up to her as it only encourages them.

Keep her in a crate in your bedroom thatll probably work and you can move her out whens he gets bigger.

I also agree with doing this. We brought our new Aussie Terrier puppy home a week ago, & the first night we tried to get her to sleep in her puppy pen in our family room. Well she cried & screamed so much that night that you would have thought someone was trying to murder her! :D The next day we dug Bailey's crate out of the garage & put it in our bed room. To our relief she was much more calmer & only cried a little bit before going to sleep. Now she is sleeping all through the night with no problems, only waking up a couple times a night to go to the toilet. Our other 2 dogs sleep in our bedroom too in their own beds, so I think she feels safe being with the pack. :love:

I suspect alot of puppies just get cold. I would suggest you cover the crate with a thick heavy blanket to keep it warm.

One of my whippets who sleeps on his own beanbag UNDERNEATH a feather doona still wakes me up through the night because he gets uncovered and then cold. I've got him some pj's now and he sleeps through. so try to make sure the pup is really warm.

Linda

I suspect alot of puppies just get cold. I would suggest you cover the crate with a thick heavy blanket to keep it warm.

One of my whippets who sleeps on his own beanbag UNDERNEATH a feather doona still wakes me up through the night because he gets uncovered and then cold. I've got him some pj's now and he sleeps through. so try to make sure the pup is really warm.

Linda

I agree, and a JRT just doesn't have the body weight to keep itself warm. Would love to see a pic of the whippet wearing PJs... :o

Cheers, getting crate this arvo and will take the advice. :o

Hi Hacky,

You might want to invest in a crate cover too. I don't know if your pets shop has them when you buy the crate - might help with the cold issue. I bought our crate from a seller on Ebay 'PuppyPower' and got the crate cover as well for a good price ... works well although I haven't had cause to use the cover as yet as Melbourne has been too warm and Noodle has a thick coat.

good luck with the crate training :)

I just had to click on this thread as the title kept popping up and making me think of my ex-boyfriend :o

But while I'm here I agree with the others about a crate in your room.

Better yet, tuck her in to bed with you :)

Edited by Clyde

Linda

I agree, and a JRT just doesn't have the body weight to keep itself warm. Would love to see a pic of the whippet wearing PJs... :vomit:

Here's Puck all ready for ni ni's :)

105-0531_IMG.jpg

:vomit: woo hoo, it worked! she slept like a baby in the crate, whined to go to the toilet then pretty much went straight back to sleep after i took her out side. thanks noodle nut and everyone else

Well the first couple of nights she had no crate. so i introduced her to that and she took to it no worries then when bed time came i took the crate into mour bedroom, i put a warm wheat bag in under her blanket, lured her in with a treat and shu the door. No whining at all. after she went to the toilet and i put her back in she whined for 30 seconds then fell asleep. i had maggie my older dog sleep next to her which they both seemed to like. :)

Well done. :D

She sounds content now.......... :)

.except watch her with a wheat bag... i would worry about a pup chewing it ...

Here I am lucky! I use bricks heated on the slow combustion heater :) wrapped in the sleeve of a WOOL jumper... they stay warm all night, and cannot leak or be chewed.

Linda

I agree, and a JRT just doesn't have the body weight to keep itself warm. Would love to see a pic of the whippet wearing PJs... :)

Here's Puck all ready for ni ni's :)

105-0531_IMG.jpg

ohhhh, I love it :D... very cute jammies. My Auntie has a whippie and I really love the breed.

I am glad your little JRT has settled Hacky. I have also used a hot water bottle but filled it with tap water hot only not boiled. BTW has anybody tried a heated bed for their dogs. My Elly the Dachie feels the cold also. Seems ok at the moment but winter is very cold here. I wondered if the heated beds might get too hot though. I would have her in the bed but OH is never going to agree to that and I also worry about her falling or jumping out.

I bought a heated bed for my whips, not that they need it, they've got so many other places to sleep. They dont use it but it doesn't get very warm at all. I used to find it hard to know for sure if it was even on. Only when I kept my hand there for a while could I feel a slight warmth coming through. It's a firm foam mattress with a fleecy cover, think the heat pads are alot warmer. I know of a cat that got burnt by one of them. Weird really, it just kept laying there, it wasn't dead :laugh: dont know why it didn't move.

Linda