How To Tell If Anal Glands Are Full

ok I've posted about our JRT's anal glands here before, a while ago, and how the first time I noticed them leaking was in the back seat of the car when he was asleep. I have since had the vet check them and express (while the dog was under for a minor operation on his dew claw) and was told there was barely anything in there anyway. I didn't really worry about it but I find that lately, about once a week, the glands are leaking themselves a little bit, usually when he is asleep. It isn't hugely overwhelming but I sniff near his tail and it is definitely that fishy smell.

Since I am worried he is going to leak or spread the smell onto the furniture, carpet or bedding I find myself sniffing near his bum a couple times a day. He definitely gives me a look of 'what on earth are you doing?'

So I had asked the vet how to express them myself. He pointed out where the glands were and noted that I probably wouldn't need to do it because they empty themselves when he poos. His stools have been a bit soft as of late so I have added pumpkin to his diet and they have hardened, but the leakage is still happening. I try to express the glands myself but don't really get anywhere, I use a bit of toilet paper and there is no liquid on it afterwards. I can definitely feel where they're at, right around 8 and 4 o clock on the outside of the anus, but just can't seem to get the gist of pushing in and up/out to get anything. Plus I am worried I am going to hurt him.

Anyway, my questions after rambling are:

- What are the chances I can do damage by attempting to get this squeezing right? My vet said I can't really do any damage, but I read on another forum about the possibility of rupturing a gland?

- How do you know that they're full (apart from the obvious leakage)? What I can feel now is like they are 'bulbous', if you know what I mean, but I don't know if that's what they normally feel like

Would love to be able to take care of this myself rather than another vet visit. Not that I mind but since his dew claw operation the pup has gotten very antsy when he goes there and has a hard time allowing to be examined. I'll go again if the leakage continues but just thought I'd ask your thoughts here!

Sorry for being long-winded!

Edited by belgavin

yeah I read that. He doesn't scoot at all or lick his bum or anything. I wouldn't think anything of it if a bit was coming out onto his fur when he poos, but the way it is happening when he is asleep/relaxed doesn't seem normal, or is it?

yeah I read that. He doesn't scoot at all or lick his bum or anything. I wouldn't think anything of it if a bit was coming out onto his fur when he poos, but the way it is happening when he is asleep/relaxed doesn't seem normal, or is it?

It's normal for those with full anal sacs! You need to learn how to do it or put up with going to the vet or groomer to have it done regularly. I am a groomer and have taught people how it do it and it always takes a while to get the knack. You can't really do damage by practicing. You CAN do damage by not having them emptied if he needs it.

i dont know too much about it... but my vet told me the more you empty the glands the more you need to. i.e. the more you empty them the more they will fill and need to be emptied manually.

in regards to emptying them, if you can actually feel them as you said, grab some toilet paper, and with one hand place the paper over where you can feel the glands... push in and squeeze a little... thy should empty then...

my brothers dog scoots when she needs hers emptied, but my mothers just walk over to hr and sook lol...

Feed your dog a good diet and this will lessen the chance of you needing to empty them. The sacs are for two purposes. One is to 'mark' their scent and one is to help the passing of the feaces. If you feed your dog only soft foods with little fibre (such as canned dog food) then you will increase your chance of having anal gland issues.

All dogs have anal glands and all dogs will have innapropriate times when their glands will secrete. The reason why it is noticed more with small dogs is that they are often on your lap or your furniture whereas larger dogs are not.

The smell will dissapate after a while and only other dogs will be able to smell it. Apart from regularly manually expressing them and making sure your dog is fed a good diet, there isn't much you can do. It is a normal part of dogs. :(

mine scoot on their bums, or lick their paws a lot when their glands are full..

someone suggested to me to introduce some pumpkin to their diet to help ..

I just get them emptied at the vets every so often, if it's being a problem.

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

My smaller dog used to scoot on his bum. Vet emptied them a couple of times and taught me to do it. Also suggested more fibre (was on dry food) like Metamuscil (psyllium husks). vet also said the anal glands tended to be more of a problem in smaller dogs?

I now gently try to express them when I bath him (only about once a month, sometimes longer).

If not full, then not much comes out and I leave him alone.

My girl has terrible anal gland issues, she eats a good diet and still gets full glands that need to be emptied with assistance, She starts off with scooting a little but then she wags her tail and omg i near vomit at the smell, Now and then she has some on her bed and off to the vet we go lol

My vet has suggested that they remove her anal glands if they become blocked again , she assures me that the dog can live without them and that they are used for leaving scent/marking territory etc , she also commented that my dog has one anal gland that seems to be in a position that would be hard for her to empty herself normally . I always get the vet to do them . I have heard alot of small dogs have problems with anal glands tho my dogs are labs .

Hi , I have 2 mini schnauzers and One of them have leaky anal glands. Vet checked nothing wrong just over active glands,so once a week at bath time she gets a bit of a squish and no more leaky smelly problem. Shes happy and so am I. I went to my vet a few times so as she could teach me and now Im the expressing queen.Love your dog,have to love smelly anal glands too.

cheers and Good luck :laugh::laugh:

Ah yes, a subject I have a great deal of experience with - in fact, I just wrote an article in the Doggie Rescue magazine on this very matter!

A recent foster dog had a very stinky bottom, no scooting but some licking in that area so it was off to the vets - end of problem.

My Italian Greyhound has Inflammatory Bowel Disease which causes his to need emptying on a regular basis. I left it a little too long once and one squeeze by the vet led to the surgery walls getting a good splattering and in the end, so did she. Revolting ...

I have zero interest in doing this myself, I prefer to pay ...

Ah yes, a subject I have a great deal of experience with - in fact, I just wrote an article in the Doggie Rescue magazine on this very matter!

A recent foster dog had a very stinky bottom, no scooting but some licking in that area so it was off to the vets - end of problem.

My Italian Greyhound has Inflammatory Bowel Disease which causes his to need emptying on a regular basis. I left it a little too long once and one squeeze by the vet led to the surgery walls getting a good splattering and in the end, so did she. Revolting ...

I have zero interest in doing this myself, I prefer to pay ...