Puppy Eating Poo

colorama

Hello Im new to the forum. We have just brought our very first boxer puppy he just 10 weeks old and hes just lovely,Im in the mist of potty training and thats been a bit hairy at times but we are getting there, its been a long time since i have had a puppy running around again but well worth it.

My question is why would my puppy be eating his own poo and he thinks it just yumo.. YUK... will he stop eating it and another quick question we have chooks and i have spotted him eating the chook poo too and i have growled at him to leave it but i know he has had some, it wont upset his tummy or make him sick will it...

Thankyou

Dogs love poo, possum, horse, cow, chook, human, whatever. With mine their all time favourite is cat, they go mad for it. Some dogs will eat other dogs' poo as well. Puppies sometimes eat their own own poo but I've found that they usually grow out of it and yours probably will too, the best solution is to pick up as soon as they do it, if you're feeding him at regular times it's pretty easy to estimate when they're going to empty out.

I've had chooks and when I did all my dogs would eat their poo if they could get hold of it. If you can stop him getting to it do so, but he probably won't come to much harm, mine never did. Unfortunately he probably won't grow out of eating chook poo.

Make sure you worm him regularly.

Its natural, all animals eat other animals faeces. It is most common in young animals, they do it to boost their immune system.

faeces can also be a good source of nutrients and protien and give them some helpful bacteria.

its disgustingly good for them..

eventually they should stop.

here you go

Many animals eat poop on a regular basis. These include rabbits, rodents, gorillas, many insects such as dung beetles and flies, and yes...even dogs. (Keep that in mind the next time a dog wants to lick you!) Herbivores such as rabbits and rodents eat their own poop because their diet of plants is hard to digest efficiently, and they have to make two passes at it to get everything out of the meal. This is equivalent to a cow chewing its cud, only cows are able to re-eat their food without having to poop it out first. Another reason why animals eat poop is that poop contains vitamins produced by their intestinal bacteria. The animal is unable to absorb the vitamins through the intestinal wall, but can get at them by eating the poop. Poop also contains a certain amount of protein.

A dog’s guts have a powerful immune response to bacteria. The modern dog’s diet can be so sterile that they may even seek out bacteria in order to address the balance and keep their immune system working effectively. So, it is important to point out that your dog will not suffer many ill effects as a result of eating poop; at least not in the way that humans would. Dogs are particularly fond of cat poop because cat poop is high in protein. So don’t be surprised – as an owner of a cat and a dog - if you never have to clean the kitty litter!

Edited by kyliegirl

Have a 3.5 mo old here and a few weeks ago he was driving us nuts eating his own and other droppings. :p

I did a search on here and two 'remedies" were mentioned, one being pineapple and the other mashed pumpkin.

We tried a little pineapple and it gave him the :laugh:

He appears to be "slowing" down that habit the last few days, but we stand ready to pick up as soon as he drops and that includes first thing in the am (5.15-5.30) when its still dark :rofl:

Our pup used to eat her own poo also, the pineapple thing worked for a while but if I picked her poo up too quickly she would make it a race to get to it. I had to distract her once she went then she forgot about it and Id pick it up later...

she eventually grew out of it...