Parafin Oil For Ear Probs

percyk

one of our dogs is allergic to a lot of meds so we always double check before we go for over the counter preparations

seems like hes got an infestation of mites in his ears

rang the vet ( described the little white mites visible in the dark ear wax that hes been producing of late and theres been some scratching)

revcolution is the treatment of choice but he is allergic to it - i guess its only going to be a very small dose but im still hesitant

so i asked about other remedies and oil was suggested - either parafin or olive - basically youre drowning the little blighters

so i dropped a few drops into each ear and massaged well having cleaned out as much as possible and in a few days the wax production had dropped significantly

gave him a bath but his ears are still oily - the long hair that is

any ideas how to get rid of this oil? i thought i did a thorough job when shampooing but hes still looking like fonzie from happy days!

i was thinking there might be some grooming powder ? flea powder that might absorb the excess?

appreciate any tips

( and if youre thinking that the oil is just a wivestale please yell out cos i dont want to repeat it if all i get is a greasy looking dog!)

I have used oil on ear mites in horses and it worked very well. You need to leave it in for the best effect.

You might be able to get rid of the excess by syringing the ears out with warm water and malaseb which is often used as an ear wash

I worked in veterinary for several years and grooming for 20 years. I was under the impression ear mites could not be seen by the naked eye, only under microscope. I have tested this and believed it to be true.

thanks for that everyone

Gashmir, i have never seen ear mites before and i believe that i have never had that problem with any of my dogs til this one but the tip of the cotton bud ( yes i know to be careful not to delve too deeply with a a cotton bud) had many wiggly round things caught up in the wax and my daughter verified it...at first i thought i was seeing things...as if the tiny strands of the cotton bud were moving themselves!

the vet didnt dispute the fact either - she just said' oh so you could see them ?' and then went on to give me the advice re revolution and the oil treatment...surely she wouldve suggested that i bring in the dog for a test and not just diagnose over the phone?

hmmm ill keep an eye on it anyway...thanks for responding

im wondering how i can effectively get the 'greasy look' the flick - i might just have to wait to wash him again when it's time

Apple cider vinegar may help remove the oily look ,also cornstarch/flour, potato flour things like that brushed through.

Not sure what your dog is allergic too specifically, but you may find using essential oils in the oil helps too, a drop of T tree oil for example.