Matts Matts Matts...aarrgghh!

I wouldnt take him to a groomers anyway. I took my boy to a groomer with mats and all they did is rip his fur out - very disappointing.

You could order some OMG grooming solution from plush puppy online - they are pretty quick at getting it out. It doesnt get rid of matts but it is great for pulling the matts apart.

Otherwise try mixing Aloveen or another doggie leave-in conditioner with water or, if you dont have doggie conditioner, try Pantene (the human stuff) leave in conditioner and mix it with water. Put it in a spray bottle if you can and wet the hair well. Then work those fingers and pull the matts apart. I also use the blade edge of a pair of hair or nail scissors (nail scissors if it is near a delicate area) to prise apart knots. You might need to do it in sessions.

Make sure you give the outside of the coat a light brush first to get rid of any excess dirt (so it doesnt turn to mud).

'course you could always just cut big chunks out. When I have taken mine to a kennel they usually come back over brushed and groomed. I'ld be a bit annoyed with the kennel if I was you. ;)

I would be very angry at the kennel for not grooming my dog.How sad and unprofessional,isn't that what you paid them to do.I use pantene leave in conditioner for my dogs coat when I don't have any doggy stuff.She gets knots under her armpits.Good luck with the dematting.

From a groomers point of view the more you put in the worse the coat becomes unless you dematt straight away.Matts set worse if washed or damped too much especially if humid.

What brushing tools do you have??

If you have a slicker brush seperate in sections & work through.The more dead coat you can remove the easier the knot will be.

If you havea matt breaker or undercoat rake that will also work well if the knots arent badly set.

Also dont cut ,if there is a knot splice it in the direction the hair hangs.

" I took my boy to a groomer with mats and all they did is rip his fur out - very disappointing"

They could have clipped him off or did you not wish that to be done?

Newnewf... I have been a groomer for 25 years and show long haired dogs. I am assuming turtle is a newfie? unfortunately There is no possible way that matts to the skin can form in 3 days. It is more likely, he was bathed by them or got wet which makes existing matts (unless you can comb him thru, it's considered matted) worse and more obvious. *CARO...there are only 2 ways to get matts out. Pull them out or cut them off. If you bring a knotty dog to a groomer you have to expect one of the two. Just wanted to shed some light from the seemingly always blamed groomer! Thanks.

I am with you gashmir in that dog groomers do get blamed for everything, if people paid more attention to their own grooming they will reliase why it is some times neccasary to cut out knots, and even shave back to the skin.

You gotta love the people in the middle of winter that say "Don't take too much off its cold" yeah right, the dog is matted to the skin, nothing but a 10 or 15 blade will get under it.

Or the best one " I just bathed it and it went like this " of course when you wet it it will look worse :laugh:

So before bagging out the groomers, take a good look at what you are/aren't doing in keeping your dog knot free.

Edited by Silverblue

Newnewf... I have been a groomer for 25 years and show long haired dogs. I am assuming turtle is a newfie? unfortunately There is no possible way that matts to the skin can form in 3 days. It is more likely, he was bathed by them or got wet which makes existing matts (unless you can comb him thru, it's considered matted) worse and more obvious. *CARO...there are only 2 ways to get matts out. Pull them out or cut them off. If you bring a knotty dog to a groomer you have to expect one of the two. Just wanted to shed some light from the seemingly always blamed groomer! Thanks.

3 days? she said weeks.

We used to have a mikki matt splitter for all our previous dogs which we were lucky enough to buy from a pet shop for about $6 they are :laugh: awesome but the only place I have seen them recently is on www.petplanet.co.uk

they are worth the trouble its a great product ...and takes some of the stress out of dematting for you and your newf.

don't know why we don't sell them over here? :vomit:

must remember to buy myself a new one!!! good luck and what a cute newf!!!

3 days? she said weeks.

My mistake, thought i read 3 days!

AARRGGHH!!! What to do, what to do??!!

Just kidding... :wink:

I'll try a little of the serum as it's not all that "wet" (I know, it doesn't make much sense!). We'll see how it goes...

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I may end up trying all of them at once and have a Newfie paste on my hands and end up with a new breed of Newfie - the hairless variety! Anyone heard of Nads?! :laugh:

" I took my boy to a groomer with mats and all they did is rip his fur out - very disappointing"

They could have clipped him off or did you not wish that to be done?

Pull them out or cut them off. If you bring a knotty dog to a groomer you have to expect one of the two. Just wanted to shed some light from the seemingly always blamed groomer! Thanks.
I am with you gashmir in that dog groomers do get blamed for everything, if people paid more attention to their own grooming they will reliase why it is some times neccasary to cut out knots, and even shave back to the skin.

You gotta love the people in the middle of winter that say "Don't take too much off its cold" yeah right, the dog is matted to the skin, nothing but a 10 or 15 blade will get under it.

Or the best one " I just bathed it and it went like this " of course when you wet it it will look worse :rofl:

So before bagging out the groomers, take a good look at what you are/aren't doing in keeping your dog knot free.

My dogs are brushed and groomed every day so dont assume I took my dog to the groomers in poor condition. My dogs have more products and more done to their coat than time or money I spend on my own hair.

When I picked up my dog from the groomer he was very distressed. He had a few minor matts behind the ears and under the chin - which is usual for a young, double coated dog which lives and plays with other dogs. I didnt expect him to be cowering when I (or the vet) reached a hand toward his head which was red where the hair was pulled out! I have since spoken to a couple of other people with double coated breeds who wont take their dogs back there. Unfortunately when you are new to an area it is hard to know who has the experience to deal with a particular breed and coat. I don't bother with a groomer at all now. However, I would recommend getting as many matts out as possible yourself before heading to a groomer, I doubt any groomer would put in the same amount of time an owner would put in.