Inside Dog Has Pneumonia?

hi all,

our 8 month old pup gave us a bit of a fright early friday morning, when he woke us up by being sick beside the bed.

straight after the happened he lost all of his body functions and rolled onto his side and stopped breathing.

my other half realised this straight away and started to push chest together to allow him to get some air. he wouldn't open his mouth i had to forcelly open it up for him and checked his air way which was ok. straight away i ran up the emergency vet and rushed him up there, lucky its only 15 minutes away from us.

the vet check him out by the time we got there he was breathing but was still having problems and was more alert than before.

they kept him over night and in the morning they xrayed his chest to see how his lungs and heart were.

the xrays showed that there is fulid on the lungs and his heart is normal size for his age. so the vet has put this episode down to pneumonia, but is a little unsure why he passed out and stopped breathing.

anyway he is on antibiotics for 2 weeks then has a check up xray in 2 weeks time to see if it has cleared up.

has any one else had this problem before?

Raz has been through pneumonia with Pancake, she was critical when taken to emergency care. I'm sure she'd share her recent experience with you.

It's horrible how quickly they go down, they can appear normal one minute and on deaths door within a few hours.

Edited by Warley

he's his normal self now runing around and wanting to play he is very happy. its very hard to keep him quiet and still!

the minute he starts playing and moving around the house hes panting. we are trying to keep in one spot and sit with him cause he just follows us everywhere.

he's his normal self now runing around and wanting to play he is very happy. its very hard to keep him quiet and still!

the minute he starts playing and moving around the house hes panting. we are trying to keep in one spot and sit with him cause he just follows us everywhere.

Woow :( poor pup. I hope he will be ok?

our 8 month old pup gave us a bit of a fright early friday morning, when he woke us up by being sick beside the bed.

straight after the happened he lost all of his body functions and rolled onto his side and stopped breathing.

the xrays showed that there is fulid on the lungs and his heart is normal size for his age. so the vet has put this episode down to pneumonia, but is a little unsure why he passed out and stopped breathing.

I can't say that this is exactly what happened, but the passing out could have been from the vomiting. It happens in people too; when someone/somedog vomits and then breaths it into their lungs it can cause pneumonia and it can screw up the vagal nerve. The vagal nerve runs through the chest near the esophagus and trachea. The incorrect stimulation to the nerve can cause the heart to slow or even cardiac arrest and death. So, try not to worry to much, it could have been a fluke that it happened.

did the antibiotics clear it up? and how long did it take her to get over it?

Hi Cooperblue. Pancake was in hospital for a few days in an oxygen cage. Came home and was on the antibiotics. Went back to the vet for a routine weekly checkup after being in Emergency and temp raced up to 40. Got home and had to race her back an hour or two later with a relapse. Antibiotics have helped but she still has an echo in her lungs.

Goodluck. Bloody horrible when they go down so fast, isnt it.

Edited by raz

we have to take him back next week for a xray

Why is he being xrayed at his checkup? Didnt the emergency vets already take an xray? If so they can just listen to his lungs to hear if there is still fluid on them.

hi all,

my other half realised this straight away and started to push chest together to allow him to get some air. he wouldn't open his mouth i had to forcelly open it up for him and checked his air way which was ok. straight away i ran up the emergency vet and rushed him up there, lucky its only 15 minutes away from us.

the vet check him out by the time we got there he was breathing but was still having problems and was more alert than before.

they kept him over night and in the morning they xrayed his chest to see how his lungs and heart were.

anyway he is on antibiotics for 2 weeks then has a check up xray in 2 weeks time to see if it has cleared up.

has any one else had this problem before?

Your situation was a little more scary than mine :cheer:

my 4 sibes have had pneumonia as well my boy went down with it really bad he was in such bad way that when the vet checked his chest thought he had his Stethoscope around the wrong way as he couldn't hear his heartbeat that's how badly he was congested the poor boy was my youngest girl 2 and a half was not as bad as diesel but still quite ill, my other 2 girls however only had a touch of it. they also had 2 weeks of antibiotics and they're fine now.

3 other dogs in our street that I know of have had the same thing :cheer:

Edited by articpower sibes

we have to take him back next week for a xray

Why is he being xrayed at his checkup? Didnt the emergency vets already take an xray? If so they can just listen to his lungs to hear if there is still fluid on them.

hes there today for the xray i will definately be questioning why he had to have one when i go to pick him up later.

hes been on antibiotics for two weeks and i dont see much of a improvement. he is still panting when doing bugger all.

i guess ill find out whats going on later today.

xray shows that the infection is clearing up :thumbsup:

the poor bugger has got three different types of antibiotics to take.

the first week he would just take them out of your hand and eat them, now hes learn't that they are not tasty treats and will hardly take them in his food.

so now we have to force them down.