Dexter Has Sore Legs.. Update After Vet Visit

We have an appointment at the vet for Monday night but i am really worried about Dexter's back legs. He has been getting sore on and off after very minimal exercise and is very 'proppy' on his back legs. He is 6-7 months old now and i really hope there is nothing major wrong. The vet nurse saw him today and noticed his gait was not right as well and agreed that we should get him looked at asap. She said his knees didn't look quite right when he was walking.

Could someone tell me what the symptoms of hip dysplasia usually are? And what knee problems could be a possibility. I am really worried, he is just a baby :cooldance:

Edited by Cosmolo

I am glad you are getting Dexter checked,Not sure of what heriditary problem you breed has but I have had two Toy poodles go lame at that age.One had Legge- Perthe disease which was not diagnosed correctly for 4 months.She was operated on at 12 mths and is fully recovered.My other bigger Toy/Mini poodle has two Luxating pattella's plus a torn crutial ligament.Has been operated on but sadly is very very lame. he is only one year old also.

Thanks.. We're not sure of Dexter's history or parentage as he was a rescue puppy so i guess it could be anything. I don't know enough about any of the possibilities though, which is why i'm so concerned. I don't want it to be anything serious :cooldance:

Cosmolo could Dexters back be out through rough play?

It may not be his knees or legs at all.

Get it checked out but maybe see a chiro too? They may be able to help if it is back related and not a knee/hip problem like displaysia

I would be going to a Chiro , as if he has something "out" he will continue to grow wrong to compensate for the problem.

It is possible it is Legge Pethes or HD, patellas etc, as all problems found in Pure breds are also found in Cross breds (despite what the "gardner" says)

Ester C tablets are miracle workers for all joint problems.

It is possible that something is out and will look into a chiro or acupuncture once he has seen the vet. Hard to explain but it does look specific to his joints with the way he is walking. Hope we can find out exactly what it is tomorrow.

Well he went to the vet tonight with OH and is now on carprophen and a joint formula. The carprophen is for 3 weeks and then we will re assess as the vet did feel some inflamation in his hock joints.

He said we could x ray but as its mild, its highly unlikely to show us anything in his joints or hips. I am a bit worried about the side efects of carprophen because i believe its the same as rimadyl- can anyone confirm this?

So i guess we just have to wait and see.. Does anyone know of anything else we could do in the mean time?

Thanks shoemonster- you'll have to meet him, you would love him.

He has just got home and looks so stiff when he walks- he is hardly lifting his back legs when he is walking, doesn't look like he is flexing at all :(

Guest Clover

I am sorry you did not get any definite answers from your Vet :(. I hope it is nothing serious, and that Xrays etc will be done if there is no improvement in the coming weeks.

Maybe crate rest him and see if there is an improvement.

Is it both his legs that you think are effected? If his hips were popped out the vet would have been able to tell I am sure.

Does he pull away in pain if you poke around a particular area?

Rymadil is a brand name for carprophen. I know that some people have siad their dogs have had adverse effects from it but when my girl had a week or so of tablets she was fine with it.

I had one once who fell off a table & landed flat like a frog........No apparant injury then, but in time he started to slightly drag his back feet, you could hear his nails slightly scraping as he ran, but no apparant pain as such.....My Greyhound bloke dislocated his hips & massaged the tendons/muscles back into position & realigned the hips, he was fixed in one session.

I am going to have him looked at by Karen www.caninerehab.com.au as well- can't do any harm. It is both legs with the right leg seemingly worse than the left. He doesn't obviously pull away in pain although is uncomfortable when you extend his legs to the rear.