Sentinel Spectrum

Looking at changing to Sentinel Spectrum for my pups. Seems like an easier way to worm with one dosage per month.

Just had two quick questions.

Do I need a product like Frontline aswell? I've read in the forums that a few people don't worry about flea protection as they don't get them where they live. If this is the case, could I get away with having Frontline on hand in case on of my pups gets fleas?

Also, my puppies are 5.5kgs and 3.5kgs. Is it safe for me to give them half a tablet each of the 4.5kg-11kg variety?

Edited by kimness

Does this tablet cover fleas too? It would have said in the box.

If I don't remember wrong, Sentinel Spectrum covers heartworm (plus some other worms) and flea protection, may not need Frontline

and there is another type under this brand called Interceptor, which only cover heartworm (plus some other worms) and no flea protection

Sentinal inhibits the fleas on the dog from breeding but does not kill the fleas onthe dog...

if you don't have a big problem with fleas on the dog, you could get away with no frontline...

I use sentinal and have no problems but i like to have frontline on hand just in case...

Sentinal inhibits the fleas on the dog from breeding but does not kill the fleas onthe dog...

if you don't have a big problem with fleas on the dog, you could get away with no frontline...

I use sentinal and have no problems but i like to have frontline on hand just in case...

Thanks, that's what I thought.

And what about using half tablets?

The issue you have with Sentinel (apart from what has been mentioned about it not actually killing fleas but sterilises them instead) is that is is also a heartworm preventative. If you are using it to prevent heartworm you must give it monthly. If you are not in a heartworm area and you don't have a lot of fleas you could give it every other month instead and you'll be fine.

You can also give other flea products while they are on Sentinel Sepctrum. Just recently I had the occassion to give Advantix as a rescue brought fleas in with it and I didn't want them multiplying while on the host dog. Then, a few days later, I gave Sentinel when they were due for this.

When my pup was still small i asked about giving sentinal - as i had the 25+kg one... they said as long as they weigh half of the minimum weight requirement, it was ok to give them half... so in this case, 1/2 a tab would be acceptable for 12.5kg and over and under 25kg.

And yes, CAPSTAR are another brand i like to keep on hand which i use in conjunction with sentinal.