Collie/border Collie People - In Here Please!

I will be taking on a rescue Collie soon, and was wondering what Collie/Border collie people use to heartworm their dogs with.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the best product to avoid the Ivermectin problem?

Edited for spelling

Edited by Shepherd Lover

Interceptor Spectrum is the only safe heartworm/intestinal wormer for Ivermectin sensitive breeds that I have found :rolleyes: It is also well priced.

Alternatively there is a DNA test out there now that enables you to see if your dog has the ivermectin sensitivity.

You can also get the daily tablets, Dimmitrol.

Tess do you know where these can be obtained as there is almost no supply in South east qld as no one stocks them anymore as there appears to be no demand and suppliers no longer have them either?

Dimmitrol is readily available via a couple of wholesalers we deal with. We always keep a few bottles as we have regular demand. If your local store doesn't stock and doesn't know where to get them, send me a PM and I'll give you some contacts for them.

Sags

:rolleyes:

We have Rough Collies also(have had them for over 40yrs) and we too use Sentinel Spectrum( previously interceptor spectrum),

The DNA Test for Ivermectin Sensitivity costs around $60 and is well woret it because if the dog is Ivermectin Sensitive then there is a whole heap of other drugs that the dog MUST not be given

have a look at

www.miniaussierescue.org and look at the Buster Alert oart- print this off and have it handy if you have to take the Collie to the Vets as alot of Vets still do not know or understand the ivermectin sensitivity( if they are IVR affected then the dog cannot be given drugs such as morphine-commonly used for pain relief after surgery-)

PM me if you want any further info-more than happy to assist

Edited by InspectorRex

Interceptor Spectrum is what we use. Used to use Sentinal but it got quite pricey.

Alternatively there is a DNA test out there now that enables you to see if your dog has the ivermectin sensitivity.

Yep there sure is :(

And even cheaper here - I've used them for a year and a half - good prompt service.

I use sentinel Spectrum with my Border Collies - useful since it's a hydatid tapeworm wormer as well, so is acceptable for dogs re-entry into Tasmania.

ET fix typo

Edited by Tassie