When Walking Two Dogs...

I let my dogs walk in front as long as they don't pull on the leads. When we have to walk past people I call them into heel position and once past give them the release word to go back out in front. I figure it is to be enjoyable for them as it's their walk and whilst they are nice and calm happy for them to stroll in front of me.

I used to walk Sparty & Kira on the left in a heel position..... then found come trials kira would consistantly allow enough room for Sparty (between us normally) in the rials as well DOH!!! >.<

Well, on the beach yesterday I figured out how to walk my two together so they walk perfectly! I just took Dusty's lead off. Wherever Benson is, she wants to be right beside him so while we were walking along the beach, she went leadless and it made for a perfect walk!

Can't do that on the street though, so we're back to untangling the puppy every two paces.

I walk my two GSD's at the same time...and walk them one on each side :confused: I put whatever collar is handy on them, use a double ended leash and we head off. They will walk on which ever side i put them on - i don't always have, say Bronx on my left and Sabe on the right, i'll swap them around as we start as well as during the walk if i so decide...lol

How i did it...not sure...it just happened as it was easiest for me - but both my boys are 'Mummy's boys' so i think they were just doing as told...lol

I walk my two BCs together and do the same as Kelpiesrule and Wolfgirl - for the same reasons. If we're on a dangerous track in the bush, they go behind me. Sometimes they'll be one on each side, but when I have them in close, they're both on my left.

If I'm biking with them (in the few places we can down here) they're both on the left, and I have a slightly longer leash on Fergus, so they can find their own space.

Both of them have a good response to a verbal Stop and Close.

Mine are all walked on the left hand side :)

yup same here - sort of infront or to the left of me... don't really mind so long as they don't pull me over :(

Their leads tangle sometimes, but in all honesty, both have been very easy to walk in one hand and together :rofl:

We made some headway today in the tandem walking lessons. I tried short leads....and it worked much better than giving either or both of them some length. I have a leather lead called a "traffic lead" for Benson that I use when I want him walking close by my side. He had that on and Dusty had a slightly longer one. With her between Benson and I, we soon had it sorted and by the time we were on the home stretch of our very slow walk (shuffle??) around the block, they were walking quite well together and I even picked up the pace from extremely slow (almost snail pace) to near normal.

If I take all three ( :) ) then they are all on my left, usually works quite fine, despite the size differences. Gracie closest and a little behind, Poppy and Ruby out in front a little with Poppy usually on the outer, despite being alpha out of the dogs.

I cheat and walk my 2 on a coupler leash with a swivvel thinggy for when they decide to switch places. I usually prefer them to walk out in front of me (even if its just a little) because I can see them there and make sure they are safe. With them beside me because they are so small they fall off my radar unless Im lokoing right down at them... which results in me tripping over my own feet.