Once Or Twice A Day?

I currently feed my dogs 1/3 of their daily food in the AM and then the rest in the evening. I am considering going to once a day so as to keep them hungry and hence a little more "motivated" whilst training :) what do you guys think? Most of the gun dog handlers I used to work with in the UK fed only in the evening but used regular substantial treats whilst the dogs worked. 1.5cm cubes of chicken for instance. It is quite feasable that the dog may consume 20-25 of these pieces at a minimum during a day. Please comment and discuss!

I have 2 very active dogs so I find twice a day is best.

I also don't feed them in bowls, they either have it in their buster cubes or all over the lawn so it gives them something to do.

Twice a day. I usually give the meat meal in the morning with vegies, and bone/big meal at night.

Why do people feed a big meal at night?

My train of thought is that if I feed them the bigger meal in the morning, they are more active during the day, so would need more energy. The big meal at night would be sitting in their stomachs while they are sleeping so I also though it may digest better while they are more active during the day.

It seems most people give them the bigger meal at night, can someone explain this reasoning to me so if I am doing the wrong thing I can change it.

Guest Tess32
Twice a day. I usually give the meat meal in the morning with vegies, and bone/big meal at night.

My train of thought is that if I feed them the bigger meal in the morning, they are more active during the day, so would need more energy. The big meal at night would be sitting in their stomachs while they are sleeping so I also though it may digest better while they are more active during the day.

It seems most people give them the bigger meal at night, can someone explain this reasoning to me so if I am doing the wrong thing I can change it.

Because I like to be there to supervise bones. I don't have time in the morning to sit there and watch three dogs take 30 mins to eat half a chicken :)

Also, I don't like them to run around immediately after a meal - so at night they stay in for half an hour after eating.

Edited by Tess32

We feed twice a day, and that's largely because we want to minimise the risk of bloat. The adults don't get a lot in the morning - either half a cup of kibble or a couple of greyhound bikkies. But it's enough to put something in their stomach.

We also do bones in the evening so we can supervise.

My belief is that the working sheep dogs were fed at night....after work... If they were fed in the morning, it would make them sluggish and not run as well as they may otherwise.

As for pets, probably personal preference :D

Mine get fed twice a day with equal amounts each meal. If I am working the young BC on sheep he gets a smaller breakfast at least 2 hours before he works and the night meal is a bit larger.

If you are going to use food as a motivator for training during the day, then it makes sense not to feed a morning meal.

Your dogs will be keener to work for the food, and will not be sluggish due to a belly full of food.

I also agree that there is a risk of bloat if you work a dog too soon after it has been fed.

However, if you use food to train during the day, it should be calculated as part of the dog's main meal, not in addition to, otherwise your dog will become overweight.

Julie

We've only ever fed Zero once a day - i figured that wild dogs only get to eat at most once a day so it's a little more natural... but at the same time, like humans, smaller meals at more regular times are probably better for the dog's stomach and energy levels. Just disregard me arguing with myself...

My dog doesnt eat her food if I give it in the morning. So its either afternoon or night meals for her. But I dont want her eating too late at night cause I figured it might keep her energy levels up when she should be sleeping. Like if I eat too much late at night it disturbs my sleep.

Ours get fed twice a day....and the same amount at each fed.

The only time they are not fed is if we are going to a show...then the show dogs dont get the morning feed.

If we go to obedience or show training, they dont get fed until we return.